UNUS MUNDUS

The UNUS MUNDUS forum of Psychovision (Remo F. Roth) invites discussion of theoretical and practical issues of a possible union of Carl Jung's depth psychology with quantum physical principles.
(All posts are the property of their respective authors)
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:13 pm

[ 1119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 33  Next
Reply to topic
 Ann's and Suzanne's experiences' blog 

Well I'm quite bad in painting interpretation, I just wanted to share a link I found about what is claimed to be a late drawing by Leonardo.
You'll see it there (French text) :
http://www.vaisseaudevinci.com/lectures_fr.html
I have no idea about the authenticity, but I found funny to have again there an attempt to find the Seal of Salomon in Leonardo's work, by means of symmetries :

Maybe Suzann you know your name comes from Hebrew shoshan, which was a flower. Some say it was the rose, some say it was the lily, as shoshan might come from the word shesh, meaning '6', and that from this flower comes the original symbol of the Seal of Salomon.
from this English blog Monna Lily;-) :
http://madonna-lily.blogspot.com/2006/05/shoshan.html

Jan I gave here the golden spiral drawn on Vitruvian man in Aronofsky's Pi.
http://blogruz.blogspot.com/2007/10/formath.html
I don't think it's relevant, and actually I don't think the drawing had anything to do with the golden ratio.

I found a strange thing about your Muslim name, Idris-Enoch.
My research involves The white Goddess, by Robert Graves, where something essential is old Welsh poems which are lists of riddles having something to do with a secret alphabet (following Graves).
One is "I was the teacher of Elijah and Enoch", Graves answers Uriel.
Another one is "I sat in an uncomfortable chair", Graves answers Idris, because of Cadair Idris which relates to a giant in Welsh mythology, who doesn't seem to have anything to do with Arab Idris.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadair_Idris

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:16 pm
Profile WWW

Last edited by Gone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:25 am

Post Jan - your post on dream thread about Cross-Cygnus
Hi Jan, I am back home after a few days away related to get-togethers with my friend who has been here in Virginia for over a week from California. She and her husband left for their home this evening. I was checking here a little while ago and was reading your reply to Clarice where you mention the Northern Cross and Cygnus. That topic as it ties into Leonardo's painting of Leda and the Swan and the well known "pointing finger" and the cross, like the androgynous John the Baptist is holding in the pics above here in this thread, is the next one I was going to be posting about. I showed my friend while she was here some images precisely of the Cross-Cygnus Constellation.

I probably will complete some remaining points about the Gnostic-John-Thomas connections before moving on to the Cross-Cygnus significances in another day or two. I have come across material lately that stars in Cygnus apparently line up better with the three pyramids of Giza better than the three stars in Orion's belt. Suzanne

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:12 am
Profile Personal album

Post What is connection between Mona Lisa & Mathurine?
rémi wrote:
Well I'm quite bad in painting interpretation, I just wanted to share a link I found about what is claimed to be a late drawing by Leonardo.
You'll see it there (French text) :
http://www.vaisseaudevinci.com/lectures_fr.html
I have no idea about the authenticity, but I found funny to have again there an attempt to find the Seal of Salomon in Leonardo's work, by means of symmetries :

Maybe Suzann you know your name comes from Hebrew shoshan, which was a flower. Some say it was the rose, some say it was the lily, as shoshan might come from the word shesh, meaning '6', and that from this flower comes the original symbol of the Seal of Salomon.
from this English blog Monna Lily;-) :
http://madonna-lily.blogspot.com/2006/05/shoshan.html

Hi Rémi, My high school French was a very long time ago, so I could not read the pages you linked to. I did use a automatic online French to English translation to try to figure out some of the material. Leonardo had a servant woman who was given a garment in his will. The picture below is supposed to be a drawing (rather than a painting) of Mathurine the servant woman. Is that correct? Is there supposed to be any connection between Mona Lisa & Mathurine?

