UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:55 am

[ 13 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 headline: "Doomsday Fears Spark Lawsuit" 

Post headline: "Doomsday Fears Spark Lawsuit"
Fears that the 'worlds biggest particle collider' located at CERN labratory in Europe,

"might create globe-gobbling black holes or never-before-seen strains of matter that would destroy the planet"

has sparked a lawsuit in which the builders of the Hadron collider face being sued in federal court. The suit "seeks a temporary restraining order that would put the LHC on hold, pending release and review of an updated CERN safety assessment...[and] also calls on the U.S. government to do a full environmental review.."

One wonders exactly how this study will be undertaken, what a 'full environmental review' could look like in such a case.

The information struck me as being important in view of what Remo has often said in regard to the artifical act of splitting the atom, an act which he has stated was equal to, if not the same as, the "rape of the World Soul' (ie) Eros consciousness or 'matter'. It seems that on some level, then, people like Paul Dixon, a psychologist at the University of Hawaii at Hilo who is mentionned in the article, are actually touching on a similar sensibility to that which this forum gravitates toward. Namely, Dixon questions the idea of the use of 'synthetic force', which in some of our discussions has been equated with the concept of 'black magic', an act of 'conjuring' wielded by logos consciousness in a bid for greater power over nature --- . As an example of the concern he has been voicing, Dixon for instance has said that, "experiments at Fermilabs Tevatron are in danger of touching off an artificial supernova".

Major material for our consideration...

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 23924.aspx

Kristin

Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:48 am

Post Uh oh, spaghettio
I read a book that the author claims that was created synchronistically (the details of how are reported on his website).
I don't take prophecies too seriously, but the book centers around the Mayan 2012 date and is an interesting read nonetheless.
Anyway, he predicts that on May 14, 2008 the world will receive some kind of warning that all will see.
I thought of the book when I first heard about CERN in my cosmology class last semester.
The author's website is here:
http://www.authorsden.com/joelkeene
Cheerio,
Michael

Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:17 am

Post COME ONE, COME ALL!

LARGE HADRON COLLIDER 2008 - OPEN DAY

Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:14 am

Post Re: Uh oh, spaghettio & the Maya High God
Michael wrote:
I read a book that the author claims that was created synchronistically (the details of how are reported on his website).
I don't take prophecies too seriously, but the book centers around the Mayan 2012 date and is an interesting read nonetheless.
Anyway, he predicts that on May 14, 2008 the world will receive some kind of warning that all will see.
I thought of the book when I first heard about CERN in my cosmology class last semester.
The author's website is here:
http://www.authorsden.com/joelkeene
Cheerio,
Michael

The Mayan god of all gods, Hunab Ku, is said to exist in the center of each galaxy, radiating its intent out to life through each local star. It is in this galactic core that the motion of the galaxy is initiated and it's superstructure distributed out to it's components. Galactic time and it's dynamic web of gravitational effects entrains solar time which, in turn, entrains cellular time through the circadian rhythms of nature. The Maya were the emissaries of Hunab Ku tasked with tracking and calculating the movements of time as they relate to our planet and it's "harmonic relationship" with the galactic core.

It's interesting to relate the glyph of the Hunab Ku to the concept of a black hole, which we now suspect lies at the center of the Milky Way. Like the yin-yan, the Hunab Ku is a dynamic interplay of black and white. A black hole is an ultra-dense gravitational object so powerful that light itself cannot escape it's surface. While the galactic core keeps the dark firmament moving and hung with bright stars, their light is always being drawn into the darkness. The glyph of Hunab Ku is said to be a two-way street, allowing access to the core of any galaxy. Warping and bending with gravity, at the point of dissolution time ceases, space collapses, and infinity is revealed.

Mayan cosmology is intrinsically bound to time and the Tzolkien is their codification of a fractal, cyclical conception of motion radiating outward from the galactic center, through our star to Earth. The product of a 365 day solar/lunar calendar and a 260 day sacred calendar, the Tzolkien presents a great cycle of 5200 tun of 360 days each. This is roughly 5128 years for the current cycle, beginning at about 3113 B.C. Within this cycle of 5200 tun are 13 baktuns, or eras, of about 144,000 days each (Current 144?). The present baktun is the 13th and last, set to end on that fateful day in December of 2012.

