UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:19 pm

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
 Can Jung's psychology replace the spiritual path? 

Can psychology replace the spiritual path?
Yes. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No. 100%  100%  [ 7 ]
Dunno. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Can Jung's psychology replace the spiritual path? 
Founder

Post Re: fringe
fox

fox wrote:
In an episode of the series Fringe, they discovered a cylinder at the origin of an earthquake,
it looks like the tower of London. At the end of the episode, the object disappears underground.
I can not remember if later, it will again question the cylinder in the series.

Very interesting. I forgot to write that when the "penis" came out of the vagina of the world soul, she had to draw up the knees (the legs). In this way her "penis" looked vertically into the sky. It was said that this was extremely important. I do not really know why. Has it something to do with influencing the universe?

I, however, was reminded of my "cross image" # 7:

I call it the "image with the alchemical eye" since it contains the four alchemical colors, black, white, yellow and red. And the "cross tree" is green (and brown). This is the benedicta viriditas, the blessed green, the healing substance of Hildegard von Bingen; also called the all-healing essence (medicina catholica) or the Alexipharmakum, the counter-poison. Further the red tincture or the quintessence.

The world soul had the same positition as the red embryo in the image above. Only today I see that it is perhaps the position she needs to give birth to her child.

Remo

The more loved by the wise.'
(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Last edited by Remo Roth on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Founder

Post Re: Synchronicity Confirmation
Gregory

Gregory Sova wrote:
Remo I have noticed more and more strange body sensations like your toothache in these latter years of individuation. When I acknowledged their presence as somehow being connected to some pending insight they would slowly disappear within a few minutes. Like this I began to learn that the WS “tingles” this or that part of my body in connection to some symbolic message trying to be communicated. I am wondering if that “tingling” becomes chronic if the message is not getting through, is blocked. Oh, as I type this in I am flashing back to the Marionette business – a connection to the thin thread by which the fate of the world hangs.

Very interesting! But what is the Marionette business?

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Founder

Post Re: fringe
fox wrote:

Yes, fox, this is exactly what is included in my psychophysical theory; except artificial intelligence and nanotechnology, perhaps. The author(s) must have a very good intuition.

Especially psychokinesis is explained with it. It cannot be explained with the synchronicity theory, since in it there is not energy exchange; in psychokinesis there is however an exchange. See for example the Pauli effect with the accelarator of Princton I wrote about above.

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:31 pm
Profile WWW

Post cyclop child
Remo Roth wrote:

I call it the "image with the alchemical eye" since it contains the four alchemical colors, black, white, yellow and red. And the "cross tree" is green (and brown). This is the benedicta viriditas, the blessed green, the healing substance of Hildegard von Bingen; also called the all-healing essence (medicina catholica) or the Alexipharmakum, the counter-poison. Further the red tincture or the quintessence.

The world soul had the same positition as the red embryo in the image above. Only today I see that it is perhaps the position she needs to give birth to her child.

Remo

Remo,

Maybe it is unrelated to your cross image showing a "baby" ( red embryo ) in a "alchemical" eye but it reminds me a dream of yesterday :

I am with my sister. She has 2 son. We speak of them. The smallest is in a pram. He has a big eye in the middle of the face. I look, I'm not scared, that image seems familiar.
Once awake, I knew I had seen something similar in a work of alchemy.
In the viridarium chymicum, we see a "cyclop man" on a throne, animals and the Mercury surrounding.I did not find the image on Internet

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Post throne
fox wrote:
Remo,

Maybe it is unrelated to your cross image showing a "baby" ( red embryo ) in a "alchemical" eye but it reminds me a dream of yesterday :

I am with my sister. She has 2 son. We speak of them. The smallest is in a pram. He has a big eye in the middle of the face. I look, I'm not scared, that image seems familiar.
Once awake, I knew I had seen something similar in a work of alchemy.
In the viridarium chymicum, we see a "cyclop man" on a throne, animals and the Mercury surrounding.I did not find the image on Internet

it reminds me of Jung's dream as a child.

