UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 am

[ 5 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 Bergman themes 

Post Bergman themes
This is my new article about some of the central themes that Swedish film
director Ingmar Bergman (1918 - 2007) returns to in his films.

Keywords: wild strawberries, the personal paradise, unconscious
suffering, Eurydice, scapegoatism, vicarious suffering, Christianity.

Bergman themes

Mats Winther

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:44 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Bergman themes
In "Hour of the Wolf" (Swedish: "Vargtimmen") Johan/Max von Sydow, the protagonist, goes through a descent into the night and a child appears to him, classically opening the path to awakening and transfiguration: One must intuitively follow the child ("Deathless Child, Christ Child) to the liberation.

Max instead kills the Child. Although it has been a long time since I've seen these, that seemed representative of the post-war period: The path was blocked.

In Kurt Cobain's phrase not long before his suicide there was "something in the way."

This descent of the feminine/Anima - a return to the womb - might seem to have begun in 1912 well represented by the Duchamp picture "Nude Descending a Staircase Number 2" a harbinger, a prophecy of the impending doom - Anima in Duchamp's picture returns to the earth and leaves us to our own devises world destruction followed in two world wars.

In that regard Bergman well represents life in the "Silence of God" should perhaps been called the Silence of Anima.

But as we may be seeing a "return" in our times at least to those like Fox who can still remember where they are from. The rest of us must find a new path.

But the earthy and unpretentious Jof and Mia who walk through the death with the Knight in The Seventh Seal still see the Mother and follow and as I recall, only they survive.

Last edited by Bernie Quigley on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:22 am
Profile WWW

It's The Hour of the Wolf, I believe, where Max von Sydow kills the child. He is a demon, like the rest of the people on the island. They are vampires, "man-eaters". So I am not convinced that the child means anything positive. But I will watch this film again. It is suggestive and dark.
/Mats

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:57 am
Profile WWW

As I recall (40 years since) the child is fishing: Reaching into the Unconscious.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:21 pm
Profile WWW

No, it is Johan Borg (Max von Sydow) who is fishing. The child bothers him. But I am not certain of the interpretation.
/Mats

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]