More on this here:

http://www.futurehi.net/archives/000653.html

NOTE: There needs to be some caution about accepting these current April-May "predicted" happenings as real and beneficial. Many a time has come and gone down through the centuries when predictions did not turn out to be true in any literal sense.

MICHAEL, I need some help again about how to embed a video. I can't seem to get it straight. This time I will write down your directions in Notepad.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:50 pm
Profile Personal album

Post Re: Critics Fear Collider Could Doom Earth - update
kristin wrote:
Fears that the 'worlds biggest particle collider' located at CERN labratory in Europe,

"might create globe-gobbling black holes or never-before-seen strains of matter that would destroy the planet"

has sparked a lawsuit in which the builders of the Hadron collider face being sued in federal court. The suit "seeks a temporary restraining order that would put the LHC on hold, pending release and review of an updated CERN safety assessment...[and] also calls on the U.S. government to do a full environmental review.."

One wonders exactly how this study will be undertaken, what a 'full environmental review' could look like in such a case.

The information struck me as being important in view of what Remo has often said in regard to the artifical act of splitting the atom, an act which he has stated was equal to, if not the same as, the "rape of the World Soul' (ie) Eros consciousness or 'matter'. It seems that on some level, then, people like Paul Dixon, a psychologist at the University of Hawaii at Hilo who is mentionned in the article, are actually touching on a similar sensibility to that which this forum gravitates toward. Namely, Dixon questions the idea of the use of 'synthetic force', which in some of our discussions has been equated with the concept of 'black magic', an act of 'conjuring' wielded by logos consciousness in a bid for greater power over nature --- . As an example of the concern he has been voicing, Dixon for instance has said that, "experiments at Fermilabs Tevatron are in danger of touching off an artificial supernova".

Major material for our consideration...

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 23924.aspx

Kristin

Hi Kristin, I just saw this most recent article on my AOL news page:

Critics Fear Collider Could Doom Earth

By DOUGLAS BIRCH,AP
Posted: 2008-06-29 23:04:48
Filed Under: Science News
MEYRIN, Switzerland (June 29) - The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some bizarre discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on in August.

But some critics fear the Large Hadron Collider could exceed physicists' wildest conjectures: Will it spawn a black hole that could swallow Earth? Or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead clump?

Ridiculous, say scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, known by its French initials CERN - some of whom have been working for a generation on the $5.8 billion collider, or LHC.

"Obviously, the world will not end when the LHC switches on," said project leader Lyn Evans.

David Francis, a physicist on the collider's huge ATLAS particle detector, smiled when asked whether he worried about black holes and hypothetical killer particles known as strangelets.

"If I thought that this was going to happen, I would be well away from here," he said.

The collider basically consists of a ring of supercooled magnets 17 miles in circumference attached to huge barrel-shaped detectors. The ring, which straddles the French and Swiss border, is buried 330 feet underground.

The machine, which has been called the largest scientific experiment in history, isn't expected to begin test runs until August, and ramping up to full power could take months. But once it is working, it is expected to produce some startling findings.

Scientists plan to hunt for signs of the invisible "dark matter" and "dark energy" that make up more than 96 percent of the universe, and hope to glimpse the elusive Higgs boson, a so-far undiscovered particle thought to give matter its mass.

The collider could find evidence of extra dimensions, a boon for superstring theory, which holds that quarks, the particles that make up atoms, are infinitesimal vibrating strings.

The theory could resolve many of physics' unanswered questions, but requires about 10 dimensions - far more than the three spatial dimensions our senses experience.

The safety of the collider, which will generate energies seven times higher than its most powerful rival, at Fermilab near Chicago, has been debated for years. The physicist Martin Rees has estimated the chance of an accelerator producing a global catastrophe at one in 50 million - long odds, to be sure, but about the same as winning some lotteries.

By contrast, a CERN team this month issued a report concluding that there is "no conceivable danger" of a cataclysmic event. The report essentially confirmed the findings of a 2003 CERN safety report, and a panel of five prominent scientists not affiliated with CERN, including one Nobel laureate, endorsed its conclusions.

