UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:11 am

[ 33 posts ] 
Reply to topic
 4 September Dream 

Post 4 September Dream
I had a dream last night where I was in a class room. We were participating in an activity where everyone was given a piece of a circle, and we had to find a person in the class who had the missing piece that connects with our own. It seemed all the boys were matching up with the girls. The thing is, I didn't have a piece of my own. I was just observing the activity.

Then, I recall the teacher mentioning something about September 4th. And suddenly, a student got up and ran to the bathroom like it was some sort of emergency. I had the sense that upon hearing the date, the student felt compelled to go to the bathroom. Another student followed after him, and I suddenly had the urge to go as well.

What this means, I have no idea. Does September 4th resonate with anyone here?

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 pm
Post Re: 4 September Dream
Michael wrote:
I had a dream last night where I was in a class room. We were participating in an activity where everyone was given a piece of a circle, and we had to find a person in the class who had the missing piece that connects with our own. It seemed all the boys were matching up with the girls. The thing is, I didn't have a piece of my own. I was just observing the activity.

Then, I recall the teacher mentioning something about September 4th. And suddenly, a student got up and ran to the bathroom like it was some sort of emergency. I had the sense that upon hearing the date, the student felt compelled to go to the bathroom. Another student followed after him, and I suddenly had the urge to go as well.

What this means, I have no idea. Does September 4th resonate with anyone here?

Hi Michael.

Sept. 4th is your image so you need to make your own associations to it. It's my daughter's birthday as well as Liz Greene's!!

In numerology that would reduce to 13 over 4. In the Tarot cards this stands for "Death" or "The Reaper." But death does not mean the end but transformation of some kind. This karmic number suggests a change consciousness. Thirteen reduces to a four which means one must work on the material plane. There is danger of backsliding into laziness, negativity and inefficiency, It warns against being indifferent, discontented and ill-mannered.There's a reason the unconscious chose this symbol, it seems to me.

A circle a symbol with no beginning and no ending, the uroborus perhaps. So you are out of the circle it would seem. How would this relate to your present life?

Something inside of you has a strong urge to release something, to let go, to clean out. What could that be?

I don't know if any of this helps or not.

Best

Frances.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:08 am

Yes, that does help a lot. I have an interest in numerology but did not know about its association with Tarot. The laziness/negativity thing makes sense, as I am coming off this anti-depressant. Plus I recently quit a job I only kept for a week and haven't been in the mood to do more searching for a new one.

I haven't been in much contact with people, so I was thinking that could be part of the whole 'out of the circle' thing. Another interesting note is that the person sitting next to me took some pieces of paper that should have formed a circle and made it a square--"circle into a square".

I'm not sure what I would need to release other than my own anxieties and seeming dependence on this medication. It's been a struggle to come off--bad withdrawal symptoms. My goal is to not have to rely on any medication, including my asthma meds.

Thanks again for the input, Frances. It's much appreciated.

In Lake'ch,
Michael

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:23 am
Founder

Post 9/4
Michael

As Francis said, you should first associate, especially with the date. Only like this you can find out the personal aspect of this dream.

The collective aspect is surely in the numbers 4 and 9. In French neuf means nine and new, thus it is a symbol of a period in your life, in which something very new would like to begin (but you are yet unconscious about what it exactly is). 9 is the number of mysticism, since it is at the border to the two-digit numbers. The same is true for 99, 999, 9999, etc., the "enhanced world." "Mysticism" means, as much as I understand, abandoning the head and entering the belly (introvertedly).

4 is the symbol of the realization of a new stable world view after the crisis. Thus, together 9/4 means that something completely new is constellated in you, which will lead in a new stable world view.

This transformation has to do with the circle, which is itself #6, the 3/3, the Seal of Solomon. This means, as also the union of the girls and the boys, that in you what I call the "collapse of the inner wave function," the "inner quantum leap" is constellated. I once described it as 6 > 5 > 4. You would have the task to make the circle whole, ie look for wholeness (girls together with boys; coniunctio), but you stay outside.

This is why at the end there is the bathroom. You are in need of a purification. Also this means that in you the unio corporalis is constellated (circle or Seal of Solomon). I guess the purification would mean that you should quit the head.

