UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 am

[ 8 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 Symbols in modern art 

Post Symbols in modern art

I purchased this acrylic painting on Ebay ("City showers"), but only when I framed it and am looking at it at home I realize that it is not simply an "impressionist" painting. There are four people, two women and two men (presumably). This makes up an ideal quaternity, as von Franz explains in her fairytale books. Moreover, there are three umbrellas. Again, it is the motif of three and four, which I have been thinking about lately. The umbrella is a round wholeness symbol. Possibly that's why I like the painting so much.
/Mats

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:30 pm
Profile WWW

Post 2/2 quaternity
Mats - in the European Christian (which used to be called "Christendom") - Father, Son, Holy Ghost, Mary/psyche, does not the Holy Ghost reside on the yin side with Mary?

The pop culture is most naive - no academics or scholars are watching and quaternities are everywhere in pop culture although some official Jungians [Hillman] say myth is dead. I find this one interesting because they say all the American "superheros" are Jewish as their last name ends with "man" - Superman, etc. They were actually all invented by Stan Lee, a New York Jewish Romanian immigrant. Read in Jung somewhere how in jungle societies where there is no shaman the young man is led to find Self - "god" within himself. That would be Lee; Jews in NY were without rabbi and had to find their way in the "desert" - how Dali saw America in his dream/pictures. Note that this is in the sign of the cross and the two sides - the feminine in the signing of the cross - are spirit and Mary/Psyche, Ben in this picture - the "son" in Hebrew - is dominant at the top and he is a golem and father a plastic man weakling at bottom (father is the chief scientist in age when science is religion); should be the other way around in a healthy society. We live in golem age perhaps.

I think I posted here not long ago Fra Angelica's Christ on the Cross - in the European "Christendom" quaternity, the Christ holds the four corned universe virtually nailed together. But the Euro quaternity was fragile. Perhaps there is more to come with that and the Christian age was only a beginning. As this pop culture picture is made by an itinerart Jewish artist in NY in the 1950s it would suggest Rabbi Loeb's great golem vision working its way in time: Golem was on the path to NY and reigns there. But I think not for long.

As I vaguely recall, Jung wrote somewhere the cross - the crossing of two sticks - marks the quaternity and in Greek was called "fire" - as the rubbing of the two sticks formed fire. The intentional taking apart of the two sticks breaking apart of the two sticks or smashing them around - intentionally separating the two - would break the quaternity and should mark the end game and we have that as well:

In your picture yin and yang are together under one umbrella -as it is the the Hindu (Shiva and Shakti), Buddhism - represented as equal in this picture below - and now with Mormons, God the Father and God the Mother - which is or may be why they are seen by some as Aquarians in the new desert - the Christendom quaternity of Pisces seemed out of balance; all yin - the Mary of Nazareth - in the churches, but out of balance with "Father" in the Creed.

. . . and each figure in your picture has a shadow, making eight figures, four inward, four outward manifestaions, making a bagua and in this one the opposing polls are red and black as in your picture. And looked at as from above, the bagua strangely takes the shape of an umbrella:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:17 pm
Profile WWW

Post Superheros vs Chinese army
Hi Bernie and all,

A recent dream :

In the first part, Some people (soldiers?) are inside a mountain. An army seeks them.
In the second part, a small group of people contemplate a beautiful landscape. I see an Asian woman. But the Chinese army approach. The small group consists of superheros. The most powerful of them is dressed in traditional dress German. He is ready to fight. End of dream.

Comment :
I associated this "character" to Jung.