TRANSLATIONS:

On April 23rd, 1519 Leonard de Vinci sends for the Mr Boreau or Boureau, for royal notary of Ambroise; all this qu ' it has in Cloux the proprièté of its faithful Melzi becomes, but his maidservant tourangelle Mathurine accepts " a clothing of good black sheet trimmed with skins, a head-dress of sheet and ten ducats. "

A store blows, a meeting with a drawings, a magnetic look, interviewer, almost mystical, man or woman? androgyne? maidservant?

Mystery enters picture, picture is significant. Questioning imposes long and patient research. An inquiry of more than ten years between shade and light of the figure.

At the end of his life, L D V didn't paint any more but he used to draw.
This drawing has been realised with 'black stone' on canvas paper.
(of a standard use in the 16th century). [This is a claim, may not be a fact.]

A maidservant, a forename

Observation of the vètement: a morning coat of cloth or black sheet, wrists of skin and a head-dress as a white glory.

A strange group which is going to take unforeseen proportions.

One needed more than 200 years to understand the writing of Leonard de Vinci, which wrote, upside down from the right to the left, so that his writings can be deciphered only with the aid of a mirror:

"My madness of images procreated my love of mirrors (… The mirror became so narrow passage between the visible and the invisible. I had looked in that of my ancestor. It would whisper me a revelation on the the unknown that I felt being (…). Slightly later, I thought that the mirror cheated. It reversed plates as I reverse my writing (..) This memory returned to me after a long time. I reread the Table of Emerald: " What is above is as what is down, what is down is as what is above ". It was for me obviousness, yes, but the other way round (…). It was the education of the ancient alchemists there: in the mirror of art, they assured, is reflected macrocosm, big world the small world of which the microcosm, - the nôtre - is miniature plate '
(Extracts from: Léonard de Vinci, by Renée Paule Guillot, Jacques Grancher's Editions, p. 172 and 173)

Among the ancient symbols of Christ is the six-pointed star, that is to say the double triangle of Salomon's " stamp " and in the symbolism of a hermetic school to which were linked Albert le Grand and saint Thomas of Aquin, the right triangle represents Godhead, and reversed triangle human nature " made just like God " as his image the other way round in the " mirror of Waters ", so that l ' union of both triangles represents that of both natures " Lahut and Nasut in l ' Islamic esotericism ". It is to point out, from the point of view special of hermeticism, that the human ternaire: " spiritus, enlivens, corpus ", is in correspondence with the ternaire of principles alchimiques: " sulphur, quicksilver, salt ".
by René Guénon, " The symbolism of the Crucifix ".

Numerous are those who understood what represented Mathurine. Certainly, a maidservant whose mission was to transmit, to get in a historical, therefore permanent manner, an inheritance, clothes, black topcoat of the very precisely represented maitre.

This inheritance was aimed at keeping the memory of a second inheritance! The hiding, the most dangerous secret in its epoch. The testamentum, that there intended to be transmitted in the humanity.

Rémi, This is interesting. I will have to take time to translate more parts later this week. I have not read anywhere before about this woman. Thanks for posting this. Also, yes, I knew the meaning of my first name. I was born in 1943. I was named after a little girl my father had met in France during World War I. He visited with her family and met her again as an adult woman when he was back in France as a medical officer in World War II.

Suzanne

P.S. Thought to add this comparison of pictures, three from Rémi (1. Leonardo derived Seal, 2. blue seal of Solomon with 3. lily), and the fourth one I had already saved on my computer of Robert Fludd's "as above, so below" illustration of the universe as a mirror image of God.