Perhaps what I wrote about the purification in “Rend the books lest your hearts be rent asunder,” http://www.psychovision.ch/hknw/holy_we ... h_e.htm#41 could help.

I always wonder why you as a young man have this task, since it is mostly the task of the second half of life. Do you think that you are an indigo child? (In the definition Kristin gave once; ask her.) Your UFO experiences seem to show this.

Some decades ago in our country the physicians used the term "vegetative stigmatization" for this "disease" ("vegetative" meaning ruled by the vegetative, ie sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system, and not by the CNS). A very good expression, I think.

Remo

The more loved by the wise.'
(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:43 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the reply, Remo. Interesting interpretation. I am grateful for it.

I, too, wonder why I am going through such 'mature' processes at such a young age. I don't think of myself as above anyone or further along in life. Sometimes I think I will die young, but I really hope this is not the case. I have had my palm read (not my professionals) and they concluded I would die young. I am beginning to think this meant I would die metaphorically. And it's true. I have gone through quite the transformation in the past few years.

I do not quite know how to define an indigo child. I would think everyone would be evolving more spiritually and not just a select few. But maybe I am one of the first to start my transformation at such a young age. It might also have to do with the fact that my mother is a very spiritual woman and is intensely intuitive. But, my dad is the opposite. So, it's funny how much balance I have in my life. I've actually been told by a friend that I have the ideal life. I never really thought about it until she said it, but I agree. I wouldn't want to have lived my life any other way, and I really can't imagine it any other way.

And perhaps because of the fact that I view my life as so ideal, I have a very idealistic philosophy. Maybe this is why I've attracted some phenemona. I have not seen UFO's for a while now, except in my dreams. I think they only appear if they have reason to appear, even if that reason seems mysteriously invisible at the time.

I didn't mean for this post to turn out so long, so I will end it here.

Michael

EDIT:
I feel I should add this:
I've always had a strong sense of purpose in my life, even when I was agnostic/atheist. I've always felt I was put here for a very important reason, and that my purpose was very real. I've never thought twice about it, and that's allowed me to live more child-like and care free. I think this is key, since I believe stress literally kills. I've pretty much avoided stressing myself out, because I know nothing is worth getting stressed out about if you look at the big picture. So, I think living with a strong sense of purpose since I can remember and thus always living life through the eyes of a child have allowed me to accept my journey at an early age. I have never put value into the distractions that plague my day to day life. I deal with them knowing that my purpose is the thing I value most.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:30 am
Founder

I have not seen UFO's for a while now, except in my dreams. I think they only appear if they have reason to appear, even if that reason seems mysteriously invisible at the time.

Michael

This seems to be a good omen. The more the UFOs enter your inside, the more they become an aspect of the psychophysical transformation.

My slogan is: "Observe the UFO in your belly!"

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Founder

I've always had a strong sense of purpose in my life ...

Michael

I have very much empathy for this statement. Already in my teens I had the same feeling. Only today, 45 years after all this I begin to realize what this feeling meant ...

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Founder

I do not know why, but I feel that I should tell you the following: During writing the above post, I felt that I'd like to listen to the second movement of Mozart's "Linz Symphony," (#36, KV 425). It has somehow to do with your state, I feel.

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:57 am
Profile WWW

I just listened to the piece of music you mentioned, Remo. Very beautiful. I will listen to it again while I meditate now.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:44 pm

Actually, Remo, your mentioning of a piece of music reminds me--when I woke up the morning after this dream I turned on my radio and heard the wedding song being played on the classical music station. Reminds me of your 'wedding of the coniunctio'...

Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:32 pm

Post scouting ahead = the indigo way?
Dear Michael

You have been so eloquent in describing your journey in life - thanks alot for your words and especially for your feelings, which you don't hold back. This has got to be so helpful for everyone reading it. I just have to say, first of all: have you looked at your avatar lately? If THAT isn't an Indigo 'child' we see there, I'll eat my hat...