I like American movies that talk about superheros, especially Spiderman trilogy, the last Batman movie and Hulk.
But my dreams speak mainly of a French superhero : Asterix ( films based on this hero are pretty bad except "Mission Cléopâtre")
Astérix :
Tintin + Spielberg:

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Although the symbolic properties are quite relevant I am more attracted to images on account of their organic nature. Jung said that he found the images of his patients much more interesting than those of modern artists. He didn't much like modern art. But I don't concur, although I concede that there exists much nonsense. Modern art tends to look into the spirit of matter itself, while the images of Jung and his patients revolve around "ideas". I am surprised at the great success of the Red Book. Personally, I am not at all enthralled by Jung's images. On the other hand, I find oil paintings at a high degree of abstraction very attractive, like this one with forest themes, by Hans Ragnar Berntson:

Such images really awaken something in me - something which I suspect is the spiritus mercurialis, the creative spirit of the unconscious. In my daytime creativity I am good at programming computers and writing intellectual articles, etc. But the unconscious form of creativity is something quite different. It is hard to get at when one's daytime creativity is of quite another nature. Patrick's recent dream about the Egyptian trumpet is relevant in this context. It is as if all the means are at one's disposal, but one lacks the power to blow the trumpet. What is lacking is the creative instinct, it seems.

To me, personally, the organic nature of oil/acrylic painting, at a reasonably abstract level, represents the inroad to the spiritual form of creativity that springs from the unconscious. I have tried making "Jungian" symbolic images, but they simply don't engage me. Probably it has to do with their ideational nature. They are too close to my conscious standpoint, which always revolves around ideas. In order to find the true spiritual form of creativity, one must make a "sacrificio intellectualis", and give up one's daytime creativity. What I am searching for is a form of creativity - no matter how unostentatious - that is capable of stirring the creative instinct. (Perhaps Jung's sandplay experiments were of this order.) But it coincides with that dive into the unconscious waters, away from conscious involvements, which is termed the nigredo.

I think this is what the medieval alchemists experienced when they experimented with their chemicals. Of course, there is a lot of ideational content in alchemy, but one shouldn't think that this is the essential truth about alchemy, what alchemy is all about. This would be equal to throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I suggest that the unconscious creative spirit, very essential to the psychological process, came to expression (or tried to come to expression) in the chemical work itself. I don't deny that what underlies alchemy is the psychological process. However, it doesn't seem like psychological images and archetypal ideas can stir up the said spiritual form of creativity, at least not in many of us modern people. Hence, I believe that the rather "romantic" Jungian view of creativity could have damaging consequences - in many cases it could thwart a true spiritual form of creativity. So, to my view, Berntson's oil painting is truly alchemical, whereas Jung's own paintings represent more of a romantic spiritual attitude, on Gnostic or theosophical lines. This might be the correct path for some people, but for many of us it represents a blind alley.

I have been experimenting with photographies which I elaborate in PaintShop Pro and Painter Essentials. I took this photo yesterday, which was converted to below "oil painting" in Painter Essentials. It has some of that organic character which I find attractive. However, a strange thing occurred. The program created curious anomalies in the picture that look very much like eyes. They are looking straight out of the trees, the roots, etc., although they are not all visible in this diminished image. When I took the image, it seems as if the spirit of nature, Mercurius, was looking back at me, although I wasn't aware of it.

Mats Winther

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:18 am
Profile WWW

Post Suggestion
Suggest the tree is looking back at you. I very much like the picture. My discussion is short as it is from our new iPad. Had the similar experience in painting . . . Tree with eyes . . . Green man maybe . . . Later saw those talking trees in Tolkien and got a glimpse of the intuition . . . In the first book he talks of Tom Bobadil I think it is who has been around Germany and england before there were people. Green man.

Tom Bombadil said "'Eldest, that's what I am... Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn... He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside.'"

ImageImage

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:54 am
Profile WWW

The program created curious anomalies in the picture that look very much like eyes. They are looking straight out of the trees, the roots, etc., although they are not all visible in this diminished image. When I took the image, it seems as if the spirit of nature, Mercurius, was looking back at me, although I wasn't aware of it.

Can you talk more about this? When I first moved to Tucson I had many experiences where I saw eyes in nature looking at me, especially in the from of clouds.

Alex Grey includes a lot of eyes in his paintings.

