UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 pm

[ 17 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 Pauli's world-clock vision, and his dream about Bohr 

Post Pauli's world-clock vision, and his dream about Bohr
I discuss Pauli's world-clock vision, and his dream about Bohr, here:
http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-73784/compself.htm#pauli

Concerning the central importance of the material and the bodily, I make a connection with the ternary principle, which is what Jung rejected as inferior "incomplete wholeness". I argue that there is a complementing self ideal missing in Jung's equation of wholeness. I identify this with the trinitarian spiritual principle of emancipation from the worldly. But the ideal of transcendency somehow relates to the bodily and the material principle, as spirit and matter become one in the unus mundus, provided that the unus mundus is interpreted along such lines.

I am beginning to suspect that Remo's notions could be very relevant in this context, but I need a better grasp of them. Jung's "Neoplatonic temperament," understood as his involvement in the soul's images, I denote as the "this-worldly spirit", etc. Emancipation according to the ternary principle actually means that one moves on to the realm of the spiritual, that somehow includes the material/bodily. Should you find this all relevant to the unus mundus concept, please let me know.

Mats Winther

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:55 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Pauli's world-clock vision, and his dream about Bohr
"But the regulation of their functions by three rhytms is something that I cannot substantiate..."

One thing that I never saw Jung talking about is the concept of the three gunas, that nature can manifest in a slow, crawling, dim way (tamas), in an energetic passionate way (rajas) and in an constant sustained way (sattva).

The gunas can only arise through action and flux, since the concept of quality of action cannot exist in an absolute realm (I think).

impagliazzo.500px.com

Thu May 24, 2012 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Founder

Mats,

In Return of the World Soul, Part II (being published in the next days) I write:

"In a footnote in the same letter [1145] to Meier of August 1st, 1950, Pauli states that the three rhythms of his World-clock vision are not continuously related, but discontinuously. #3 would so become a symbol of discontinuity and thus of acausality. A day later in letter [1146] he writes to Aniela Jaffé a similar hypothesis : In the symbolism of the mandala of the World-clock the three represents discontinuity; the four continuity. We will just see that the interpretation of #3 and #2 (respectively #4) in this way connects the World-clock vision to the above dream."

I use Pauli's remark in my interpretation of the World-clock. I show that the three rythmes symbolize the entrance into the unus mundus, in which spontaneous, i.e. acausal "inner quantum leaps" happen. In this way we have the following series: causal world > entrance into the unus mundus and acausal quantum leap in/out of it > new causal world (of higher significance). Such "inner quantum leaps are observable in the method I call Body-Centered Imagination. They correspond to the transition from the causal world into the acausal (quantum leap in the unus mundus) and back into the causal world of higher significance. On the one hand this is the result of an understood synchronicity, on the other the result of Body-Centered Imagination (and its healing = negentropic effect).

More in Return I

Remo

The more loved by the wise.'
(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm
Profile WWW

I propose that the three-rhythm denotes transcendence, but acausality is transcendental in so far as it transcends the causal sphere of the temporal world. The unus mundus also denotes a transcendental sphere. Acausality and synchronicity are "otherworldly", i.e. it somehow point at the spiritual presence in the world.

Within Indian lore the shape of the six-pointed star "is generally understood to consist of two triangles—one pointed up and the other down—locked in harmonious embrace. The two components are called "Om" and the "Hrim" in Sanskrit, and symbolize man's position between earth and sky. The downward triangle symbolizes Shakti, the sacred embodiment of femininity, and the upward triangle symbolizes Shiva, or Agni Tattva, representing the focused aspects of masculinity. The mystical union of the two triangles represents Creation, occurring through the divine union of male and female."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagram

Mats Winther

Fri May 25, 2012 6:31 am
Profile WWW

Remo Roth wrote:
Mats,

In Return of the World Soul, Part II (being published in the next days)
Remo

June 15 according Amazon.fr :)

Sat May 26, 2012 12:53 pm
Founder

At least it looks good to see both together:

Image Image

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Thu May 31, 2012 7:16 pm
Profile WWW

I have ordered from the Book Depository, who have a publcation date of of 15th June. The last book I pre-ordered was released about a week early, so here's hoping. Looking forward to reading it, Remo.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Yes, just great Remo. Felicitations! Interesting that it comes just as Venus crosses the Sun (so the Sun looks like a giant fertilized egg yoke!).

