UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 am

[ 5 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 Medusa, Pegasus, Trauma Cure 

Post Medusa, Pegasus, Trauma Cure
<RFR: I created a new thread with Michael's remark about a book Tom recommended: Waking the Tiger by Dr. Peter Levine , obviously a book that combines Eugen Gendlin's Focusing method with a symbolic approach. It seems to me to be very important to discuss this combination of Gendlin and Jung, since also BCI points in the same direction.>

The following is another excerpt from Waking the Tiger:

Quote:
In the myth of Medusa, anyone who looked directly into her eyes would quickly turn to stone. Such is the case with trauma. If we attempt to confront trauma head on, it will continue to do what it has already done--immobilize us in fear. Before Perseus set out to conquer Medusa, he was warned by Athena not to look directly at the Gorgon. Heeding the goddess's wisdom, he used his shield to reflect Medusa's image; by doing so, he was able to cut off her head. Likewise, the solution to vanquishing trauma comes not through confronting it directly, but by working with its reflection, mirrored in our instinctual responses.

Trauma is so arresting that traumatized people will focus on it compulsively. Unfortunately, the situation that defeated them once will defeat them again and again. Body sensations can serve as a guide to reflect where we are experiencing trauma, and to lead us to our instinctual resources. These resources give us the power to protect ourselves from predators and other hostile forces. Each of us possesses these instinctual resources. Once we learn how to access them we can create our own shileds to reflect and heal our traumas.

In dreams, mythical stories, and lore, one universal symbol for the human body and its instinctual nature is the horse. Interestingly enough, when Medusa was slain, two things emerged from her body: Pegasus, the winged horse, and Chrysaor, a warrior with a golden sword. We couldn't find a more appropriate metaphor. The sword symbolizes absolute truth, the mythic hero's ultimate weapon of defense. It conveys a sense of clairty and triumph, of rising to meet extraordinary challenges, and of ultimate resourcefulness. The horse symbolizes instinctual grounding, while wings create an image of movement, soaring, and rising above an earth-bound existence. Since the horse represents instinct and body, the winged horse speaks of transformation through embodiment. Together the winged horse and the golden sword are auspicious symbols for the resources traumatized people discover in the process of vanquishing their own Medusas.

As we begin the healing process we use what is known as the "felt sense," or internal body sensations. These sensations serve as a portal through which we find the symptoms, or reflections of trauma. In directing our attention to these internal body sensations, rather than attacking the trauma head-on, we can unbind and free the energies that have been held in check. (Levine, pp. 65-66)

Interesting connection from my healing initiation to your blog about Jung's Pegasus vision. :o

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:16 am
Founder

Post Eugene Gendlin, Focusing and BCI
First I'd like to add a general remark. When I first met Focusing I immediately felt that Eugene Gendlin's method is very similar to Body-Centered Imagination.

When Eugene Gendlin was once in Zurich I met him in a workshop. There he gave me a very important appreciation of BCI. He said: Focusing is dealing with the personal unconscious, with the help of your method one dives however directly into the collective unconscious.

This was the first time that I was able to see the relationship of Gendlin's Focusing with Carl Jung's theory.

Today I would say that BCI does not so much deal with Jung's collective unconscious, but with the psychophysical reality behind or even beyond the former.

Remo

PS: Eugene Gendlin was the first therapist I met, who was a feeling type. It was such a difference to work with him, in comparision with all the Jungian therapists I had met before. I felt him from belly to belly, whereus with the Jungians only an intellectual dispute was possible.

The more loved by the wise.'
(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Founder

Post The Sword and the Synchronicity Quest
What Levine describes here is very important: If we cut off the head, we can get a relationship with the "horse" = Pegasus = belly = instincts, as well as with the sword = "cutting" intellect.

The first aspect is obvious, and I have dealt with it in the thread Carl Jung's Pegasus Vision and the psychophysical reality, http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?t=193 .

However, the second aspect, the sword, is not so obvious. Experience shows however that thinking comes back, and even becomes very creative, if we are first able "to cut off the head", enter the belly and let the images emerge from there. In this moment we begin to combine the Eros with the Logos.