Love.

michael

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:27 pm

I suppose "nature" in this case represents the 'materia prima' of the alchemists. This "inferior" substance is the stone that the builders rejected. There is a spirit imprisoned in matter, namely the spiritus mercurius. So when I take the photo and import it into the computer, symbolic of the alchemical vas, the spirit begins to emerge. It first becomes visible as eyes, symbolic of consciousness. As we gaze into the unconscious, there is an archaic form of consciousness looking back at us. Yesterday I made the following crude oil pastel, which contains something of the 'materia prima'. Notice that it is very remote from the "romantic" ideal of most Jungians, who prefer images like those in the Red Book.

'Materia prima' is primitive nature. In a dream I am urged to "follow the Negro". I start following him as he successively becomes more like an animal. He starts running on four legs, like a hound. He runs into the bush. I take after him. (In dreams of Westerners, Negroes typically play the unflattering role of primitive humans). What does this mean? It means that I ought to become "inferior, instinctual, and unconscious", as an advanced consciousness presents a hindrance to finding the 'materia prima'.

In this process, creativity plays an important role. I argue that the instinctual and "inferior" creative power abides in the unconscious. Jung devoted his life to writing intellectual books. But his anima (in the shape of Sabina Spielrein, it seems) urged him to abandon his "superior" function and instead devote himself to inferior "art" and sandplay. It is probably the same motif as in my own dreams, where I am urged to abandon my superior function. Jung, however, rejected the anima's suggestion out of hand, as an attempt to take control over consciousness. This is a very controversial interpretation, as if the anima was being solely destructive. The result was that he over-extended his conscious function. In the collected works he often repeats himself. Arguably, he deviated into romantic creativity, as he had rejected the unconscious creative source, rooted in instinct: the "creativity of the Negro", as it were.

Romantic creativity is a perversion of the creative function. It can develop into a form of addiction. As long as the individual leads the life of a dreamer, which is a moderate form of romanticism, then not much harm is done. But 'active imagination' implies that the romantic attitude is intensified. It develops into addiction. I don't know whether this is the case in all forms of active imagination, but in many cases it has the character of drug abuse.

Picasso was inspired by Negro art, as in the following example. Jung did not think highly of modern art. I argue that he threw the baby out with the bathwater. Art rooted in the black soil represents the 'materia prima', the stone which many of the Jungians have rejected.

Mats

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:29 am
Profile WWW

Post Man friday
Man Friday was the European's first movement to the African for intuition . . . On to Sam . . . The intuitive guide in Rick's Cafe American, the "center of the world" in the 1943 movie Casablanca and on again to Barack Obama. NOrman Mailer wrote a nice small book about this called "The White Negro."

This only followed the separation of the people from the divine mother . . . The earth itself in eurotime 1400s thereabouts leaving the white man of Europe and America alienated and possibly schizophrenic and panically looking for a guide back "home" even as he was striving for outer space. It is a symptom of division of people and earth. The native American was also such a guide. Natty bumpo . . . Hawkeye . . . Is the archetypal American composite rising again in the pop culture as a wolf in "Twilight." These are temporary guides for those lost but not enough . . . they are an admission of being lost. They lead to the trickster . . . The keeper of the deeper well.

Jung saw the neurosis in modern art but he appreciated and encouraged surrealism within the specific small group of Paris practitioners led by Breton . . . A sanga really . . . They were all in love with the same woman like the Hindu Pandava brothers . . . This work is archetypal and like Jung deeply conservative underneath.

The first big screen movie . . . Titled the jazz singer . . . Was a white man in black face . . . Huxley saw this as totalitarian vehicle of world control via the use of feelings. . . The "feelies"; in this case anima dominance as you say RE Jung and Sabrina . . . And in hindsight it is hard not to see that the American vehicle for world conquest was African American culture. . . . rock and roll . . . All popular music outside the Beatles . . . is primarily imitation and repetition of American black church music and so is all new religion. Beatles started with that but moved beyond . . . The phrase "I am he" indicates transfiguration.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]