UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:34 am

[ 8 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 The Weather Report 

Post The Weather Report
On my left is John (a long-ago acquaintance, psychopathic personality). On his left is Maggie, (an older woman, very respectable) Walking towards us is Adam (young, humorous, exuberant type) and Stephen (an old friend, edged into psychosis). Adam is left of Stephen as we walk towards them.

Now John is gone and Maggie is on my left, but seems smaller in stature and younger. I put my arm around her, bring her closed to my side.

This happens at New York harbour which I sense has just weathered a storm. (And my subsequent research tells me it has just done so with Hurricane Sandy.)

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Post Weathering The Looming Psychic Storm
Rob wrote:
On my left is John (a long-ago acquaintance, psychopathic personality). On his left is Maggie, (an older woman, very respectable) Walking towards us is Adam (young, humorous, exuberant type) and Stephen (an old friend, edged into psychosis). Adam is left of Stephen as we walk towards them.

Now John is gone and Maggie is on my left, but seems smaller in stature and younger. I put my arm around her, bring her closed to my side.

This happens at New York harbour which I sense has just weathered a storm. (And my subsequent research tells me it has just done so with Hurricane Sandy.)

Interesting set of psychological characters in your dream which I have tried to summarize using the following image. I see that a “psychopathic personality” can have high verbal intelligence, but they typically lack "emotional intelligence" – a suggestion that an intimate relationship with the World Soul is lacking. When “the intellectual interference” from John vanishes (dim the Logos) you now have a direct connection with the feminine principle and thus to the possibility of consciously realizing the union of the opposites as imaged in the HermAphrodite. The resulting quaternity suggests a psychological configuration required for entering the second phase of the coniunctio – the unio corporalis stage. Since Stephen is connected with psychosis it seems that he represents entering the Eros ego altered state of consciousness. The exuberant Adam suggests extroversion but this aspect would need to become introverted in this quaternity. Are you extroverted in your psychology?
Attachment:
Rob Dream Configuration.jpg
Rob Dream Configuration.jpg [ 29.91 KiB | Viewed 1708 times ]

A hurricane “unites heaven and earth” – an alchemical reference to the second phase of the coniunctio which involves the union of air & water or Fire with Water for the conscious realization of the unio corporalis stage in the opus – something Edinger has characterized as being a “troubling mixture that is bound to produce a fair amount of anxiety”. The hurricane image came up recently in a post to Fox in The Hermaphrodite Chakra Tree – something that suggested that “Hurricane” level 6/9 Intimacy Looms as humanity approaches the brink of “Dancing With The Wind” – something that was about to happen on the outer level as well in NYC.
Such an encounter requires hurricane gear (read: being in the Eros ego).

Attachment:
Hurricane Gear.jpg
Hurricane Gear.jpg [ 32.09 KiB | Viewed 1708 times ]

A deep encounter with the Beyond is hoped for and yet if one does not yield to this Eros ego altered state "consciously" it could trigger a full-blown psychosis for then one is in danger of becoming possessed by the “Archetype of the Apocalypse”. This reminds me of a comment that Jung made about the dangerous situation at our moment in history – that the unconscious was in a stronger position in relation to the conscious. Dangerous because humanity could be pushed into a mass psychosis by the looming transpersonal FIRESTORM that is about to be unleashed.

Gregory

P.S. BTW hurricane Sandy messed up the sewerage treatment plant in lower Manhattan which services 3 million people. Like this untreated sewearage is being poured into New York Harbor – right next to the Statue of Liberty no less. The stench of that cesspool is not mentioned in the nightly news - I guess they don't want to discourage visitors to NYC and further impact their economy. This reminds me of the role of shit and piss in a dream – it can act as a fertilizer and help one grow.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Post Re: The Weather Report
Thank you Gregory, I would not have got to any of this. As you probably know my Jungian knowledge is only basic, often I can only vaguely connect. But I have the texts on my bookshelves, and I will look into the unio corporalis.

To answer your question: Introversion comes easily to me and I have in fact intuitively introverted over the lat six weeks. I alway suspect my introversion is compensatory in some way.