Critics of the LHC filed a lawsuit in a Hawaiian court in March seeking to block its startup, alleging that there was "a significant risk that ... operation of the Collider may have unintended consequences which could ultimately result in the destruction of our planet."

One of the plaintiffs, Walter L. Wagner, a physicist and lawyer, said Wednesday CERN's safety report, released June 20, "has several major flaws," and his views on the risks of using the particle accelerator had not changed.

On Tuesday, U.S. Justice Department lawyers representing the Department of Energy and the National Science Foundation filed a motion to dismiss the case.

The two agencies have contributed $531 million to building the collider, and the NSF has agreed to pay $87 million of its annual operating costs. Hundreds of American scientists will participate in the research.

The lawyers called the plaintiffs' allegations "extraordinarily speculative," and said "there is no basis for any conceivable threat" from black holes or other objects the LHC might produce. A hearing on the motion is expected in late July or August.

In rebutting doomsday scenarios, CERN scientists point out that cosmic rays have been bombarding the earth, and triggering collisions similar to those planned for the collider, since the solar system formed 4.5 billion years ago.

And so far, Earth has survived.

"The LHC is only going to reproduce what nature does every second, what it has been doing for billions of years," said John Ellis, a British theoretical physicist at CERN.

Critics like Wagner have said the collisions caused by accelerators could be more hazardous than those of cosmic rays.

Both may produce micro black holes, subatomic versions of cosmic black holes - collapsed stars whose gravity fields are so powerful that they can suck in planets and other stars.

But micro black holes produced by cosmic ray collisions would likely be traveling so fast they would pass harmlessly through the earth.

Micro black holes produced by a collider, the skeptics theorize, would move more slowly and might be trapped inside the earth's gravitational field - and eventually threaten the planet.

Ellis said doomsayers assume that the collider will create micro black holes in the first place, which he called unlikely. And even if they appeared, he said, they would instantly evaporate, as predicted by the British physicist Stephen Hawking.

As for strangelets, CERN scientists point out that they have never been proven to exist. They said that even if these particles formed inside the Collider they would quickly break down.

When the LHC is finally at full power, two beams of protons will race around the huge ring 11,000 times a second in opposite directions. They will travel in two tubes about the width of fire hoses, speeding through a vacuum that is colder and emptier than outer space.

Their trajectory will be curved by supercooled magnets - to guide the beams around the rings and prevent the packets of protons from cutting through the surrounding magnets like a blowtorch.

The paths of these beams will cross, and a few of the protons in them will collide, at a series of cylindrical detectors along the ring. The two largest detectors are essentially huge digital cameras, each weighing thousands of tons, capable of taking millions of snapshots a second.

Each year the detectors will generate 15 petabytes of data, the equivalent of a stack of CDs 12 miles tall. The data will require a high speed global network of computers for analysis.

Wagner and others filed a lawsuit to halt operation of the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, or RHIC, at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York state in 1999. The courts dismissed the suit.

The leafy campus of CERN, a short drive from the shores of Lake Geneva, hardly seems like ground zero for doomsday. And locals don't seem overly concerned. Thousands attended an open house here this spring.

"There is a huge army of scientists who know what they are talking about and are sleeping quite soundly as far as concerns the LHC," said project leader Evans.

Slide pictures at this link:

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/critics-fear-collider-could-doom-earth/20080628165609990001

Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:37 am
Profile Personal album

Post LHC-It Has To Uncover the Origin of Mass One Way or theOther
All,

Below is a link to a YouTube video in which physicists offer some reasons of why they are involved in LCH operation. It is most interesting to listen with two ears at the same time - one tuned to the practical "outer" interest - the other ear tuned to the spiritual "inner" quest. For example

Quote:
...on the verge of understanding the universe...

Quote:
Science is what we do when we don't know what we are doing.

Quote:
It (LHC) has to uncover the origin of mass one way or the other.

Quote:
If we don't find the Higgs it means that we really haven't understood something.