Let it be said that I think this whole emphasis on 'indigo' children is just to say that some people have constellated within them, as Remo attests, a 'new' way of being which points the way for others. It's kindof like an 'early warning' system, only your generation may possibly hold many more 'indigo' types than preceding generations. There are those of us who share this strange 'early individuation/integration' rite that you are living through at present (who also experienced it at a young age), but during our time there was not as much information around to support us in our differences. Even now, of course, it is hard to be 'on the outside looking in'. It feels that way for sure. When you said that in your dream you stood always it seemed on 'the outside' of the circle, I got the distinct feeling that the reason was a little different maybe from what one might think. As Remo says, the Seal of Solomon, the 'coninuctio' model, or the 'coming together of the male and the female within', seems to be constellated within you.

That delicate fusion of male and female attributes is something we all need now. I really feel that you stood on the outside watching the others with their pieces of the circle in your dream BECAUSE you are more of a 'cipher' for this act of integration, more of a 'facilitator' of this act in others, since you have already begun to instinctively integrate the two sides within yourself without needing to be prompted to do so. This would probably be why you have a sense that your life is already 'ideal' and why you instinctively know that you should avoid stress, avoid the 'game of life at any cost' (the way other people still play at living). It is possible that you have only a few things left to reconcile in this life, such as becoming more balanced and finding a peaceful co-existence despite the chaotic way some choose to live their lives around you. This would make you at once a more serious person in general and, conversely, more childlike and 'clear' in another way.

I have a feeling that this is actually 'o.k.', that in your dream you stood on the outside looking in, and the main reason is because I have also felt this way most of my life, and have finally conceded within myself that this is my actual life's role - - to be like a 'bridge', not to act in the usual way - to connect the dots maybe, like a person who is some kind of 'reminder' or glue for other people, not through words really but just because of being here. It's a weird role, and hard to adapt to, since it requires both compassion and a sort of steely reserve (a strange duo!), both being really aware of keeping clear of other peoples psychic neediness ('toxic' auras, poisonnous projections, you name it) yet still being in some sense open to life and feeling abundant about being alive. There is no recognition for this role, of course, but that is hardly the point. Remo and everyone else on the U.M. seems to be in this fated position too. Sometimes it means that we do not take part in the usual life's milestones that others seem to undertake - working toward specific careers which are about material well-being, getting married and having children ( in the usual sense of that model), doing all the usual societally condoned things.

Well, you know what I mean, and you convey it very well. So I guess I'm just saying that I salute your position and think it's great that you are here on the forum, talking about the peculiar nature of 'being alive' and being this kind of person, with this kind of potential, and how that can be navigated for the best interests of all concerned. I would say that you are basically already a person who is NOT 'living in fear' and that you are already finished with this model - that of mere 'survival', whatever way you want to define it - as a way of living your life. 'Living in fear' and feeling fearful from time to time are certainly not the same thing - it takes a very specific person to be able to understand the distinction, and you have succeeded at that test already I would say. And what that really means at base, from my perspective, is - that you are 'free'. Maybe you are even here to 'teach' freedom, what true freedom is, to whoever crosses your path. In that sense, perhaps your role in the dream was like the one who has already experienced (in other lives, if you believe that paradigm, which it seems to me is perfectly valid) the various permutations of normal relationship scenarios between men and women, and you just are ready for a different paradigm now - though that paradigm is actually something that the world in general is not quite ready for yet... and that feels - lonely. But if you have that depth of purpose toward 'the Good', it is really my feeling that you probably already have it 'all', and you are really not a lonely one who is without something, but simply 'alone', one who can BE alone and not afraid, which = liberation, don't you think?

Best,
Kristin
(apologies for length of post everyone...the heart must speak!)

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:39 am

Post synchonicity?
Remo, Michael:

Mozarts' "Linz Symphony" #36, KV 425 adds to : 9/11

Kristin

(ps) Michael: the 'Wedding March' experience seems to support the idea that the coming together of the opposites is definately occuring within you now. B.T.W., over this past year I have often heard this famous piece when I turn on the radio, as so does my sister Lisa - wow - ! (what about anyone else?)

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:57 am

What a great and thoughtful post, Kristin. I think you definitely elucidated a lot for me.