If it adds, recently I had a dream in which I was wearing blue jeans and yellow shirt. I met a girl in the dream also wearing blue jeans and yellow blouse.

Perhaps I can ask: What does “Consciously yielding to Eros ego” mean practically?

As you know, I have a lot of domestic concerns going on at the moment. I have been aggressively fighting my corner against five others. My vague musings make me ask if the archetype of the apocalypse autonomously orchestrated the whole series of events, in which case I could be more forgiving perhaps? Would this be “consciously yielding to Eros ego”?

Rob

P.S. Yes, there was some shit in that dream. I omitted mention of it out of modesty.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Post Yielding To The Eros Ego
Rob wrote:
What does “Consciously yielding to the Eros ego” mean practically?

For me it is a daily process - involving spending time looking within by bending my waking ego to the task of observing the inner movie screen and record whatever may occur in terms of images, sensations, impressions, etc. During this time of “meditation” I remain as passive as possible and in a comfortable position such as reclined in a recliner. I like the recliner because it creates just enough “discomfort” to help keeping me from easily falling asleep – which I would tend to do automatically if laying down. I avoid dialoging with inner figures which would be a Logos activity and something that would constellate the Logos Self which is particle-like in its nature. I hope like this to make room for the manifestations of the Eros Self which is wave-like in nature. Wave meets wave so to speak (perhaps your male/female yellow shirt/blue jean image applies here) to the extent that the analytical activity of the Logos Self can be dimmed. I sense arriving at the Eros ego threshold when I notice the sensation of being at the edge of sleep and wakefulness. Sometimes I fall asleep and then I may have a dream which is also a product of being in the Eros ego as the Logos Self is not active during a dream – so it is a win-win situation if you go over the edge into sleep. The inner movie plays when one is able to “consciously” hang at the edge of sleep-no sleep. Like this one can record what takes place as one is not immobilized by the sleep state.

“Consciously yielding to Eros ego” is therefore a desire to remain “will-less”. Being too willful is against the Eros ego. It’s the Wu wei attitude. Over time one learns a certain right attitude with which to approach the Eros Self.

Your personal outer situation is too complicated for me to follow – too personal - such that an unending string of good associations would need to be known in order to tease out the possible root cause of what aspect of the “divine conflict” is being projected out into your outer life. I would not rule out your broader hypothesis, however – that it is somehow connected to the highly constellated activity of the Archeytpe of the Apocalypse. Like this one should wait. Wait until these players may show up in the inner world and then one may over time slowly catch a glimpse of what a good association to their role may be and how that produced the outer disturbance. No need to try to “figure it all out in advance” – it will come to you “organically” so to speak – piece by piece as if a large collection of tea leaves that can eventually be “read”. It takes patience and perhaps a long time.

Gregory

P.S. Here is a Scientific American link to the pollution caused by hurricane Sandy – it really stirred up a toxic “witches brew” of pollutants…
Attachment:
PossibleHudsonRiverPlume.jpg
PossibleHudsonRiverPlume.jpg [ 90.87 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]

Satellites Track Hurricane Sandy Water Pollution

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I think Gregory's post will do a lot of good for readers here. I'm glad that Rob asked the question. As far as patience is concerned, I've learned that it is at first an action. I can attest that dimming the analytical is valuable (a concept that I did not have much awareness of prior). I've been at this forum now for a few years and this fall I 'felt' an answer to my first post on this board! Maybe understanding has a figurative 9 month gestation period. That is to say that it may go through the same processes that developing life has.

my .3 :)

pascal

edit: concept exposure / transformation of impressions?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks Pascal, Gregory.

I like the wu wei/ tao ideas, although not so easy for me to put in to practise.

Nevertheless, I did a little meditation before sleep yesterday, and went to sleep with instruction to myself of “feel, don’t think.” Dream followed:

I see an ex-girlfriend, seated. I feel all the bad feeling I had at time of break up. I seem to understand that she has since married.

And now she is gone and I see the guy she has married in the same seat as she was sitting. He is wearing a silver ring. I recognise him from my long-ago primary school days. (In real life these two never even knew of each other.) My bad feeling is slightly appeased here, as I identify with him.