A further experience of mine shows that it is exactly with the help of this attitude that we can enter what I call the synchronicity quest. Out of the Eros ego we begin to do the right thing during the right time, and like this the outer experience leads us more and more back to the dream of the last night (or some time before). We begin to live synchronistically.

For a long time I was not conscious about the fact that I try as much as possible to be in this state I call the synchronicity quest. Only with the help of the discussion in the UNUS MUNDUS forum I began to realize that I'm doing so.

Therefore, thanks to all of you.

Remo

Remo

The more loved by the wise.'
(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: The Sword and the Synchronicity Quest
Remo Roth wrote:
A further experience of mine shows that it is exactly with the help of this attitude that we can enter what I call the synchronicity quest. Out of the Eros ego we begin to do the right thing during the right time, and like this the outer experience leads us more and more back to the dream of the last night (or some time before). We begin to live synchronistically.
Remo

This is a very important aspect: doing the right thing at the right time. Like this 'things' happen out of themselves and everything is in order.

This is another instance of being a bridge or a canal: the right time flows through us and incarnates. I know this is a weird phrasing, but it expresses (or tries to) how the timelessness of the unus mundus reduces itself to the proper instant of the quantum leap.

Roger

The fate of fire depends on wood; as long as there is wood below, the fire burns above. It is the same in human life; there is in man likewise a fate that lends power to his life. And if he succeeds in assigning the right place to life and to fate, thus bringing the two into harmony, he puts his fate on a firm footing.

I Ching #50

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:37 am
Profile Personal album

Post a precondition for use of the sword
Once I had a dream in which I was supplied with the following information:

Boredom is vanquished/banished by the 'Sword of Engagement', but the only way to have access to this Sword is through 'the Silence of the Loon'

Through this dream I saw that the Sword which allows me to 'engage' with the world (the clarity of 'speech' or 'action' that the sword represents and 'lends' to me, the wielder), is only accessible for use IF I can first access the so-called 'Silence of the Loon'.... Very mysterious.

For a long time the phrase 'the Silence of the Loon' remained a secret to me. I knew that the Loon was a water bird that lives a quiet life in wild places, diving deeply to catch its food, making an occasional remarkable 'cry' which is very loud and otherwordly. I had heard and seen Loons and consider them to be remarkable birds. It was not until almost 5 years later, however, (this year in fact due to the forum discussions) that I saw that the the word "loon" is also a derogative word, used to describe a person who has 'gone crazy'!

Now I was onto something important. I realized that the person who is called crazy, the Fool, is the "Loon", and therefore that the 'Silence of the Fool' is a challenge that literally needs to be met before a person is allowed to use their 'sword' in the world. Elsewhere, in a thread on 'the Fool' and Body Centered Imagination, we discussed the importance of the role of the Fool to the wu wei stance. Many who are called 'crazy' are sometimes the sanest of all, as we well know from our discussions here on the unus mundus. The Fool (on the Hill), the Wise Fool, is the one who can enter into body-centered consciousness, the 'Eros consciousness' that Remo speaks of here on the forum. In order to be able to use the 'logos' Sword with true clarity and wisdom, therefore, we must first enter this precondition and learn to integrate our 'other' side, our non-logos self, into the equation of individuation. If we can do so consciously, we will have become 'whole' and thus we will be granted the use of our 'voice' and receive the gift of being able to 'act' in the world because we will now be acting out of our integrity and not just out of 'pride' or 'judgement' (unchecked 'logos' ego).

Now I have just had a second realization: the Loon, the bird itself, dives deeply in order to find its' food. This is the time when the bird is actually most 'silent' - when it is diving into the depths. This action is exactly parallel to the practice of B.C.I., wherein we 'dive' into the svadisthana (or 'water' chakra), the depths of the belly, to discover our true nourishment: timelessness or the 'Eros Consciousness'...

Truly, it seems, the inner guide never lies. Now with our 'sword' well in hand we can truly 'engage' in Remo's synchronicity quest with an open attitude as to what we might find!

Kristin

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]