Image Image Image

Added Wednesday afternoon: Hey, I found an entire English version of the French website -- no need to do piece by piece free auto-translations. As far as I can tell so far, there is no independent evidence that the picture of the woman is by Leonardo or is his servant. The interesting aspect of the claims has to do with the tie-ins to hermeticism. These two little parts were significant: Thousands of pages in his "carnets ", maybe as many drawings, some paintings inside…another work emerges from the shadow, scattered, hidden in the this "Big All" his Great Work... and... Leonardo said : No man is able, except Leonardo of Florence qui built the bronze horse of Duke François and you can't count on him because he has a work to accomplish. A work which will require his entire life. I doubt he will ever finish it, because it is a considerable one.

His Great Work...a treasure.

Website in English: http://www.vaisseaudevinci.com/welcome.html

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:45 am
Profile Personal album

Fortunately I didn't reply immediately.
Well my poor English doesn't allow me to express deep things, and anyhow I can't have an authorized advice about painting. I just know the so-called experts don't like at all claims coming from little people, while these same experts were easily cheated by crooks who followed their rules of authentification.
I was amazed to see with this drawing another attempt to build a Seal of Solomon in a Leonardo's work. If this one is doubtful, the triangle made by the gown is prominent.
It seems to me more sensible than the attempts with Mona Lisa or Vitruvian Man, although there is in this drawing a real equilateral triangle, intended by Leonardo and explained by the text following the drawing. I put it in red below, and it matches a bit the SoS added by someone.
rémi

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:41 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Jan - your posts about Cross-Cygnus
Suzanne wrote:
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:12 am Hi Jan, I am back home after a few days away related to get-togethers with my friend who has been here in Virginia for over a week from California. She and her husband left for their home this evening. I was checking here a little while ago and was reading your reply to Clarice where you mention the Northern Cross and Cygnus. That topic as it ties into Leonardo's painting of Leda and the Swan and the well known "pointing finger" and the cross, like the androgynous John the Baptist is holding in the pics above here in this thread, is the next one I was going to be posting about. I showed my friend while she was here some images precisely of the Cross-Cygnus Constellation.

I probably will complete some remaining points about the Gnostic-John-Thomas connections before moving on to the Cross-Cygnus significances in another day or two. I have come across material lately that stars in Cygnus apparently line up better with the three pyramids of Giza better than the three stars in Orion's belt.
Suzanne

Hi Jan and All, I have let this topic go for awhile because of being busy with other things in everyday life. I am going to add on, to this copy of my earlier post to Jan, more of what Jan directly said over on the another thread about the Cross-Cygnus Constellation. He has given permission for me to do this. It looks like in order for this material to be in context, I am having to move my post over here that Jan was answering at the thread that Bernie began entitled Pantheon Oculous - UFO:

Suzanne Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:07 am
Bernie Quigley wrote:
Struck how closely the Pantheon Oculous in Rome resembles a UFO:

Hi Bernie, We were kind of on this topic some time ago on another thread about the Hadron Collider which is 8 sided.

Then we were mentioning Jefferson's dome (in 8 sided room) on the top of the home at Monticello that looks like this:

And then the eight sided hole in the top of a Sufi dome in Iran:

I ended that post: BEAM US UP, SCOTTY!

My soul self is apparently still such an unrepentant Gnostic-Neo-Platonist that it makes me want to "Go Home" after this life... :wink:

LINK to that thread started by Kristin on May 27, 2008:
"The God Particle" and the LHC
http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=6395#6395

Suzanne

That's the end right above of the 8 sided items in that Sept. 17 post. Now Oct. 7, I am adding here, from an earlier page on this Blog, a recent modern construction derived from Leonardo's notebooks of this 8 sided item:

Jan Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Happy Octopus
Hi Bernie, Suzanne, Rémi, and all,

