UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:27 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 Austin Spare's Synchronicity 

Post Austin Spare's Synchronicity
I thought it might be worth while bringing Austin Spare to the attention of this forum, as I haven't yet seen his name mentioned in any post - correct me or delete this post if there is already a summary and discussion of him and his work. The overview will be copy and pasted as I'm just trying to give a general overview of him for a discussion.

Overview

Austin Osman Spare (30 December 1886 – 15 May 1956) was an English artist who developed idiosyncratic magical techniques including automatic writing, automatic drawing and sigilization based on his theories of the relationship between the conscious and unconscious self. His artistic work is characterized by skilled draughtsmanship exhibiting a mastery of the use of the line, and often employs monstrous or fantastic magical and sexual imagery.

It has been argued that Spare's magic depended (at least in part) upon psychological repression. According to one author, Spare's magical rationale was as follows, "If the psyche represses certain impulses, desires, fears, and so on, and these then have the power to become so effective that they can mold or even determine entirely the entire conscious personality of a person right down to the most subtle detail, this means nothing more than the fact that through repression ("forgetting") many impulses, desires, etc. have the ability to create a reality to which they are denied access as long as they are either kept alive in the conscious mind or recalled into it. Under certain conditions, that which is repressed can become even more powerful than that which is held in the conscious mind."
Spare believed that intentionally repressed material would become enormously effective in the same way that "unwanted" (since not consciously provoked) repressions and complexes have tremendous power over the person and his or her shaping of reality. It was a logical conclusion to view the subconscious mind as the source of all magical power, which Spare soon did. In his opinion, a magical desire cannot become truly effective until it has become an organic part of the subconscious mind.

Even given the nature of his work, it doesn't surprise me not to have seen Spare's name mentioned on what seems to be one of the deepest magical forums around, because his name has been adopted by forums dealing with witchcraft, satanism and paganism - hiding in the shadow as it were. This is largely owing to the style which Spare himself wrote in, of which he was undoubtedly conscious of what the manifest effects of his intention would be.

I'd like to go into more detail, much more detail, of Spare's writing, practices and my experience of practising what he somewhat popularised - the sigil, but I'd like to see if this is actually in the interest of this forum, so if you could just kindly say yay or nay, then I'll continue or forget about it. It is in my own interest to write and discuss too, so the time involved isn't a factor..

I don't actually agree with the explanation of his work offered in the overview, or of most of the interpretation of his work, but there is a practical aspect of his work, which though heavily sullied through misunderstanding - as I'm sure you can tell by the overview, is extremely relevant to synchronicity (I don't particularly like that word either).

Thomas

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:38 pm

Post Welcome
Thomas,

My hearty welcome to you - to the unus mundus forum where no theory is “crazy enough” and where no grief is ever sullied.

I had not hear about Mr. Spare before but it seems he definitely was on the path of individuation - as a right brain type. I liked the following because his age reflects a sexual position Remo likes to mention – and like this the coniunctio of the King with the Queen – the latter also known as (aka) the World Soul or in Christianity as the Holy Spirit. "Death, the final coniunctio frontier" - celebrated in the Beyond.

Quote:
Austin Spare; He died in London on 15 May 1956, at the age of 69.

Of course this rabbit hole goes very deep so one admires its early explorers – those poor souls burdened to the task of individuation.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to introduce yourself – under viewtopic.php?p=1176#p1176 – like this we regulars know something of your personal equation.

Gregory

P.S. Did Spare get into politics?

Last edited by Gregory Sova on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Post Re: Austin Spare's Synchronicity
Thanks for expressing an interest Gregory,

From my knowledge on Spare he wasn't interested in politics. There is only one event I can think of (according to very questionable internet research), which is where Hitler requested Spare to paint his portrait to which Spare refused and said "If you are superman, let me forever be an animal"...

I would imagine Spare's 'Self-Love' expresses the product of the sexuality after the coniunctio. Looking at his life, the introversion and solitude of his life choices would indicate (to my very limited but empathetic knowledge) that he underwent this process.

"Self-love only is the eternal all pleasing, by meditation on this effulgent self which is
mystic joyousness. At that time of bliss, he is punctual to his
imagination, in that day what happiness is his! A lusty innocent,
beyond sin, without hurt! Balanced by an emotion, a refraction of his
ecstasy is all that he is conscious of as external. His vacuity
causes double refraction, "He," the self-effulgent lightens in the
Ego. Beyond law and the guest at the "Feast of the
Supersensualists." He has power over life and death. Save by
this, he is not beyond self-reproach, verily he has loosed all the
trouble of the world, the murder from the lightning. Self-love
preventing the mind from concentration, is identity without form, is
no thought as such; law and external influences contained, do not
affect. When that giving up all belief, reflects only its meaning,
then is there purity of vision, innocence of touch, ergo, self-love.
Verily, verily men are born, suffer and die through their belief.
Ejaculation is death. Self-love is preservation and life." - Austin Spare, 'The book of pleasure'. pg 24-25

I'll continue in the next post to reiterate my intentions of bringing Spare to the attention of this site. There is a wealth of material that I feel should be reinterpreted by people with a different intention (which I'll mention) after Spare hid it in the depths of the shadows away from a certain awareness.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 pm

Austin Osman Spare has previously been discussed here:

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=944

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:17 pm
Site Admin

Thomas11 wrote:

I'll continue in the next post to reiterate my intentions of bringing Spare to the attention of this site. There is a wealth of material that I feel should be reinterpreted by people with a different intention (which I'll mention) after Spare hid it in the depths of the shadows away from a certain awareness.

