UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:23 pm

[ 4 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 Magnetism in the womb - the key on the string 

Post Magnetism in the womb - the key on the string
Watching an old episode of “Mad Men” yesterday – a show about life in NY in the ‘50s – there was a pregnant woman about seven months and at a party, one of the other women held a key dangling on a string in front of her stomach to see if it would swing. It was supposed to indicate what sex the baby would be. It is an old wives tale. The hippies had this as well and when my wife was pregnant down in North Carolina the country women did the same thing. They also said my last baby would come with the moon, which it did. I tried the string thing on one of my kids and another and found it worked. If the baby in the womb was a girl the pendulum would swing to the left. If it was a boy it would swing to the right. All the country women did this and it was said to be accurate about 90% of the time - which would account for mixed sexuality. I also felt that the swing of the pendulum indicated strength of life force of the baby. With one baby it would swing wildly. With another on a difficult pregnancy it didn’t swing very strongly.

At the time I was writing a long article on the physics department at the college I worked at. I ate lunch with them and hung around with the whole department for a few weeks. When I mentioned this to them there was total denial. You must have been moving the string, they said. You should use a tripod and the string won’t move. But I wasn’t moving the string.

I tried it on the babies and on the mother after the birth and nothing happened. But I felt this was related to earth’s magnetism (or something) and found the book “Stalking the Wild Pendulum” by a Russian scientist in Philadelphia. I’ve read that Hindu gurus studied at MIT had a similar effect in meditation. They would in effect, in deep meditation form magnets or electrical polarization (or something). But one (well known and distinguished) Indian theoretical physicist I talked to who had taught at Harvard accepted the idea. The problem in the west he said was that the physicists believed in math instead of God. In India, he said, “we start from God and move to math. You start with math.”

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:20 pm
Profile WWW

I have experimented a little with dowsing, I have to say with limited success. But some years ago, I worked with a woman whose family had kept chickens, and she told me that they used a similar technique to judge whether eggs were male or female - presumably they didn't want extra cockerels. She claimed that it was reliable.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Post dousers
Here in northern New Hampshire the flinty old Yankees still use dowsers to find water. The state even uses them. But they have to be volunteers. They say it doesn't work if they do it for money.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile WWW

Post Dowsing
I only used a pendulum for dowsing. There was a archaeologist called T.C. Lethbridge who did a huge amount of work, and found rates for the length that a pendulum would respond to various materials and thoughts. He found that they repeated like octaves, starting again at 40 and then 80 inches.

http://www.tc-lethbridge.com/home/

There is a nice summary of his ideas available here:-
http://delicious.com/williamshepherd/?page=2
http://www.cesc.net/adobeweb/scholars/l ... eworld.pdf

A great original, his ideas have been championed by Colin Wilson. Whatever my own results, I am persuaded that the ideas of Lethbridge and others in this field have some value.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]