He saw a phallus with an eye sitting on a throne

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:22 pm
Founder

Post Re: throne
fox wrote:
it reminds me of Jung's dream as a child.
He saw a phallus with an eye sitting on a throne

Yes, fox, this was also my association. I dealt intensely with this dream and concluded that it meant Hermetic alchemy. Jung, however, tended more and more to Neoplatonic alchemy and the Neoplatonic worldview, ie to "sublimate" evil matter to good spirit (= psychoanalysis). In fact, he was not able to distinguish these two completely different paths of the alchemical opus. He mixed them up and thus created an inconsistency in his theory: In AION the development of the Self is causal (Neoplatonic), in his synchronicity theory it is acausal (Hermetic). Wolfgang Pauli was the first to see this contradiction.

Thus, Jung did not really follow the phallus on the throne. He included the Holy Mary in his quaternity, "disinfected matter" (W. Pauli), and not the creative phallus of the world soul. This is a completely Neoplatonic concept since she is without any sin and did not live sexuality. She does not represent the archetype of matter. However, the phallus (of the Goddess) would like to create acausally a new worldview not based on Neoplatonic philosophy (as is the Christian religion).

Could it be that the resistance against Freud created his resistance against including sexuality in his theory? I tend to believe in this postulate.

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: clitoris/" man in the boat"
Bernie Quigley wrote:
In high school kids used to refer to the clitoris as "the man in the boat." It is in archetecture - especially church architecture in 13the century Europe - a figure in the gynecological portals: some are very dramaic - a figure flying out of the top.

Boats are gynecological psychological forms and in paintings the leader -"Self" - is often presented as clitoris in relationship to the vagina/boat.

Hi Bernie, We haven't had a synchronicity for awhile. Here is one that just happened. I was looking up images for the Gnosis book mentioned in my Ann-Suzanne Blog post to Pascal. I came across another image at the same time which was not a book but an DVD cover with the same title: Gnosis the Secret of Solomon's Temple.

Image Image

Very Interesting Music:

A glowing, watercolor wash of angelic choirs and ancient Greek chants, longtime Magnatune favorite Paul Avgerinos' new album is based on the Gnostic tradition and wisdom of ancient Greek mystery societies, and also features perfectly integrated sounds of tabla, oud, sarangi, and cello. Allmusic.com named Avgerinos "one of the giants of ambient music," and the stellar sound design on this new release makes apparent how he earned the title. Gnosis is luminous and relaxing. Standout tracks include the mellow "Journey To Now" and the subtly futuristic title track, "Gnosis." Full album art included with download purchase.

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/avgerinos-gnosis/

Suzanne

LINK to Blog discussion with Pascal about the Gnosis book:

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic ... 2209#12209

Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:04 pm
Profile Personal album

Post Marionette Business
Quote:
Remo wrote: Very interesting! But what is the Marionette business?

Quote:
Gregory wrote: I am flashing back to the Marionette business – a connection to the thin thread by which the fate of the world hangs.

I mean that while in the black head of Osiris mode when the bodily sensations appear we can detect evidence that we are puppets on a “string” – tingled/shaken/etc. by the WS. Jung’s comment about how the world hangs by a thin thread – the psyche of man - seemed to want to be connected to these phenomena.

Quote:
Marionnette - A jointed puppet manipulated from above by strings or wires attached to its limbs. [French marionnette, from Old French, musical instrument, diminutive of mariole, the Virgin Mary/Virgin Mary from diminutive of Marie, Mary (influenced by the name Marion), from Late Latin Maria, from Greek, from Hebrew Miryām.]

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Intro
Quote:
The program's theme music is Charles Gounod's Funeral March of a Marionette...