I don't know if you watched my music video, but it's amazing how it came together. I wasn't even sure what song I was going to use for it at the time I was filming it. It was definitely a major synchronicity that the footage seemed to fit the song so seamlessly. I was not originally planning to film myself, but all my friends left that weekend and I had no one to help me with it. So, like everything else in my life, I did it 'alone'. Of course, I credit the great beyond more than myself. I like to think of art as a transitive property of artistic ability--i.e. God created me, I created the art, therefore God created the art (through me).

I agree with what you say about freedom. I have never really thought about it that way before, so thank you for the fresh perspective. It is interesting, because I have always had a sense of independence and liberation without really noticing it. I have my parents to thank for not sheltering me too much but still made sure I stayed safe. The reason I brought up the video was because it is interesting that I made it entirely on my own, and it stars (constellates :wink: ) me, demonstrating my freedom by symbolically venturing into the Self. It's really amazing to me how much meaning I have been able to abstract from something I co-created with the Unus Mundus without even realizing it at the time!

As for the wedding music, I've never heard it on the radio until that morning. At first I thought it was a sign I would soon meet my soul mate (something I've kind of been wishing for, since I've been single for 2.5 years now). Of course, I'm not afraid of being alone. I've always thought that it doesn't seem right to depend on someone else for happiness. So I've promised myself to be happy on my own before I get involved in another serious relationship. And I think the Unus Mundus is helping me achieve my goal, hopefully by timing my meeting with the mysterious one after I have a full sense of happiness in my own Self. This is part of the reason why I think it's time for me to come off my anti-depressants.

Thanks again for the beautiful post, Kristin
Michael

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:19 am

It is heart-warming following this thread. Beautiful posts..

May God bless..
Sang.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:31 am
Founder

Post Re: scouting ahead = the indigo way?
kristin wrote:
I have a feeling that this is actually 'o.k.', that in your dream you stood on the outside looking in, and the main reason is because I have also felt this way most of my life, and have finally conceded within myself that this is my actual life's role - - to be like a 'bridge', not to act in the usual way - to connect the dots maybe, like a person who is some kind of 'reminder' or glue for other people, not through words really but just because of being here.

Kristin, Michael

In fact I thought and felt that my interpretation of this aspect was perhaps "too Jungian." Thus, I was not sure about it. "Too Jungian" means the interpretation that one has to actively enter the circle, otherwise one does not fully live the individuation process.

Now, and already for some time, I see that "staying outside" could mean that one just observes how the circle gets whole itself. Isn't this exactly the difference between Active Imagination and Body-Centered Imagination ?

Yes, Kristin, staying outside means to be an Indigo child, the "child" that observes with the help of the Vegetative Nervous System, the "vegetativly stigmatized" child.

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Founder

Actually, Remo, your mentioning of a piece of music reminds me--when I woke up the morning after this dream I turned on my radio and heard the wedding song being played on the classical music station. Reminds me of your 'wedding of the coniunctio'...

Michael

Seems that we are in a telepathic contact. This is exactly what I try to express with my statement of the "vegetativly stigmatized child."

Yes, it is the Holy Wedding or second coniunctio, the unio corporalis I describe in Chapter 4 of http://www.psychovision.ch/hknw/holy_we ... ntents.htm .

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Founder

Have a look at the newest crop circle:

http://www.lucypringle.co.uk/photos/2006/jul.shtml

9 circles that create 27 quadrangles. Square sum of 27 = 9, thus 9/4 ...

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Last edited by Remo Roth on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:27 pm
Profile WWW

Do you have any thoughts as to how exactly crop circles are made (the ones not by man)?

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:05 pm

Post Crop Circle
I am blown away that such a thing exists and so recently!
What Beauty! I wouldn't even call it a Sychronicity!
Talk about a new Beginning!

Love,

Ryan

-T.S. Eliot: The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:54 pm

All
9 circles that create 27 quadrangles. Square sum of 27 = 9, thus 9/4 ...

Can you explain how you counted 27 quadrangles? And what do you mean by the "square sum of 27"? Sorry, I'm good with numbers :roll: but I'm not quite sure how to interpret this calculation. Thanks.

Michael

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:26 am

Post Pegasus's Body Is A Quadrilateral
In the Pegasus constellation the body is outlined by stars forming a quadrilateral.