Welcome again.

Yes please do.

Roger

The fate of fire depends on wood; as long as there is wood below, the fire burns above. It is the same in human life; there is in man likewise a fate that lends power to his life. And if he succeeds in assigning the right place to life and to fate, thus bringing the two into harmony, he puts his fate on a firm footing.

I Ching #50

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:35 pm
Profile Personal album

Thanks for noting that Patrick, I've had a look at what's already been mentioned about Spare.

Spare's work 'Automatic Drawing' is very interesting from a creative aspect. I remember being an epic doodler at school only to be scolded for it, that and my handwriting, which was made to conform to an exterior norm. I find Kids regularly feel the need to attain a state of vacuity akin to the death posture also, I remember attaining that state regularly 5-10 times a day as a kid.

As mentioned in the link Patrick provided - sigils begin as an intention (the greatest tool of magick if you ask me). Spare's method involved writing a statement of intent eg. 'It is my desire to attain the strength of a tiger'. This is written down and for the sake of the practice the repeating letters and vowels if you like are deleted, so the above statement becomes 'TSMYDRNHG' - this is then made into an image so it bypasses conscious understanding - so outstanding belief doesn't hinder the process. The next step is 'planting the sigil', whereby one attains a state of vacuity by exhaustion, death posture or other methods whilst focusing on the sigil. After this people usually like to destroy the sigil and forget their desire.

The practice of this varies massively, I don't think I've ever used the above method on its own. Other methods involve a sort of talismanic charging, or a conversion of the intention into pictorial form or to a mantric formulae. Some don't destroy the sigil, some don't even attain a state of vacuity and still claim the process is efficient. Some believe they are sending an intention out into the universe for it to be fulfilled by the 'law of attraction', some believe they are unconsciously controlling their decision, and there are dozens of other beliefs.

In my own experience it seems what is actually happening is the awareness is falling into what Remo seems to call Eros Consciousness. As with a Shamanic journey, the intention of the operation serves as the means of the efficacy of the journey. I now doubt the sigil has any relevance to what Spare was labelling as a process of planting an intention into the unconscious for it to be fulfilled.

I have noticed synchronicity occurring moments, hours, or weeks after the sigil, but the moment of realisation of the initial intention always has the feel of a synchronicity. This seems to be another possible practical aspect of viewing our psychophysical capabilities.

Anyway, after finding this site I just felt a sort of duty to start a discussion on this subject. As you could imagine, a process which claims to bring any desire to manifestation was inevitably hijacked by obese magicians, of whom Spare spoke of as lacking the natural charm to bring about change themselves.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:49 pm

Glad the material was of interest, Thomas. There is information about him in a book called 'The Zelator' by David Ovason, who knew him.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Some examples of Spare's sigil synchronicities:

When he was seventeen Spare stayed at the home of the Rev. Robert Hugh Benson, author of The Necromancers and other occult novels. They went out for a walk one summer day; a serene and cloudless blue sky shone overhead. It had been fine all day, and Benson was curious to know whether Spare could, in such unlikely circumstances, produce rain by magical means. Spare said he could, proceeded to trace a sigil on the back of a used envelope, and, pausing in his tracks, concentrated all his attention upon it. Within ten minutes small clouds began to appear; they massed at a point immediately above their heads and discharged violently. Both Benson and Spare were drenched to the skin.

A year or two later, Benson introduced Spare to the Hon. Everard Feilding, Secretary of the Society of Psychic Research. At the time Feilding was associated with Frederick Bligh Bond, the President of the Archaeological Society who, by psychic means, had discovered the buried Edgar Chapel at Glastonbury Abbey. Like Benson, Feilding wanted proof of Spare's magical powers and, when the latter offered to oblige, proposed the following test: Spare was to materialize an object which Feilding mentally visualized without giving any clue as to its nature.

Spare drew one of his magical sigils, which, instead of being symbolic of the unknown desired object, was the ideograph of a familiar spirit whose services he frequently employed when any mind-reading was required.

After some time, Spare received a vivid impression of the object in Feilding's mind. He then drew a second sigil, told Feilding he need no longer concentrate, and proceeded to do so himself. These proceedings were interrupted by a knock on the door. Feilding tiptoed to the door, opened it, and was amazed to find his valet proffering a pair of slippers. Feilding turned to Spare and asked him how he had done it!

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]