Association: My long-ago school-friend and I were born on the same day, in the same ward. He was not too bright in school. (I was.) He was a slight mischief maker or, actually, tended to get caught up in any, never actually the ringleader. (I was similar, possibly the ringleader, jointly with another mutual friend.)

Rob

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Post There's a Hole in My Heart in the Shape of You
Rob wrote:
I see an ex-girlfriend, seated. I feel all the bad feeling I had at time of break up. I seem to understand that she has since married.

When I read your dream I immediately flashed back to the music video You’ve Made A Hole In My Heart I came across recently. It is of course a connection to the repeating dream I have been having for about fifty-five years featuring my high school sweetheart. “A hole was left in my heart” when she decided to become a nun. It was only in 2003 that I finally understood with Remo’s help that it was my fate to have to live more consciously by realizing that behind that “love” was another woman, the World Soul, who was waiting for me to work out a relationship with Her via entering Eros ego consciousness. In other words I had to individuate by forging a conscious relationship with my inner partner – something that will eventually be consciously realized as an incarnation of more light in my world.
Attachment:
Hole In My Heart Animation.gif
Hole In My Heart Animation.gif [ 243.3 KiB | Viewed 1670 times ]

Quote:
Male Refrain

There's a hole in my heart
And I carry it wherever I go
Like a treasure that travels with me down every road
There's this longing lonesome and deep
Kind of bitter, kind of sweet
There's a hole in my heart in the shape of you

Quote:
Female Refrain

I was looking for a way to get close to you,
But I got inside, I got inside,
Nothing in the world could pull me back again,
Now I'm inside, now I'm inside

We live in a time of the “metamorphosis of the God-image” which brings with it a new worldview. Just what the new God-image will look like (something beyond the cross in Christianity, the crescent moon in Islam, etc.) is found in Remo’s opus which is geometrically a hexagon. The Return of the World Soul – Part I bookcover emphasizes that this sacred geometry is connected to the SOS as seen in the heart chakra. Another possible new God-image which builds on Remo’s opus is my avatar which contains 20 hexagons. Like this there will be many new God-images (avatars) in which each of them add something further to the exploring of the various aspects contained in the SOS symbol. Of course no symbol can ever be fully understood for it points to something eternal and dynamic. But every individuation adds something to the overall picture of the Revelation that accompanies such a new symbol.

The following quote gives a glimpse into the coming “ordeal of the Apocalypse” of which you are a part.

Quote:
I don't like to keep anybody in suspense, so I'm going to answer the basic question right at the start; and then all the rest of the course will be an enlargement upon it. The basic question that I am concerned with is: What does the “Apocalypse” mean psychologically? And my formula answer to that question is: “Apocalypse” means the coming of the Self into conscious realization. And when this happens it's a momentous event. Of course, it's experience can manifest itself in very different ways if it takes place in an individual psyche or if it takes place in the collective - very different indeed. But in either case, it's a momentous event; because it is literally world-shattering. That's what the content of the archetype speaks about: shattering of the world as its been and redoing it.

Now, certainly in terms of collective phenomena, we have evidence all around us in our daily analytic practice and in contemporary world history that this earth-shaking archetypal event is taking place right here and now. It's already started. It's manifesting in international relations; in the breakdown of the social structures of Western civilization; in political, ethnic, and religious groupings; and in the psyche of individuals. One can perceive the Apocalypse archetype active in all those various arenas - once you have eyes to see it, once you're familiar with it. You see the further evidence in science fiction, books, movies, and television programs. You see it in the proliferation of apocalyptic cults, sects; and even mainstream fundamentalism is taking on apocalyptic tones. That has been a very prominent feature that I've noticed in, as I've been observing that phenomena for about, well, more than this last half century. And fifty years ago, mainstream fundamentalist did not have the kind of apocalyptic presuppositions that they now have enthroned - a big change. And linked to the Apocalypse archetype is the idea of the coming of the divine sovereign, we have this image that's more and more gripping the modern mind, and that's the image of the possible encounter with extraterrestrial intelligence - which in many cases in science fiction, when it happens, is followed by apocalyptic consequences. It's an aspect of the same archetype.