Gregory

Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Post Guignol
In Lyon, the symbol of the city is a marionnette :

Guignol, Gnaffron and Madelon :) :

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:39 pm
Founder

Post Sabina Spielrein, C.G. Jung and Hermetic 'turd creation'
As so often in our UM forum, some posts belong to different threads. This is why I copy a link to a post about the spiritual path of the 21st century into this thread:

Sabina Spielrein, C.G. Jung and Hermetic 'turd creation'

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:44 am
Profile WWW

Post Yes, Jung's psychology can be a spiritual path for some
Before I answer the posed question, let me say that 10 or more years ago I was very well versed in Jung's theories as I had read much of his work and the works of many of his followers. Until very recently I have not touched the material for more than 10 years, but nonetheless, I think my current understanding of the issues you raise reflects what I learned long ago. However, someone may conclude I have simply forgotten what I learned. I have returned to Jungian studies and am currently digesting The Red Book. I will probably post here again if I should learn that my understanding of these issues does not reflect what I now find in my studies of Jung.

The answer to your question is that Jung's psychology can be the primary spiritual tool of development for some people. I am certain that exploration of one's psyche is a Holy opus. Connecting to the Great Self within is a way of connecting to the Divine. However, Jungian psychology is not the only means to spiritual development. Jung did not deny the value of religious traditions which honor the value of ritual and symbolism (he did have a problem with branches of Christianity which he saw as all too sterile because they did not honor the value of ritual or symbols).

The results of your active imagination do NOT suggest that you are not drawing life and energy from the Great Self. You are not supposed to go after the experiences of Jung. His encounters with the Great Self almost overwhelmed his sanity. He nearly lost his mind and permanently so. Metaphorically, the Great Self is a 100 Billion watt source of psychic energy. It can totally overwhelm and fry the ego. When Jung connected to it, he allowed all too much of that power to flood his mind. He nearly went mad. When active imagination is done properly, some part of you controls the flow from the Self. You draw from it at a rate which does not threaten the independence of your ego. When you practice active imagination, your psyche is able to regulate the flow of power out of the Great Self so you are not lost in some great flood of psychic energy. If you can not control the flow out of the Great Self, you and possibly others around you are in grave danger. We are meant to draw life and energy from the Self but it is vital that we not identify with it or any part of it.

Most of us have the innate ability to regulate the flow from the Great Self. Most of us safely connect to it in our dreams. However, a few of us fly way too close to the Sun and are threatened with annihilation. Jung was such a person. Thank God you have the innate ability to manage the flow of life out of the Great Self.

joe

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Joe, but if there are no dramatic psychological encounters on lines of Jung, i.e. if Jung's followers do not regularly report that they have encounters with the anima/animus, the wise old man, and the Self, which are certain to destabilize the personality in a psychological way, then what remains of Jung's psychological form of spirituality? If dramatic encounters with complexes of type anima/animus regularly occur, along Jung's directives, then people's experiences remain within the confines of Jungian psychology.

But otherwise, if people have other experiences of active imagination (formerly known as discursive meditation) that do not lead to the awakening of powerful psychological complexes, then it must be denoted a spiritual path, perhaps on lines of ancient Gnosticism, Alchemy, Taoism, or a personal path (which, in a sense, is the Gnostic way). I do not deny that the complexes anima/animus et al. exist. But I question how relevant it is to have this radical encounter with them, except that you have to remain on friendly terms with your own unconscious to be successful on the spiritual path.

So my question refers to this problem. Can Jung's psychology satisfy the spiritual seeker? The answer is no if these powerful complexes cannot be called up in the majority of seekers. This could explain why the are such dissimilarities between Jungian psychology and the traditional spiritual disciplines. There is however one author whose writings bear a striking resemblance with Jung's version of the spiritual path. This is Swedenborg. Jung read all his works. Swedenborg talked to the spirits while spending time in his garden. So did Jung, who talked to his spirit guide Philemon while taking a stroll in his garden. Jung also talked to the anima in this way. Jung's form of spirituality, it seems, has a certain resemblance to Swedenborgian spiritualism. As a matter of interest, Swedenborg's garden house, where he had many of his visions, remains standing, but it has moved to Skansen, Stockholm.