The Six Billion Dollar Experiment - Part 5

For a recent review with many links see http://www.nowpublic.com/technology/pot ... xperiments

Gregory

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Post "twists in the doomsday debate"
And so it continues....

Legal tussle over proposed start-up of the LHC at Cern, scheduled for September 10th, faces new twists':

http://www.cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/arch ... 76192.aspx

The image depicts matter and anti-matter....The proposed operation at CERN could be said to be set on creating a 'mirror of the universe' along these lines...

Oh, and thanks Suzanne and Gregory for the great stuff you've posted here. Cool.

Kristin

ps) o.k. guys, looks like this link isn't registering right now, but I do seem to have the correct address...oh well, check out 'cosmiclog.msnbc' if it doesn't work for you because the article is most informative.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:45 am

Post Another thread we had on this important topic!
kristin wrote:
And so it continues....

Legal tussle over proposed start-up of the LHC at Cern, scheduled for September 10th, faces new twists':

http://www.cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/arch ... 76192.aspx

The image depicts matter and anti-matter....The proposed operation at CERN could be said to be set on creating a 'mirror of the universe' along these lines...

Oh, and thanks Suzanne and Gregory for the great stuff you've posted here. Cool.

Kristin

ps) o.k. guys, looks like this link isn't registering right now, but I do seem to have the correct address...oh well, check out 'cosmiclog.msnbc' if it doesn't work for you because the article is most informative.

Hi Kristin, This is a very serious matter. So, maybe nothing will happen? But what if it does? When the first atomic bomb was exploded, those scientists - who dared to do it - had apprehensions about a chain reaction that might turn the atmosphere of the Earth into a fireball - or some such thing. I am not very familiar with science history and lingo. Now that I have supposedly gone completely nuts and think I am communicating with my deceased scientist friend, I have been finding out some very interesting things that I do not fully understand at all. "He" - even if he is only a creative figment of my own imagination - tells me to look up various terms on the Internet: the difference between fission and fusion, matter and anti-matter, "radio science", atomic ash, wave mechanics, and dark matter, among other things.

Looks like dark matter is something the LHC at Cern will be dealing with:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In physics and cosmology, dark matter is matter that does not interact with the electromagnetic force, but whose presence can be inferred from gravitational effects on visible matter. According to present observations of structures larger than galaxies, as well as Big Bang cosmology, dark matter accounts for the vast majority of mass in the observable universe.....

Detection of dark matter

These cosmological models predict that if WIMPs are what make up dark matter, trillions must pass through the Earth each second. Despite a number of attempts to find these WIMPs, none have yet been confirmedly found.

Experimental searches for these dark matter candidates have been conducted and are ongoing. These efforts can be divided into two broad classes: direct detection, in which the dark matter particles are observed in a detector; and indirect detection, which looks for the products of dark matter annihilations. Dark matter detection experiments have ruled out some WIMP and axion models. There are also several experiments claiming positive evidence for dark matter detection, such as DAMA/NaI, DAMA/LIBRA[19] and EGRET, but these are so far unconfirmed and difficult to reconcile with the negative results of other experiments. Several searches for dark matter are currently underway, including the Cryogenic Dark Matter Search in the Soudan mine, the XENON, DAMA/LIBRA and CRESST experiments at Gran Sasso and the ZEPLIN and DRIFT projects at the Boulby Underground Laboratory (UK), and many new technologies are under development, such as the ArDM experiment.

One possible alternative approach to the detection of WIMPs in nature is to produce them in the laboratory. Experiments with the Large Hadron Collider near Geneva may be able to detect WIMPs. Because a WIMP only has negligible interactions with matter, it can be detected as missing energy and momentum. It is also possible that dark matter consists of very heavy hidden sector particles which only interact with ordinary matter via gravity.

and

Quantum mechanical explanations

In another class of theories one attempts to reconcile gravitation with quantum mechanics and obtains corrections to the conventional gravitational interaction. In scalar-tensor theories, scalar fields like the Higgs field couple to the curvature given through the Riemann tensor or its traces. In many of such theories, the scalar field equals the inflaton field, which is needed to explain the inflation of the universe after the Big Bang, as the dominating factor of the quintessence or Dark Energy. Using an approach based on the exact renormalization group, M. Reuter and H. Weyer have shown[23] that Newton's constant and the cosmological constant can be scalar functions on spacetime if one associates renormalization scales to the points of spacetime. Some M-Theory cosmologists also propose that multi-dimensional forces from outside the visible universe have gravitational effects on the visible universe meaning that dark matter is not necessary for a unified theory of cosmology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

I have no idea what any of this means.