When we consider the phenomena of religious groups who are quite explicitly identified with the archetype, and not just marginally so, I see a whole spectrum from one end to the other. At one extreme one sees apocalyptic sects of a semi-suicidal nature that are often no more than large family groupings centered around a charismatic character who is quasi-criminal and/or quasi-psychotic - such figures as Charles Manson, Jim Jones, or David Koresh. Those are, that's an extreme version of group possession, concrete group possession by the Apocalyptic [sic] archetype.

Moving along the spectrum, a little less extreme, but still pretty far out , are the bombshelter, stockpiling, survivalist cults who are holing up in remote regions, heavily armed and waiting for Armageddon.

Further along the spectrum on a larger scale are apocalyptic sects. The only difference between a cult, a sect, and a denomination is numbers. If you've only got a small group, you've got a cult; If they get up to five hundred thousand or a million members, you can't call them a cult anymore, they become a sect; and if you get ten million members then they're a bona fide denomination. Pure statistical, no other qualitative difference, basically. Of course the larger the grouping, the more it gets ironed out, and the less - well, the fire gets damped out of it, let's say.

Anyway, now coming to the apocalyptic sects. There are a number of those; probably the most well known are Jehovah's Witnesses and the Seventh Day Adventists. Those are each approaching about a million, between seven hundred fifty thousand and a million members in the United States; and they've got world-wide connections, too. So they're almost becoming almost conventional just by virtue of the statistics.

And still farther along the spectrum are the relatively more moderate, conventional fundamentalist churches and preachers who are convinced that the time of the “End” is upon us and are expecting to be “raptured” up to Heaven anytime. And there are millions and millions of Americans who have those convictions.

Finally, at the complete other end of the spectrum of possession by the Apocalypse archetype are the apparently secular rationalistic environmentalist. I don't mean just people who are concerned about the environment, I mean the ones whose behavior and way of life indicate that they are functioning out of, on the basis of, a religious dimension to their libido. It's the passionate intensity that reveals possession by the archetype. So, you don't even have to be consciously religious to be possessed by the archetype.

Those are some of the collective manifestations that are immediately visible. And then we have individual manifestations which analysts are in a position to see all the time. And, in this case, when the imagery of the Apocalypse archetype comes up in the analytic process, it's immediately recognized as part of the phenomenology of the individuation process, representing the emerging of the Self in conscious realization by the individual. And those four aspects that I mentioned earlier in the apocalyptic literature also apply in the individual manifestation: revelation; judgment; destruction and punishment; and new world.

"Revelation" has the psychological correlate of a shattering new insight with the flow of transpersonal images into consciousness; that would be the individual version of revelation. "Judgment" is experienced in the form of an abrupt profound awareness of the shadow which at times can be so overpowering that it can threaten complete demoralization. When someone is confronted with his dark and dubious nature that he's known all along abstractly and intellectually, but suddenly it comes into focus as living concrete reality - it's a big shock. And then the theme of "Destruction or Punishment" is manifested by anxiety in the individual. And the coming of a “New World” would correspond to the emergence of mandala and quaternity images as the possibility of a conscious relation to the Self and its wholeness begins to appear.

This ordeal of the Apocalypse - beginning now and to which all of humanity is being subjected - corresponds to Job's ordeal in the Bible yet even more pertinently to Christ's ordeal. Christ was the first attempt of the God-image to incarnate and transform itself. Now, the second time around, humanity as a whole and not just one person is going to be the subject of that process. God is going to incarnate in humanity as a whole and in that incarnated form offer himself as a self-sacrifice to bring about his own transformation - just as he did with the individual Christ. Edinger, Archetype of the Apocalypse, pp. 5-7

Gregory

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks again, Gregory,

I will try to digest what you say here as a little bit vague to me.

Remo’s book is a bit beyond me too.

With regard to avatars, three interlocking triangles, as in the Valknut symbol, comes to my mind quite easily. I’m also, in my musings, getting two D-shape semi-circles, back to back to form a circle.

I get the Edinger stuff, and it seems clear, but wonder if he is a bit free and easy in his interpretations sometimes. I think I have seen this opined on this site somewhere too.

Will continue my meditations…

Rob

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]