Mats Winther

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:28 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the reply. It is interesting that you mention Swedenborg. I am one of the few people who have read some of his stuff.

Mats, how would you recognize the anima in a dream or in AI? Also, how would you recognize an image the anima sent you which does not directly depict the anima? I suspect we receive gifts from the deep which we don't always consciously recognize as such.

The anima appears to men, at least to heterosexual men, as a female figure. I am not sure how it appears to gay men, but I am sure it does. I think most men's dreams frequently involve the feminine. These dreams may often involve the anima offering compensation for the weaknesses in the consciousness.

Also the anima life energy may generate dreams and AI visions which don't directly depict the anima but which are sourced there nonetheless. You don't have to see the producer of a movie to receive great value from the producer's movie. I suspect most men encounter the anima or gifts from the anima frequently. It would be the same for women with regard to the animus, but it probably appears most often to them as a male figure.

You sure generate great discussions, Mats.

joe

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Post people without names, places, faces
It is interesting that there are two "Rings" stories which arise in our past century; Wagner's and Tolkien's, like a primordial telling of logos/eros of ancestral northern Europe. Both tales of the Unconscious and what is in it and what it means to us, the living. I find what is most telling to my benefit is Gollum in the Tolkien stories, identified as the "witch king." Identified as such because he followed "dark anima" and did not get to Self, but got lost in the woods instead. He is referred to in the movie by his archetype: "Gollum." It is indicated why this happened: He forgot his name in the pursuit of (spiritual) power. It is revealed that his name was Sméagol, but he degenerated into namelessness and was simply called Gollum. Possibly this has footing in the great Gollum story of Rabbi Loeb who "conjured" gollum in Prague in the 1600s and is commentary on the rising path of power (Protestant northern Europe and America) in our time; a turning outward, that is, instead of a turning inward - inward a path to Self (Aragorn, "the king"), outward the path to Gollum. In any case, he lost his name and became a wanderer: He lost his place as well and of course, he lost his face. This is why we need them (names, places, faces), so we don't descend into abstraction. "Grounded" is a good term; it suggests the ground; the earth - the place on the earth where we belong, where we feel a sense of dominion; a sense of belonging to our ancestors. This is why we need our names, our places and our faces.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:21 pm
Profile WWW

Joe, the anima often manifests as a dream animal. But the question is whether followers of Jung have the dramatic experiences of active imagination that Jung outlines, e.g., if they actually talk with the autonomous complexes of the psyche, who then retort intelligibly. Do they experience transformations of personality as a result of a row of such encounters with autonomous archetypal complexes, according to the order: shadow - anima - mana personality - self? Or do personal case histories reveal other experiences of active imagination than what Jung outlines? He relates no patient case histories, something which he should be able to do, according to scientific standards. Anyway, I just ordered the book The Knowledge that Leads to Wholeness: Gnostic Myths Behind Jung's Theory of Individuation by Robert Lloyd. It will be interesting to see whether he can enlighten me on this subject matter.

Mats

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:09 pm
Profile WWW

Post Gollum - Survivor
Bernie Quigley wrote:
It is interesting that there are two "Rings" stories which arise in our past century; Wagner's and Tolkien's, like a primordial telling of logos/eros of ancestral northern Europe. Both tales of the Unconscious and what is in it and what it means to us, the living. I find what is most telling to my benefit is Gollum in the Tolkien stories, identified as the "witch king." Identified as such because he followed "dark anima" and did not get to Self, but got lost in the woods instead. He is referred to in the movie by his archetype: "Gollum." It is indicated why this happened: He forgot his name in the pursuit of (spiritual) power. It is revealed that his name was Sméagol, but he degenerated into namelessness and was simply called Gollum. Possibly this has footing in the great Gollum story of Rabbi Loeb who "conjured" gollum in Prague in the 1600s and is commentary on the rising path of power (Protestant northern Europe and America) in our time; a turning outward, that is, instead of a turning inward - inward a path to Self (Aragorn, "the king"), outward the path to Gollum. In any case, he lost his name and became a wanderer: He lost his place as well and of course, he lost his face. This is why we need them (names, places, faces), so we don't descend into abstraction. "Grounded" is a good term; it suggests the ground; the earth - the place on the earth where we belong, where we feel a sense of dominion; a sense of belonging to our ancestors. This is why we need our names, our places and our faces.