The green lines within the dashed yellow border of this diagram shows the traditional way of presenting Pegasus (upside down) – whose body is a quadrilateral formed by the stars alpha, beta, gamma and Sirrah. The wings are not drawn in this representation – the hind feet I believe are the stars Sirrah and delta while the front are beta and eta. The neck is alpha, zeta, phi – the head phi and epsilon. I also show the alternate diagram for the body of Pegasus in red – see below for the full alternate diagram.

Diagram of alternate way to connect the stars in the constellation Pegasus. In this diagram Pegasus is shown to be a winged horse – the wing being a triangle composed of the stars alpha, beta, gamma.
The body of the horse consists of a quadrilateral formed by the stars α , λ, ι, and ξ.

Gregory

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:59 am
Founder

Post "Magic Mathematics"
Michael wrote:
Can you explain how you counted 27 quadrangles? And what do you mean by the "square sum of 27"? Sorry, I'm good with numbers :roll: but I'm not quite sure how to interpret this calculation. Thanks.

Sorry, Michael, the term "square sum" is wrong. In German it is "Quersumme", ie cross sum, checksum. You count all the digits and like this always get a number between 1 and 9. Example: 145 = 10 = 1; 56894 = 32 = 5. The "=" should however be read as "equivalent to." One sees that 9 is the highest possible value, ie the border to the "other world."

The interesting aspect is that the digit 9 does not change anything in this checksum. Thus it is somehow invisibly contained. Eg. 56894 = 5, but also (5)68(4) = 5, and 68(9) = 68 = 14 = 5.

In fact there are 2 x (3 x 9) quadrangles. I only counted the green ones. Like this we have 2 times "9/4", if you interpret the term "quadrangles" as "four."

I was a little fast yesterday. But I was fascinated about the similarity of this crop circle mandala with my "Red and White" mandala above in the header of this UNUS MUNDUS forum.

This is an example how emotions can falsify thinking ... !

Remo

PS: The trouble of all this is what we call symbolic thinking. In it many things are equivalent, which aren't at all for a scientist. This symbolic thinking is what we have to learn anew. I wrote about this in the thread Background Physics, http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic ... ight=#1896 .

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Founder

Post Re: Pegasus's Body Is A Quadrilateral
Gregory

Thanks for this very worthful amplification. We can thus say in a symbolic language:

9/4 = the new quadrilateral = the new Pegasus = the new body = the subtle body (and its macrocosmic complement, the world soul).

All this seems to point to my BCI.

Thus, BCI as the means that leads us into the 21st century?

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:04 am
Profile WWW

Post AI and BCI
Remo,

You said:

Quote:
By not differentiating these two completely different terms -- they are observed and experienced completely different -- Carl Jung was not able to differentiate between Active Imagination and what I call today Body-Centered Imagination. In his work we find therefore contradictory definitions of A.I.

On the one hand he stresses that A.I. is verbal, for example when he tells us in MDR that it was developed out of his experience with Philemon/Elijah (they talked together). On the other hand he shows us, especially in explaining A.I. with examples of his feminine patients, that one can do it also with the help of the sensation function

I don't know if this helps you, but in my learning of this process I began to experience many things.

1. By entering BCI I began to develop a relationship to my body (that which I normally neglect)
2. From this, I began to develop a relationship to my 'outer' body = the world, in a way akin to understanding a 'foreign' language but with out words...I look at the images or 'actions' about me and experience them or try to 'read' them as a conversation.
3. Yet and inner 'Active Imagination' also occured which led me to understand 'the cryptic messages' I was receiving as well (this was very difficult for me, because I experienced these voices as 'persecuting'...yet it helped me accept them and resist them...
4. From this I saw, the images help me in a much more 'gentle' way and don't try to force me to do anything, yet the voices showed me an aspect of myself...which I would say is tied to collective 'opinions'.
5. This in turn led me to see what relationship I have to the 'collective opinions' of those around me.
6. Together I began to develop a flexible relationship to all of these aspects which continues in different ways.

Finally, this process only began to take 'root' because of the necessary introversion and watching silently.

Thank you again,

Ryan

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:05 pm

Post Ohhhh
Alright, now I understand.