In this image, dark matter (blue) has become separated from luminous matter (red) in the bullet cluster.

http://home.slac.stanford.edu/pressreleases/2006/20060821.htm

For some reason, dark matter is a big theme in science fiction. A very long list of books, video games, movies, etc. are given here.

Dark matter in fiction
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a fun one: In Ghost Legion, the fourth and last book from the Star of the Guardians series, Margaret Weis describes life forms made of dark matter. Among other powers, these life forms can fly in space and alter gravity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter_in_fiction

Now, back to non-fiction. We had another thread on this topic that has become dormant. It has many useful details on it. You started the topic - kristin Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:35 am - as "The God Particle" and the LHC. You stated:

All,

Came across a most insightful fresh article by investigative mythologist and author William Henry and felt it both timely and important to post "Dis-cerning the God Particle: Scientists Build Stargate Device, Open a Black Hole and Fulfill Messianic Prophecy" here on the forum.

Take it as you will, but to my way of thinking Henry is really onto something, jibing in parts most remarkably with many of the things we discuss here on the UM.

Hold onto your hats folks...

-----------------

You, Ann, Bernie, and I all participated in 10 long posts with over 400 views from folks. That material can be an addition to what we have here at this thread for further discussion:

http://psychophysical.free.fr/viewtopic.php?t=751

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:56 am
Profile Personal album

Post Unification of Science & Religion
All,

It seems that the real discussion is about the title of this post - something Remo has spent those latter 33+ years of his life "working" on. Not just with the Logos ego consciousness but with help from the Eros ego as well and look at the conclusions he has been enlightened to draw!

The ignorance of the LHC communities’ intelligence shows in their one-sided enlightenment, i.e., pure science. The other source of enlightenment that has not been taken into account, i.e., checking in with the Creator to “see” what that information has to “say” - is missing.

The trouble with the latter is that the usual course of a life is to spend all their effort in the outer quest and none or hardly any on the inner. So, even suggesting such a possibility of an inner knowing immediately seems ridiculous to the science orientated community.

This is of course the long standing problem handed down to us through the centuries – the union of science and religion. Working with only half a deck is not enough assurance that all will be well. Further this applies not only to science but to politics, raising a family, etc.

Gregory

PS Of course yours truly has a rather checkered past when trying to keep both sides of this equation in view – so it is not about placing blame – but rather about taking responsibility for actions in this world as deeply as possible. Our survival may depend on it.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Founder

From my Ms. "Return of the World Soul:"

Quote:
The great tragedy of the physicist’s life, who was so intensely involved in Carl Jung’s depth psychology and clarified some of the latters most important terms, lies in the circumstance that he in fact was convinced that physics should not only be combined with depth psychology and parapsychology, but also with mysticism, did however not have the means to reach this state. In a published paper he writes that in certain periods of history it is “the aim … to try to include science in a more comprehensive spiritualism involving mystical elements.” Then he continues:

Quote:
“In contrast to science, the mystical attitude is not characteristic of the occident (Abendland); in spite of differencies in detail it is common to occident and orient. … Mysticism seeks the unity of all external things and the unity of the inner man with them; this it does by seeking to see through the multiplicity of things as illusory and unreal. Thus there comes about, stage by stage, man’s unity with the Godhead – Tao in China, Samadhi in India or Nirvana in Buddhism. … Thoroughgoing mysticism does not ask ‘why?’ It asks ‘How can man escape evil, the suffering, of this terrible, menacing universe? How can it be recognised as appearance; how can the ultimate reality, the Brahman, the One, the Godhead (no longer personal for Eckhard) be seen?’ … I believe that it is the destiny of the occident continually to keep bringing into connection with each other these two fundamental attitudes, on the one hand the rational-critical, which seeks to understand, and on the other the mystic-irrational, which looks for the redeeming experience of oneness. Both attitudes will always reside in the human soul, and each will always carry the other already within itself as the germ of its contrary. Thus there arises a sort of dialectical process, of which we do not know wither it is leading us. I believe that as occidentals (Abendländer) we have to commit ourselves to this process, and recognise the pair of opposites as complementary. We cannot and will not completely sacrifice the ego-consciousness which observes the universe, but we can also accept intellectually the experience of oneness as a kind of limiting case or idea limiting conception. While allowing the tension of opposites to remain, we must also recognise that on any path to knowledge or to salvation we are dependent on factors beyond our control, which religious language has always designated as Grace.”