:D Kristin

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:01 am

From the above comments that correlate Body-Centered Imagination with Vedic concepts, I get a sense of the universal principles addressed in Remo’s two volumes, Return of the World Soul. I recently read the second volume, A Psychophysical Theory, and this thread seems a meaningful place to post my pragmatic observations about this theory. In particular, I’m interested in how BCI effectively counters the pessimistic alienation of our materialist age. “To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts. Every man is tasked to make his life, even in its details, worthy of the contemplation of his most elevated and critical hour.” This famous quote from Henry David Thoreau, the 19th century American author, describes a practical, salubrious consequence of BCI. The Eros ego provides sanctuary from the Aeschylean furies of modern history (weapons of mass destruction, global warming, and the cruel economic disparities of our mercantile society). Mats’s point about finding emancipation in the ternary (Jung’s inferior function) by ‘spiritualizing’ (making conscious) the ‘material/bodily’ is well taken: this is the Eros ego that Remo describes in chapter 6.1.4 “Observational methods of Logos and Eros.” I find that simply observing inner body states (introverted sensation) when feeling dysfunctional from anxiety or depression very much works “to affect the quality of the day.” The process at work here seems to be the increase in negentropy (order) that Remo illustrates with Solomon’s Seal in chapter 6.16.6. Applying this to the Indian lore that Mats points out, the six-pointed star represents the union of Shiva (physical energy – objective psychic energy) and Shakti (matter-psyche – magic). The dynamic process of Shiva, the focused aspect of masculinity (mind), harmoniously embracing Shakti, the embodiment of femininity (body), expresses the twin process Remo writes about. This is the action of the Eros ego, which is the opposite of the clinical gaze that perceives the body as an object. The Eros ego witnesses the body as a subject (the enteric brain) with something to say (images) about the oppressed energies of our tech age. Through the repeated application of this process, negentropy increases in our bodies as well as in the phenomenal world around us. Synchronicities and paranormal events proliferate as we consciously realize the deep background of visions and dreams. In my experience, it is this amplified awareness of order that heals the alienated ego. We consciously participate in the mystic union of divine powers by moving from extraverted thinking to introverted sensation and simply observing inner body states. I’ve found this process, which is carefully elucidated in part two of Remo’s psychophysical theory, enormously helpful in affecting the quality of my day. The practical benefit of increased negentropy in my daily life has resulted in less dysfunction and more creative output. The tragic density of the contemporary soul, which manifests in our culture as cynicism (at its best) and despair (at its worst), is a burden for us all. Psychophysical theory offers an effective therapy for the soul-sickness of our misanthropic age.

Tue May 28, 2013 10:49 pm
Founder

Thank you, Al. It seems that BCI gives you a lot. I have also seen in my personal experience that my creativity is very much affected in a positive, constructive way by it. But also for the cure of psychosomatic and somatic disease it is helpful.

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Thu May 30, 2013 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Not relating to the Eros Self appears to me as an un-natural stance. There has always been a way to do it. But it seems that our incredibly outwardly aggressive culture has put humankind into a cramp, a neurotic blockage for the least.
Not only relating to the the other aspect of reality through BCI or shamanic journeying brings a true feeling of bliss, but it opens the way from the specific 'spot' of the coniunctio (unus mundus) to a flow of acausal radiance, energy of a different quality that boosts creativity. This is not your creativity, it is creativity through you.
The clearly neg-entropic effects can be felt in healing, healing of the body-soul, and healing of the world.

Here's a link to a true story as an example: http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=15245#p15245

The fate of fire depends on wood; as long as there is wood below, the fire burns above. It is the same in human life; there is in man likewise a fate that lends power to his life. And if he succeeds in assigning the right place to life and to fate, thus bringing the two into harmony, he puts his fate on a firm footing.

I Ching #50

Fri May 31, 2013 5:22 pm
Profile Personal album

I appreciate what you’re saying, Roger: Through the mindfulness of our Eros awareness, we serve as channels for negentropy (creativity). We cannot will the direction or outcome of this creativity. Our agency in this process is as witnesses, yes? Into the intermediate world of psychophysical reality, into this realm perceived by Eros awareness, spirit descends and matter ascends. We activate this process by choosing to adopt an attentive attitude toward our enteric brain (the ‘gut brain in our belly’). This is our participation in the incarnation. Our spirit (mind) descends into the intermediate realm (the unus mundus) – and matter ascends. The coniunctio that the ego then observes is the paranormal event. Since I began practicing this methodology, the phenomenal world has become like a perfectly transparent window through which wonders are visible. Previously, the tragic dimension of human experience seemed a scrim or silkscreen patterned with modern life’s inherent tensions of alienation, insecurity, ravenously aggressive desiderata, and uncoalesced ambition. Irony and affectless cool seemed the only way to let everything be itself. With Eros awareness, paranormal events intrude unpredictably upon our remorselessly banal, culturally fixed world of commercial extravaganzas. Now that I am participating with my enteric brain, I have begun observing events with mediumistic force, and life has become unpredictable, various, and full of psychic energy. As you say, our materialistically aggressive culture has put humankind into a cramp. Eros awareness relaxes that spasm.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:22 am
Site Admin

Yes Al.
And maybe there is another step. Sometimes from the observer i just become what is observed.
I am.
For instance say that out of your belly a butterfly suddenly flew around. You would observe it, follow its acausal-like flight, maybe marvel at its changing colours. But then suddenly you would be the butterfly... for a while...
Bliss.