I am familiar with adding digits. I actually discovered on my own that anything plus 9 results in whatever is added to 9.

On top of that, in multiplication, anything times 9 will get you 9.

For example, 9x2=18=9, 9x3=27=9, 9x4=36=9, etc.

I know multiplcation isn't used in numerology (or is it?), but I found this interesting especially since it came to me on my own. It's as if the number 9 has some strong allure for me.

Michael

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:27 pm

Just thought of another 4/9 instance... My first UFO sighting was 4/9/04.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:04 am

Post Crop Circle
Not really related to the dream, but check out this new crop circle:

Looks like (12) 3D extrusions (4 different 'lengths', each length having 3 evenly placed around the center) coming out of one spark.

http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2006 ... 2006a.html

Michael

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:34 am
Founder

Post 9/11 crop circle
Of course man-made, since there are so many humans in England who have such an incredible creativity for always finding new, surprising subjects ...

Seems as if the "E.T.s" or "Intraterrestrals" have taken up our "tower topic" (9/11).

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Founder

Post quintessence of 9 x 4
Michael wrote:
Just thought of another 4/9 instance... My first UFO sighting was 4/9/04.

A long time ago I dreamt a dream in which a voice told me:

Quote:
"Remo, you are the quintessence of 9 times 4 (9 x 4)."

Can you imagine that I understood immediately what the meaning of this dream was? :)

Two days ago, on July 10th, 2006 I dreamt that a famous physician and Nobel laureate tells me that with my interpretation of the quintessence [obviously in Pauli's dream of the Seal of Solomon and the quintessence (or square)] I have really found the quintessence of all.

As you perhaps remember, I interpret the quintessence in the above dream of Pauli as the singular (acausal) quantum leap, consciously observable in the BCI (and unconsciously in UFO encounter and abduction).

See

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic ... square#281
http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic ... square#907
http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic ... quare#1680
http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic ... quare#1822

Remo

(C.G. Jung, MDR, p. 253)

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:03 am
Profile WWW

Post Night Vision

I can't imagine what it sees at night. Beautiful Animal. Seems it belongs here.

Ryan

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:09 pm

I just found out September 4, 2006 is Labor Day here in the States.

Quote:
Labor Day is a United States federal holiday that takes place on the first Monday of September. In 2006, Labor Day will be September 4.

The origins of the American Labor Day can be traced back to the Knights of Labor in the United States and a parade organized by them on September 5, 1882 in New York City. They were inspired by an annual labor parade held in Toronto, Canada. In 1884 another parade was held, and the Knights passed resolutions to make this an annual event. Other labor organizations (and there were many), but notably the affiliates of the International Workingmen's Association favored a May 1 holiday. With the event of Chicago's Haymarket riots in early May of 1886, president Grover Cleveland believed that a May 1 holiday could become an opportunity to commemorate the riots. Thus, fearing that it might strengthen the socialist movement, he quickly moved in 1887 to support the position of the Knights of Labor and their date for Labor Day.

Labor Day has been celebrated on the first Monday in September in the United States since the 1880s. The September date has remained unchanged, even though the government was encouraged to adopt May 1 as Labor Day, the date celebrated by the majority of the world. Moving the holiday, in addition to breaking with tradition, could have been viewed as aligning the U.S. labor movements with internationalist sympathies.

Labor Day is generally regarded simply as a day of rest and, unlike May Day, political demonstrations are rare. Forms of celebration include picnics, barbecues, fireworks displays, water activities, and public art events. Families with school-age children take it as the last chance to travel before the end of summer. Some teenagers and young adults view it as the last weekend for parties before returning to school.

One of the largest modern traditions of Labor Day in the United States is the annual telethon of the Muscular Dystrophy Association, hosted by Jerry Lewis to fund research and patient support programs for the various diseases grouped as muscular dystrophy. The telethon raises tens of millions of dollars each year. In 2005, despite the recent catastrophe caused by Hurricane Katrina, nearly $55 million was raised over 21 hours.

Source: Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_day

Michael

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:32 am

Post Happy Labor Day/September 4th

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:28 pm

Post Healing
Michael,

Thanks for the Healing!

Ryan

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]