UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:56 pm

[ 6 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 James Hillmann 
Founder

Post James Hillmann
As you perhaps know, James Hillman died Oct 27. I would like to open a discussion about his work and his philosophy here.

I always disliked Hillman's approach. It is just a feeling, but as you know, according to C.G. Jung also feelings are rational. They tell us yes or no, like or dislike.

The facts that I know: Hillman published together with Marie-Louise von Franz the book The Inferior Function. In the second part he talks about the feeling function. I had once begun to read it, but my feelings said no.

I know further that later MLvF did not allow a second edition of the book. However, Helmut Barz, former president of the Zurich Jung Institute published it against her will. I can imagine that she disliked his "Archetypal Psychology". My feeling is that it is somehow "schizophrenic", since he defines thousands of "Selfs". Ever Greek god is a symbol of the Self. This is what I did not like at all.

As much as I know, Matswin knows Hillman's work better. Could you tell us something about it?

Remo

The more loved by the wise.'
(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:16 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: James Hillmann
Remo Roth wrote:
As you perhaps know, James Hillman died Oct 27. I would like to open a discussion about his work and his philosophy here.

[...]My feeling is that it is somehow "schizophrenic", since he defines thousands of "Selfs". [...]Remo

A dream

Yesterday I had a long dream that I can only remember a few details :There was a book by James Hillman: I do not think I was reading it, it was rather as if the book (JH) "spoke" : I just remember the theme : it was about the gods.

I give some shorts extracts from his book: " Psychology : Monotheistic or Polytheistic*An annual of Archetypal Psychology and Jungian Thought, Spring 1971. I have the french edition : "Le polythéisme de l'âme".

Schyzophrenia/ polytheism

- Babel, or the proliferation of cults in the Hellenistic period, always seems to represent a degeneration.[...]Nevertheless, we can consider the proliferation of cults like a therapeia (worship, service and care) of the complexes in their many forms. Then we could understand the psychic fragmentation that supposedly specific to our time as the return of the repressed which brings with it a return of psychological polytheism.[...] without a conscious polytheistic psychology , are not we more vulnerable to unconscious fragmentation known as schyzophrenia?

- Jung used a polycentric description of the psyche. The light of nature was multiple. Following the traditional descriptions of the Anima Mundi, Jung says the Lumen Naturae it is a multitude of partial consciousness, like stars or like scintillans fish eyes . Polytheistic psychology fits this description and draws its imaged formulation in the traditional language of our civilization, as the example of classical mythology.

- [...] "we imprison all thought in Christ" ( Grégoire de Nazianze )[...]Monotheism, as Chronos, feeds with the gods he swallowed.

Lancelot and Arthurian chivalry

I'm currently reading a book by Markale on Lancelot. Markale compared to Lugh, the "multiple craftsman". Maybe Lancelot, marginal knight, represents the unique god, and the knights of the round table, the multiple gods.

Jean Markale : [...]In this case, Lancelot du Lac covers a mythological Irish tradition that is familiar: it is Lugh, panceltic god, fully autonomous, which as a multiple craftsman, can be considered as the absolute ruler of the institutional gods , the Tuatha Dé Danann or at least their essential master of work.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:15 am

Dream of this morning :

I dreamed of Atlas: it is a child who shows me a small stone lying on the ground: Above is the figure of the giant Atlas with his name inscribed. His legs seem short compared to his belly. Other children arrive. I am very interested in the way they speak: they look very "primitive" ( "archaic mentality").

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 am

I notice that my "spiritual" dreams often take place in the morning, just before I wake:
short dream of this morning :
A man thank his god to have done reborn but at the same time complaining that he did suffer.
It closely resembles what we read in the Bible, the relationship between Yahvé and his prophets.

Then I started thinking about how modern Jungians (authentic servants of the soul) died : (Jung, MLVF, Hillman, Solié) Christiane Singer was a "jungian" (I've never read her books), she died at 65 on 04/04/2007.
I read an article on the web : "last message by Christiane Singer" ( http://www.psychologies.com/Moi/Epreuve ... ane-Singer ) do not know if it's a synchronicity but there is a name under the picture ... the gods are everywhere!

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 am

Post Radical Monotheism
Maybe Lord of the Rings (Tolkien) tells of the struggle of God (single ring) against the gods (multiple rings) :

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

In the book "The New Polytheism" by David L.Miller, Chapter 3 is titled "the gold ring and the rise of darkness". The author is interested in the cover book of H. Richard Niebuhr Radical Monotheism and Western Culture :

[...]the circle is not yet completely filled by the many small oval drops but one wonders what will happen when they reach the limits of the gold ring[...]

Miller speaks of a growing polytheism of Western culture.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Yes! I have been doing an analysis of Hillman and his so-called Archetypal Psychology on my web site. It is located here: The Art of Tragedy: Hillman essay which explains how Hillman bowdlerizes Jungian psychology.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]