UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:00 pm

[ 1 post ] 
Reply to topic
 A Synchronicity and a Prayer 

Post A Synchronicity and a Prayer
Many years ago, probably in the early 1980s, I was staying in Glastonbury for a short time. I remember buying a book which maintained that we were shortly to experience a series of 'earth changes', involving a change to the earth's axis, and massive flooding of all coastal areas. I think that the book involved channelling, and there was quite a lot of this type of material around at the time - probably still is. Anyway, for a time I bought into it. The dates predicted have long since come and gone, and I suspect that the science involved was not very accurate.

On my return to Sheffield, I visited the library, and for some reason, decided that the first book I withdrew from the shelf would address this issue. Without looking, I picked out a fantasy novel, 'A Swiftly Tilting Planet' by Madeleine L'Engle. It is a story for young adults, in which the main characters travel back through time, manipilating probalities and becoming involved in a series of decisive and critial points where reality branches into different alternative outcomes. In fact, they succeed, and a global catastrophe is averted.

Madeleine L'Engle was an interesting writer, having published poetry and fiction, and was a Christian mystic. I believe that she spent her last years living in an apartment in the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in New York. This novel is structured arount a prayer known as 'The Breastplate of Saint Patrick'. I believe that it is a traditional Catholic prayer, but I am not Catholic, or even Christian, and it still speaks to me. So here is the text as given in the novel:

'At Tara in this fateful hour
I place all Heaven with its power
And the sun with its brightness,
And the snow with with its whiteness,
And the fire with all the strength it hath,
And the lightning with its rapid wrath,
And the winds with their swiftness upon their path,
And the sea with its deepness,
And the rocks with their steepness,
And the earth with its starkness,
All these I place
By God's almighty help and grace
Between myself and the powers of darkness!'

Darkness is not always negative of course, and many of our problems arise because we reject the fertile darkness within ourselves, seeking only the light. But there is the destructive darkness caused by human imbalance, and that is how I would interpret its use here.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]