I did not follow the last season in Koh Lanta (French name for "Survivor") But I read an article online about the show:
http://koh-lanta.programme-tv.net/koh-l ... evenu-fou/

" That famine in Koh-Lanta! The candidates are exhausted and Claude, his eyes wild, becomes obsessed with food. He becomes a primitive man, wild, devouring the freshly caught fish. "

"Back on the beach, Claude can not peddle his fish, nobody wants it! So, squatting, he shreds the raw animal with his teeth under the gaze of his stunned classmates. Bon appetite Gollum!

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:30 am

Post "returning to earth" myth
Fox - Thanks for that - I've never actually seen the Survivor show but it seems to be like "Lost" a "returnign to earth" myth. Much like Jung's phrase in the English text: UFOs; "A modern myth of things seen in the sky." Both Survivor and Lost seem about a group of alienated people coming to a stange and alien planet that they do not know their way around, but now the planet is earth and they have to learn to be with it again. In that time I was talking to a remarkable woman about her dreams and this is one of her dreams, near the last of an eight-month series:

I am outside the earth’s atmosphere, or in another realm.
I am sitting in a tree that is growing there.
It has leaves made of thin gold foil, and it looks
like a cherry tree. I don’t want to be there, the sun
shines all the time, there is never any night - it
feels surreal and I want to get home, or to earth,
I feel I should not be there. I try to climb down,
but every move I make takes me further up the tree,
not down. I decide that the only way to get down is
to jump - I think that this must be my destiny, and
if this is so, God will not let me die. Next to me
I find a piece of rope that is made of three ropes
twisted together. I pick it up and it is alive, and
purple and pulsating. I jump out of the tree, holding
this live, pulsating rope. I am falling into the
atmosphere and the wind is rushing past me, I am falling
like a skydiver without a parachute, freefalling. I look
up at the sky now and it is a beautiful combination of
pink, blue and purple, like a magnificent sunrise.
I also see that the rope that I am holding is attached
to the sky. I know eventually that it will pull me to
a stop if I keep hold of it. Every thing goes black
suddenly, but I am still aware, I am not dead, I rest
for a while. Then I see a light. It is as if I am
looking through a window into a light room from the
darkness. I see a dresser in the room, and I think
to myself 'this is my grandfathers dresser', I watch
the room for a while. Then suddenly my whole body
feels pressure, and there is pressure on the top
of my head. I am pushed past this pressure and
I suddenly see a baby being born, and I hear a
baby's cry and then I realise that the baby is me
and it is me that is crying and I am the baby -
I sense that I am a boy and my self awareness fades
and I become the baby and I am crying.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:14 pm
Profile WWW

Post Mats, communicating with the Anima
Mats,

I have no reason to believe I am in a position to teach you anything about active imagination. Your practice and understanding may be far more developed than mine. But nonetheless, it might be helpful to some reader of this thread for me and others to explain how we communicate with the anima.

First, I put myself in a quiet state as if I wished to meditate. But instead of meditating, I use active imagination to put myself in a very comfortable but sacred place and time. For me it is usually a secluded garden. Usually it is secluded by vine covered walls. Somehow such places have always felt sacred to me. I think a sacred setting is important to the communication.

Then I ask the Anima to visit me. Eventually, a woman appears. I ask her about herself, how she is, the usual introductory pleasantries when you visit someone. And from there the conversation develops along lines I wish to discuss or lines she wishes to discuss. Of course, my mind tends to wonder from time to time. But I find that the more I practice the communication, the deeper and more worthwhile the discussions become.

