UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am

[ 9 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 Subtle body 

Post Subtle body
I got curious about subtle body today. It sort of hit me. I tried to do some research and now I'm reading about "the Mother". Is anyone familiar with her, her work "the Agenda", and Sri Aurobindo?

It is quite confusing so far..

Peace, Sang

p.s. I think it helped to reread the thread Jung and Subtle Body in the forum. :lol: "The Mother" sounded like an interesting woman. I wonder if Jung ever met her?

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:23 am

Post Satprem and his book 'MOTHER'
Hi Sang

I have been dipping into a second hand copy of the book "MOTHER" subtitled "The Mutation of Death"(#3 in the series), by Satprem, for a few months on and off. It's amazing that you are looking at it too! I found it quite by accident (well -!) and was amazed at the insights regarding 'subtle body' and all that that simple phrase entails...

Satprem is a fascinating person. Originally from Paris, he led a very experiential life, including being incarcerated in a concentration camp during the second WW. He was 'broken in heart and soul' by this experience and sought healing through adventuring around the world. Eventually he found the teachings of Sri Aurobindo, who believed in a 'new evolution, and that "Man is a transitional being". Thus Satprem ended up in India and put himself 'at the service of Mother and Sri Aurobindo", both intensely enlightened persons. Apparently he stayed with Mother for a full 19 years "becoming her confidant and witness and collecting numerous personal conversations" [I am quoting here from the preface to the book]. The book is all about her experiences as a meditative 'body' and her incredible speculations regarding what she experienced. Quite obviously Mother was also an amazing person - intensely conscious, integrated and, in a word, 'sane'. Her legacy for those seeking wisdom from meditation, a very specific kind of meditation, and her thoughts regarding the ultimate importance of 'the body' (dismissed and forgotten by the neoplatonists) to the process of 'enlightenment', 'the mutation of death' in fact, is most profound.

The book I have is #3 in the series called "MOTHER" - the first two volumes are entitled "The Divine Materialism" and "The New Species". It is really unbelievable what Satprem managed to articulate through his books. He really got at the essence of much of what we discuss here on the forum, actually. He says he now lives "withdrawn from all public and literary life to devote himself entirely to trying to implement in his own body and cells the "new way of being on earth" " [my emphasis]. It seems that this man is also dedicated to working within and with the body itself to find ultimate 'liberation' , and given what he confides in his three-part book "MOTHER", it looks as if his practice has much in common with Remo's BCI and the wu wei practice that we here attempt to discuss (Satprems' second novel, b.t.w, was called "By the Body of the Earth" - !)

Kristin

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:49 pm

Post Thanks.
Kristin,
It is good to see your response. Let me say that my research consisted of just looking up in the Wikipedia:) Still, I felt that there was some connection between what I read about "the Mother" and with what we discuss here in the forum. Some interesting details about "The Mother": I think she is part Jewish--this is why I wondered if Jung or Pauli ever saw/heard about her. It seems she was quite famous, and even now too, I guess. She seems to have accepted the designation "the Mother (Goddess)" given to her--I felt it related to Remo's comment about identifying with the Eros Self, like in the second opus of the Hermetic alchemy, like in Roger's small and big spider dream. (It was interesting to see that she lived in France too...and I wondered if Roger knew/heard about her) Although her disciples(?) seems to be arguing about who has got the right translation etc., there exists a community now in India called "Auroville". When I read about it, it sounded very much like a community/village that Remo put in a picture here in the forum once.