I was googling Dr. Karel Nespor as the youtube video of his Kuan Yin (the merciful goddess on a dragon) meditation now dissapeared from one of Suzanne's posts after it had previously appeared in different spots on my computer screen (some display error, or who knows). I reread the post and noticed the blank spot. So I googled for Dr. Karel Nespor, and this video of the 'Happy Octopus' appeared. It may seem a little out of line, but I believe this exercise of opening up the body in eight directions in synch with the breathing rhythm does link to the ufo-hadron-collider-dome structures discussed on this thread. The center image could then be related to an experience within the 'centered' body itself, rather than an unreachable extraterrestrial 'beyond' or celestial after life. And then the whole 'beaming up'-experience happens within body without having to be attributed to an alien force. I'm not intending to reduce the whole ufo-phenomenolgy to this body experience. Take it as the hermetic 'as above, so below'. The 'below' should just not be excluded entirely, that's all. At some point we not only understand the symbolic content of the pantheon oculus, but also feel it as a material reality within the body, which then emanates and effects our surroundings ... little by little by little ... growing ... [butterfly effect] ...

Dr. Karel Nespor: Happy Octopus

This exercise and the associated 'beaming-up'-experience could well be realted to making contact with our 'celestial twins' as it is chiefly described in the apocryphical Gospel of Saint Thomas. My feeling is that this is what the figure (John the Baptist / Saint Thomas? -- both have prominent 'fingers' in their legends) points to in Leonardo's last painting (see Suzanne's most recent post and 'Quiz' over at the blog). The finger seems to point past the cross directly into heaven indicating that the outward figure of a savior or an ecclesiastical doctrine of the crucifixion is essensitially superfluous. If there is some truth to this interpretation, of course, Leonardo had to conceal this hidden meaning within the accepted iconography of John the Baptist, in order to avoid being accused of heresy. 'Christification' happens within the individual body, and it doesn't even have to be a particularly menacing or gruesome experience. From the heavenly twin comes the feeling of consanguinity in christ or any other archetypical image of the 'gentle all-loving spirit', which is also found in Islam (believe it or not). An 'eye' (oculus), a subtle 'inner vision' opens up within the body ...

Jan

Suzanne Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 pm

About John the Baptist / Saint Thomas?

Hi Jan, I dropped in here at the forum to post more about the John the Baptist painting by Leonardo. Looks like you are close to an A+ grade on the QUIZ with your guesses here which are more like terrific insights. Besides a great deal of the rest of your post interrelates. Dr. Nespor has provided Bach, Schweitzer, Water Dragon, Kwan Yin, and other synchronicities over the last year and a half. Now it's an Octopus! If you go back to the first or second page of the Ann-Suzanne Blog, you will see Ann bring up the octopus as a healing image which I believe Remo comments on.

I am going to post a few pictures about the John painting tonight. Just a few minutes ago I discovered that a word that had been "given" to me about forty years ago, in regard to one of the meanings of the unusual male-female image, appears now with the aid of Google to also be related to writings of Dante and Blake. The word was "specter" or "spectre" which at the time back then around 1970, I intuited meant something like it was the image of something or other like the spiritual state Leonardo aspired to enter into at death. Well, I should not give too many clues yet without showing some more images and other information to lead up to the various probable meanings.

Bernie brought up the Mandean Gnostic sect in Iraq back in 2007 because of the devastation of their ancient community due to the ongoing war there. They see themselves as faithful followers of John the Baptist rather than Jesus. A picture of an androgynous heavenly being from their scriptures is what I am going to place next to the Leo-John painting over on the Blog. Like you said, during his time, Leonardo had to hide a lot of his (likely) heretical symbolism in order to not wind up getting burned at the stake or some other kind of extremely unpleasant torture and execution.

Hey, can I have your permission to quote most of your post here over to the St. John QUIZ? I can use it as a basis for bringing up the other Gnostic Gospels besides Thomas as well as the tie-ins with Dr. Nespor's videos. I will be away from home tomorrow for another get-together farther down in Virginia with my friend who I first met when we were 12. She reminded me last Sunday that she went with me to the National Gallery of Art here in DC, also about 40 years ago, when the original of one of Leonardo's paintings (not Mona Lisa) was on display. She will be going back to California in a few more days. It is very handy to compare memories with her now about mystical things we discussed back then.