I guess this is 'unus mundus'.

Roger

The fate of fire depends on wood; as long as there is wood below, the fire burns above. It is the same in human life; there is in man likewise a fate that lends power to his life. And if he succeeds in assigning the right place to life and to fate, thus bringing the two into harmony, he puts his fate on a firm footing.

I Ching #50

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:30 pm
Profile Personal album

I sense that transforming into the body-centered image must be a crucial aspect of the coniunctio, Roger. This is the metaphoric experience so famous in literature – and in mysticism. As we know, metaphor expresses the union of unlike things. A butterfly and a person, in your example, are very unlike! (This reminds me of Chuang Tzu’s remarkable dream of being a butterfly – and not knowing if he or the butterfly is dreaming.) BCI lets go of will, thus releasing the Logos that differentiates subject and object. So, yes, I can see your point, that through Eros awareness the ego identifies with the image generated by the enteric brain. That is the descent of spirit (mind) into the unus mundus, to which matter ascends. The coniunctio is, then, the metaphoric union of spirit and matter. This metaphoric experience happens unconsciously in dreams, where we identify with the dream experience without even realizing we are in fact dreaming. (Chuang Tzu’s butterfly dream exemplifies this unconscious metaphor.) With BCI, consciousness enters into the metaphor. Is consciousness itself the metaphoric union of inner and outer?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:59 am
Site Admin

Funnily enough, after posting my reply to you, I bumped into an unusual number of butterfly related events, pictures, texts, and even a BCI were a butterfly transformed into a silvery phoenix, made of what I would call 'subtle body stuff'.

I would like to quote Dorneus (after Paracelsus) :
Quote:
"in the beginning God created one world. He divided this into two parts, Heaven and Earth. But in these two parts is hidden a third part which has the quality of a mediator, it is the original whole which exists also in both the other parts. These cannot exist without the other two. The third part is the original totality of the world but the division into two parts was necessary in order to transfer the "one" world from a condition of potentiality into the state of reality.”

[...] unio corporalis leads to the final stage of cosmic unity that reproduced in man the primordial condition of unus mundus - the “third term" linking the uncreated and created. Jung says that for Dorneus, therefore, the “third and highest degree of conjunction was the union of the whole man with the unus mundus... [this] meant the possibility of effecting a union with the world - not with the world of multiplicity as we see it but with a potential world, the eternal ground of all empirical being, just as the self is the ground and origin of the individual personality past, present, and future.
In alchemy, and in early medieval theology, the concept of unus mundus is not the actual material cosmos but the “model" or “great form" of creation eternally existing in the mind of God as His Wisdom (Sapientia Dei, a feminine principle) or logos [spermatikos, RF] [...]
The unus mundus or the mundus archetypus of the Scholastics was the 'potential world of the first day of creation when nothing was yet ‘in actu,‘ ie , divided into two and many, but was still one”. This idea above all stresses the identity of the 'inner' and 'outer' aspect of the art or, more generally, affirms the mystery of the necessary relation between spirit and body, God and world, unity and multiplicity. With this formula also, as Jung points out, the Paracelsian alchemists went beyond the traditional medieval creation doctrine of creatio ex nihilo.
source: N. J. Girardot's Myth and Meaning in Early Taoism: The Themes of Chaos (hun-tun).

This is of course puts man's consciousness at the centre of the actualisation process of the potential world, a type of consciousness such as the one required to practice BCI (or again shamanic dreaming or journeying) that cannot 'belong' to one world only.
But man's consciousness becomes something quite different from the everyday logos ego.
In my dream of the spiders (link) the small spider melts with the big one. Remo interpreted it as the melting of the Eros ego with the Eros self, something that would correspond in my opinion to what Dorneus describes as ‘unus mundus’ that is to say when suddenly you become the observed image or sensation. The boundary between inner and outer dissolves as the third is given body and consciousness.

I Ching #50

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:19 pm
Profile Personal album

Thanks, Roger, for these elucidating quotes and comments – and your remarkable dream from 2004. You open large windows in the hallways of attention! And the sunlight that streams in illuminates the hazy calm of the usual so that we see worlds adrift all around us. By putting aside our willful, Logos ego, we stand on new ground with the Eros ego – and when we “become the observed image or sensation,” as you describe so eloquently, we nourish the root of yes. Thank you for taking the time to help me clarify these bold ideas that replace quantity with quality and let the soul’s desire measure us.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:12 am
Site Admin

Thank you Al! :wink:

I Ching #50

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:44 pm
Profile Personal album
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]