Again, thanks

Peace, Sang.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:14 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Thanks.
Sang wrote:
Kristin,
It is good to see your response. Let me say that my research consisted of just looking up in the Wikipedia:) Still, I felt that there was some connection between what I read about "the Mother" and with what we discuss here in the forum. Some interesting details about "The Mother": I think she is part Jewish--this is why I wondered if Jung or Pauli ever saw/heard about her. It seems she was quite famous, and even now too, I guess. She seems to have accepted the designation "the Mother (Goddess)" given to her--I felt it related to Remo's comment about identifying with the Eros Self, like in the second opus of the Hermetic alchemy, like in Roger's small and big spider dream. (It was interesting to see that she lived in France too...and I wondered if Roger knew/heard about her) Although her disciples(?) seems to be arguing about who has got the right translation etc., there exists a community now in India called "Auroville". When I read about it, it sounded very much like a community/village that Remo put in a picture here in the forum once.

Again, thanks

Peace, Sang.

Never heard about her, sorry. But I am something of a monk, so...

Roger

The fate of fire depends on wood; as long as there is wood below, the fire burns above. It is the same in human life; there is in man likewise a fate that lends power to his life. And if he succeeds in assigning the right place to life and to fate, thus bringing the two into harmony, he puts his fate on a firm footing.

I Ching #50

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:18 pm
Profile Personal album

Last edited by Gone on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Post Sri Aurobindo and The Mother
Sri Aurobindo and The Mother are very interesting figures. Aurobindo lived near to Sri Ramana Maharshi in southern India, and whereas Ramana believed non-dual consciousness was the highest accomplishment, Aurobindo thought that this was not enough - we must bring the divine reality into matter. The Mother was not actually Indian - she was born in France of Middle-Eastern descent, and was a great occultist before she ever met Aurobindo.

Here is a link to a journal of hers that might be of interest:-
http://www.kheper.net/topics/Aurobindo/index.htm

It is her 'Notebook on Evolution':-
http://www.kheper.net/topics/Aurobindo/ ... lution.pdf

She insists that the experiences she describes are different to those of occultism. I think that she calls it 'the Descent of the Supramental', or something similar. It is some time since I read it, but the gist is that she sort of surrendered all volition over her body to an inate awareness existing within the cells of her body. This was over many years, and was regarded by many around her as illness. By this time, Sri Aurobindo was dead, although they were still linked strongly. It is a fascinating read.

Their collected works are available as free downloads:-
http://www.sriaurobindoashram.org/index.php
http://www.sriaurobindoashram.org/ashra ... itings.php
http://www.sriaurobindoashram.org/ashra ... /index.php

Aurobindo was educated in England, studying Classics. He was a political activist on behalf of Indian independence in his youth, but gave this up once he discovered his own Indian spiritual tradition.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Last edited by Patrick Booker on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:25 pm

Both Sri Aurobindo and The Mother claimed to have opposed Hitler on an occult level. Aurobindo called World War 2 'The Mother's War', and believed that a Nazi victory would have perverted human evolution in a terrible manner. His followers believe that his life was shortened as a result of these struggles.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Post Aurobindo and The Mother
Hi Jan and Patrick, Ann and I and Betty and Kristin had discussions about them last year on the Ann-Suzanne Blog.

BJW (Betty) Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:36 pm
http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=6882#6882

Suzanne

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:56 pm
Profile Personal album

Thanks for that, Suzanne. I will have a look at this - connects with what has come up now.

Quote:
Suzanne Wrote:

I have a very underlined book by Aurobindo and have thought highly of him in contrast to what I tend to think about most so-called gurus. Also, he gave very clear detailed warnings about the deceptions we may face when exploring into the astral realms. I had been planning on posting about that sometime soon. However, I have some reservations about some of the later teachings of Aurobindo and The Mother. Maybe they went a little too literal about renewed bodies. Maybe not. I am always open to changing my opinions. But of course, they both died, just like everybody else does sooner or later.

Yes - as far as I know neither he nor Ramana Maharshi ever abused their position of trust. Many gurus, Hindu or otherwise, do seem to. Also, from what I have read, some followers really did believe that Aurobindo and The Mother would not die. Not sure what they themselves thought - now that they are both dead, I get the impression that their followers all tend to say that it was others who expected them not to die.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]