Suzanne

Wednesday October 7, 2009 The original of Leonardo's painting of Leda and Swan (the god Zeus having taken this form to seduce the human woman) has been lost or destroyed. However, some of his students or admirers made copies while the original still existed. Here is one of the copies next to the Swan of the Cygnus (means swan) Constellation. The same Constellation is also considered to contain The Northern Cross. Leonardo's male-female androgynous painting of St. John the Baptist is placed here next with the Cross to the right as it appears when the Swan is turned upside down. Take a look at the pose of the heads of Leda and John as well as the expressions on their faces and the turn of their shoulders and arms. There are some obvious similarities. What do you think might be the significance of this?

Here is a simple picture of the constellation that shows
the main stars that make the Swan head side up and the Cross upside down.

For any newcomers who have not yet read all the posts related to this topic,
you can go back and view all comments and illustrations from the beginning at this link:

Suzanne Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:07 pm

Leonardo - An Alternative Da Vinci Code - One

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=7943#7943

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 am
Profile Personal album

Last edited by Gone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Post Leonardo Da Vinci - Cygnus, Swan, Cross - 2012
Junis wrote:
Hi Suzanne,

thanks for posting. My computer broke down just before I was going to save all the files to an external hard disk. Seems like that was synchronistic. I have limited time and energy to devote to the forum at present, so I won't be able to respond to the Leda-Cygnus-Nothern-Cross theme quite as dilligently as I would like to. But keep us posted. This is very deep and meaningful!

Jan

Hi Jan and All, The pictures here are a repeat of the end of the post Jan was replying to. Last weekend on Saturday Oct. 3, I went to hear Edgar Cayce's grandson, Charles Thomas Cayce speak on the topic, Reincarnation: Is it really necessary? I'd say there were about twenty book titles available during the breaks, maybe thirty, not more than that. Some of the items on the book table were music and meditation CDs, a few DVDs, so there was not a huge selection available. In one of those really targeted synchronicities that are hard to dismiss as mere coincidence, I happened to find two books there of significance... One was really amazing because I have never seen any on the topic except available on the Internet. There was only one single copy of that book instead of a stack of the same title. I got to the event around 8:20 in the morning. My friend Marla, the one I have mentioned first meeting when we were both 12 but not seeing again for some 35 years until recently, had watched, while she was visiting here, a video I have about a breathing exercise to reduce or eliminate asthma problems. She sent an E-mail the day before saying she had ordered a DVD and book online by a different author -- she couldn't remember the name. I wrote back and asked her WHO. She replied 10/3/2009 12:16:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time: "Buteyko Clinic Method 2hr DVD, CD, Manual; the Complete Instruction to Reverse Asthma, Rhinitis and Snoring Permanently" Patrick McKeown; Paperback; $42.85 (from Amazon.com). When I was looking over the books available at the Cayce meeting, much to my amazement, that single book copy I referred to above was about Buteyko... AND... it was by Patrick McKeown. No other copy of it and no other books there about a similar topic. I even asked why only this one... but the person just replied that they did sometimes have health titles. I got it so that my friend and I can be discussing the same material. There was another book that caught my attention. It is called ... The Cygnus Mystery... you can see the book cover at the end of this post. Interestingly to me, the lady, in front of me when paying, also had picked out that book. We wound up sitting next to each other for the rest of the day due to that common interest. OK, here is the repeat of my earlier Leonardo-Swan-Cross-Leda-John pictures. After that is the front cover of the book on Cygnus that I just bought on Oct. 3.

Wednesday October 7, 2009 The original of Leonardo's painting of Leda and Swan (the god Zeus having taken this form to seduce the human woman) has been lost or destroyed. However, some of his students or admirers made copies while the original still existed. Here is one of the copies next to the Swan of the Cygnus (means swan) Constellation. The same Constellation is also considered to contain The Northern Cross. Leonardo's male-female androgynous painting of St. John the Baptist is placed here next with the Cross to the right as it appears when the Swan is turned upside down. Take a look at the pose of the heads of Leda and John as well as the expressions on their faces and the turn of their shoulders and arms. There are some obvious similarities. What do you think might be the significance of this?