Theoretically, with the help of his incredibly great mind, the Nobel laureate realized the problem and its solution. Empirically, however, he was not able to enter its verification. Thus he deceased without having reached the real psychophysical quaternity, the Logos ego/Logos Self connection combined with the Eros ego/Eros Self unification.

Remo

The more loved by the wise.'
(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Founder

Always ad a blank at the end, then the link works

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 76192.aspx

Remo

The more loved by the wise.'
(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:01 pm
Profile WWW

Post start-up confirmed....
Well Guys, it's D-Day for the LHC, which has it's official start-up TOMORROW, September 10th/08. Elsewhere on site I recently posted the date of October 21st, but I think that one refers to another part of the test -- at this point though, I'm way behind on my Cern info.

Apropos of all the talk, here's an interesting read --- question: will we still actually BE here tomorrow, or will this reality effectively morph into another one that simply takes it's place (and we won't even realize that it's happened), etcetcetcetc...

http://www.zaporacle.com/textpattern/ar ... y-on-earth

And hey, if we aren't here tomorrow, see you on the other side...

Bon Voyage and blessings to all Beings!

what dreams may come,
Kristin

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:43 am

Post Re: start-up confirmed.... still here -- so far!
kristin wrote:
Well Guys, it's D-Day for the LHC, which has it's official start-up TOMORROW, September 10th/08. Elsewhere on site I recently posted the date of October 21st, but I think that one refers to another part of the test -- at this point though, I'm way behind on my Cern info.

Apropos of all the talk, here's an interesting read --- question: will we still actually BE here tomorrow, or will this reality effectively morph into another one that simply takes it's place (and we won't even realize that it's happened), etcetcetcetc...

http://www.zaporacle.com/textpattern/ar ... y-on-earth

And hey, if we aren't here tomorrow, see you on the other side...

Bon Voyage and blessings to all Beings!

what dreams may come,
Kristin

Hi Kristin, Well, so far so good, but maybe that is only because some of the heavy duty stuff does not get done until next month at CERN...

Massive particle collider passes first key tests

ALEXANDER G. HIGGINS, Associated Press Writer Alexander G. Higgins, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 29 mins ago Reuters – Scientists look at a computer screen at the control centre of the CERN in Geneva September 10, 2008. …

BBC GENEVA – The world's largest particle collider passed its first major tests by firing two beams of protons in opposite directions around a 17-mile (27-kilometer) underground ring Wednesday in what scientists hope is the next great step to understanding the makeup of the universe.

After a series of trial runs, two white dots flashed on a computer screen at 10:26 a.m. (0826 GMT) indicating that the protons had traveled clockwise along the full length of the 4 billion Swiss franc (US$3.8 billion) Large Hadron Collider — described as the biggest physics experiment in history.

"There it is," project leader Lyn Evans said when the beam completed its lap.

Champagne corks popped in labs as far away as Chicago, where contributing and competing scientists watched the proceedings by satellite.

Five hours later, scientists successfully fired a beam counterclockwise.

REST OF ARTICLE and slide show

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/20080910/ap_on_sc/big_bang

-----------------------

Here's what might happen eventually if a tiny black hole does morph into a BIG black hole and swallows us all up:

(This video is only 45 seconds. There is a longer one below that is over 9 minutes and has excellent visuals to explain the various processes and dangers. It is done in an understandable manner for those of us without much science background.)

Suzanne

Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:13 pm
Profile Personal album
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]