Of course, Richard Noll and others may wish to jeer at the idea that I am really speaking with an autonomous complex within which has something to teach me. I could never prove to anyone that I am speaking to the Anima as Jung describes. However, I can say the discussions are very healing to me and they are often surprising in their revelations about my life, my personal development, relationships and spirituality.

To me the simplest explanation is that some part of the Great Self is sharing life's libido with me because I am open to it. I think this is the Anima as Jung describes. By the way, her statements are sometimes clear linear thoughts as you would hear from another human being who wishes to explain something to you. But sometimes they merely offer images to ponder - like the language of dreams.

I hope this post will not find its way into the hands of anyone who suspects I need to be confined in a mental institution. :D

joe

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:05 pm
Founder

Post Re: Mats, communicating with the Anima
joejung wrote:
Then I ask the Anima to visit me. Eventually, a woman appears. I ask her about herself, how she is, the usual introductory pleasantries when you visit someone. And from there the conversation develops along lines I wish to discuss or lines she wishes to discuss. Of course, my mind tends to wonder from time to time. But I find that the more I practice the communication, the deeper and more worthwhile the discussions become.

Joe, nice to meet you here.

I was never able to talk to the 'Anima' (or whatever this is). I first tried it in the year 1975 and then got the dream that I posted in Dream that led me to BCI and Eros Self. This is how I slowly discovered the anima mundi that is not the same as Jung's Anima. In my book Return of the World Soul that will be published in September I show the difference: the Anima is the mediator to Jung's (Logos) Self, the anima mundi is the mediator between the spirit and matter. One can show that Jung's Anima is it not.

I then realized that specific people cannot do A.I.; they have to do Body-Centered Imagination. The former is a verbal confrontation with the Anima, the latter, however, is non-verbal, and one mostly behaves very passive. In my case in BCI what I call 'images out of the belly' and also subtle sensations are observed. I know today that they have a healing power, especially in the case of physical disease.

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:31 pm
Profile WWW

Post Remo, thanks for the reply
Remo, I am flattered you thought my post worthy of a reply. I had previously learned something of your work.

I followed your link, and I was very intrigued by the idea of the Self of Jung as Logos and that something lies beyond it as Eros. I always thought the Self was the place where all the opposites are integrated: Logos and Eros, male and feminine, dark and light, good and evil, etc..

I will be very interested to learn more about your view of the geography of the unconscious.

joe

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:25 pm
Founder

Post Re: Remo, thanks for the reply
Joe,

joejung wrote:
Remo, I am flattered you thought my post worthy of a reply. I had previously learned something of your work.

I followed your link, and I was very intrigued by the idea of the Self of Jung as Logos and that something lies beyond it as Eros. I always thought the Self was the place where all the opposites are integrated: Logos and Eros, male and feminine, dark and light, good and evil, etc..

I will be very interested to learn more about your view of the geography of the unconscious.

Thank you very much.

I think in the above quoted link you will find something to begin with. I am very happy that already C.G. Jung and Marie-Louise von Franz both anticipated that behind the Self there must be something else.

Remo

PS: Oh, I have just seen that you had read the link. Sorry.

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:34 pm
Profile WWW

So far, I make no conversations with the anima either. Different individuals focus on different things, but nobody seems to recapitulate the series of archetypal integration that Jung speaks about. Robert Moore, whom Joe mentioned, is a case in point. He speaks of four structural forms in the human psyche, corresponding to four energies: king, warrior, lover, and magician.

I suppose that in order to recapitulate Jung's specific archetypal series, it's necessary to imagine oneself in that setting, together with these specific archetypal figures, and go through the stages consciously, as if it was a Gnostic initiation ritual. But one cannot expect the psyche to produce such fantasies spontaneously. However, this is what Jung claims will happen, as he says that the psyche is structured this way.

Mats

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2