Here is a simple picture of the constellation that shows
the main stars that make the Swan head side up and the Cross upside down.

The book I bought Oct. 3 at the Cayce meeting.

I will comment on the connection between all of these images
when I get back home this evening... Oct. 12. Suzanne

For any newcomers who have not yet read all the posts related to this topic,
you can go back and view all comments and illustrations from the beginning at this link:

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:12 pm
Profile Personal album

Post Leonardo, Swan Constellation, Rosicrucians
Hello to All, I did not realize until very recently, I guess less than a month, that an image of the Rosicrucian "Invisible College", that Kristin posted in June on the Crop Circle thread, has a visual reference to the Swan Constellation. I am going to transport quite a bit of my reply to her post over to here now as it has many images going back all the way to when I first started posting at this forum that can be useful for interweaving some of their significances now with the present Leonardo topic.

Suzanne Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:46 am

Synchronities about Crop Circles & New Physics

Hi Kristin, I am selecting some parts of your post to respond to. An interesting synchronicity just happened within the last hour while I was looking up some things to use in replies to Ann and Betty over on the Ann/Suzanne blog. Betty had mentioned Manly P. Hall (who I knew very little about) a few days ago. So, I had looked him up, and as I already mentioned, I was rather astonished to find out he was close friends with my two favorite actors, Bela Lugosi and Lew Ayres. Bela died in 1956 when I was about 13. However, in the early 1980s, Lew Ayres (b. December 28, 1908 – d. December 30, 1996) was actually my pen pal of sorts for a few years, as well as a rather frequent dreamland visitor in a role of spiritual guide/friend. Anyhow, that is a story for another time over on the blog. I may not have paid much attention to Betty's mention of Manly P. Hall if a Google search had not quickly resulted in the connection to Lew Ayres. At the end of my reply here, you will see how my saving a video a few days ago about Hall, then led to my finding a video tonight posted by the same person that shows the Earth's magnetic fields as you pictured below.

kristin wrote:
Hey everyone -- great comments, insights abounding! I figure that any ideas/feelings that come up around these crop manifestations is fodder for this thread. Who knows where we could go? Bernie, like the idea of an institute to 'advance thoughtful speculation' -- think in this regard of Remo's 'profane monastery', a picture of which idea I posted on Ann and Suzannes' blog recently -- comes from a book of alchemic drawings, and includes the Seal of Solomon over the door, as well as another symbolic reference in the form of the crown around the tree trunk..

Kristin, I have been intending to comment on the above image but keep putting it off. Over on the blog, I mentioned an "initiation" episode with Lee quite a few days ago involving the two pyramid/triangle images but did not go into more detail about how the two interpenetrated through the touching points to become a 3D transparent star similar to your 2D image on the chapel. I suppose this kind of image is also called a merkaba -- except my version of this appears to be two 4 sided pyramids... I do not know what that would indicate yet.

This significance for me goes back to one of my early posts on the blog Suzanne Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:45 pm - recent BCI healing images, including these:

Quote:
Sometimes it will take me a few days to stick together some kind of image to illustrate the BCI images. These are from only a few days ago. In the process of these changing images, a connection was being expanded to unite belly and heart.

IMAGE #1

This was a crystal clear pyramid that appeared to be one of the four parts in the circle image I gave above. It began to stand out and then alone from the foursome. Then it began to almost come alive like this:

IMAGE #2

I had to think about what kind of image to snag off the Internet to represent the center growth object. This is what I thought was closest to what I had seen:

It is actually a supernova halo as seen in space.

Now back to the smaller Image 2:

This began to grow and expand and the pyramid become very animated with also an element of rotation at times that I think appeared clockwise.

IMAGE #3

This is an image of an animated Christmas tree. This is astonishingly close to what I saw next. A brilliant dancing display of inner lights with flashing pink orbs being the outstanding feature. The rich pink color seemed very central. When I started looking on the Internet for an image, I found that pink crystal is a symbol of the warming and healing of the heart.

There was a point while experiencing these images that I turned over onto my back with my left hand at the heart level and my right hand at the #2 chakra level. There was a unified electrical current that resulted then and that radiated both ways head to feet and back again.

Remo had comments to make about this seeming process:
http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=5923#5923

Recently Betty asked me if the word I heard (in addition to the lepsi-butterfly one) "cgyni" had anything to do with swans. Yes, indeed, but also Nova Cygni 1992 it turns out was the name of the supernova I used as a picture within the pyramid above without knowing its name at the time I did it. One of these days when I have the time and focus, we will move on to the Constellation Cygnus (Swan) also being called The Northern Cross (Christian symbol), and their relation to Leonardo Da Vinci. It's 6 AM here now, but last evening around 9 I guess, I called and left a message on the answering machine of a man who I will probably be seeing next weekend at a meeting at Swannanoa where Walter and Lao Russell (who Ann and I often mention) had lived. For some reason, I just spontaneously used your term here "Invisible College" to describe to him those Beyond who may be communicating in interrelated ways with some of us. Back on April 4, on the blog I described figuring out who an "Oliver Crane" might be when Lee seemed to convey that name to me about 4 to 6 months before that, meaning sometime last Fall 2008. I made a little joke to Ann in this way at the end here after finding out his identity:
Quote:

Oliver Crane 1936-1992

Hmm, perhaps he is now hanging out with Walter Russell and certain other deceased "eccentric" scientists over in The Beyond which is why Lee would be acquainted with him.

One of the items I posted about Crane then was entitled "The Principle of Resonance and Oliver Crane's Physics". In reading the list of speakers at the gathering at Swannanoa this coming weekend, it turns out the keynote speaker is someone named Nassim Haramein from http://theresonanceproject.org. Look up both of the names at the same time, and this is what you get:

Rupert Sheldrake
Oliver Crane demonstrates the importance of a “breathing” movement in these spherical ..... Nassim Haramein put this out in his "Beyond the Event Horizon" ...
http://www.freedomcrowsnest.org/forum/v ... c611bbe16f - Cached - Similar pages]

Obviously, something is going on here! Oh, by the way, Kristin, Your picture of the Invisible College actually has this name (related to Lee's esoteric background) listed in its Properties: 16_invisible_college_of_rosicrucians_1.jpg

Quote:
Kristin said: In the end however I guess the concretization of such sensibilities as we are talking about here wouldn't serve us, as the ideal that finds 3D form eventually dissolves into hierarchical fixity, as opposed to remaining in free flow --- hence perhaps the sensibility of the Invisible College, as depicted here,

Guess the wedding of chaos and form was never too easy! Tibetan madalas are based on the same precept, that idea of containing the 'outer' in the 'inner', using symbols, with an aim to integration.

O.K., I've a couple of diagrams here re. the Jellyfish crop formation that I wanted to share here:

On the right we do note that the shape of earths magnetic field apparently changes to ressemble -- a jellyfish! -- when buffeted by severe solar storms.

Kristin, I was looking up just a while ago the video I had saved about Manly P. Hall last week or so, which I am posting here now. Then I decided to take a look at what kind of other videos the person had also posted about other topics. Synchronicity again bigtime!

http://www2.nict.go.jp/y/y223/simulatio ... /home.html

Kristin continued: Oh, and thanks for those excellent Moody Blues lyrics, Suzanne -- the idea of the Lost Chord seems spot on to our discussion here... that vibrational change we are presently surfing seems wrapped up in the 'vibrational' appearance of these formations for sure.

Ann, the repeat of the " 7 " does seem most significant. Vast. I am fascinated! Keep us posted to the number-wisdom, eh, and I'll keep a lookout for connective clues in my travels.

Yeah, Bernie --- great speculation re. logos/eros above --- what we need is "an institute, BUT A TEMPLE", as you say --- and the Temple is always on the Inside, which is what the cave signified in that last "LOST" episode of the season no doubt. That John Locke went down there, says to me that Logos 'knows' the truth of the 'inner', and when it once again weds (surrenders to) that sensibility (ie. leaves the personal pride aspect behind), that is where we will find the Next World -- one rung up (as down IS up!) the loop to begin again, at the crystalline place of Shamballa...

and the word is OM, and it IS Good!
Kristin

Suzanne

I am still working on this post at 2 PM EST Thursday, October 15... The above is background for the newer material that will show up on this blog over the next few days. First here is a repeat of the large book cover image used above in another post a few days ago. Right under that is an enlargement of the Rosicrucian "Invisible College" image that Kristin provided in her June post just quoted from.

See the Cygnus Constellation on the right in this image below.

IMAGE SOURCE: The Alchemy web site on Levity.com

Over 150 megabytes online of information on alchemy in all its facets. Divided into over 2400 sections and providing tens of thousands of pages of text, over 2500 images, over 240 complete alchemical texts, extensive bibliographical material on the printed books and manuscripts, numerous articles, introductory and general reference material on alchemy.

This site is organised by Adam McLean, the well known authority on alchemical texts and symbolism, author and publisher of over 50 books on alchemical and Hermetic ideas.

Alchemy is a complex subject with many different interconnected aspects. Many people still only think of the quest of the philosophers' stone to change base metals into gold. On this web site you will be able to explore the riches of alchemical texts, some of which are wonderful works of allegorical literature, delve into its amazing, beautiful and enigmatic symbolism, and ponder its underlying hermetic philosophy, which holds a picture of the interconnection of the Macrocosm and Microcosm.

Please visit Adam McLean's excellent resource site for more information. Beautiful colored restorations of various historical alchemical-related images are available for sale.

LINK: http://www.levity.com/alchemy/

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:01 pm
Profile Personal album

Last edited by Gone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Post Re: 'Becoming' a swan & Leonardo Da Vinci
Junis wrote:
Hi Suzanne,

I'm sure, you've seen this one on the alchemy website:

Karena Karras: "The Bath"

Interview with Karena Karras

Jan

Hi Jan, Thank you for this wonderful contemporary inner alchemy symbol in the form of 'Becoming' a swan. It's 10:30 PM my time here in Virginia. I just finished watching at 10 a TV program where Dan Brown (of Da Vinci Code fame) is interviewed about his new book The Lost Symbol. I have not read any of his books on purpose because I have had my own esoteric notions for about 40 years about the hidden meanings in Leonardo's paintings. I have been getting ready to post a lot of stuff tying together various sources to illustrate all this. Currently, I have my old friend Marla, who I had not seen for 35 years until last month in mid-September, to E-mail about many of these past things that she knew about when they happened. I am going to paste in here one of those E-mails that I sent to her on 10/2/2009 1:08:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time.

First, I absolutely want to stress that I do NOT necessarily think that my "One and Only" Lee and I were Leonardo and Mona Lisa. Ann and I discussed such an issue somewhere earlier on this Blog about how seeming reincarnation memories can instead be a matter of our inwardly relating to historical archetypes that personify our own psychological and spiritual aspects both positive and negative. Well, I am rather awkwardly trying to describe what I mean. It'll do for now. The only point I intend in what follows is that notions that Leonardo was a secret gnostic-like heretic of some kind is not new with the Da Vinci Code book.

E-Mail on October 2 to Marla who also met Lee in person 50 years ago when I did:

Something mysterious is happening again. Yesterday, I was at my daughter's. I was doing a kind of combination of the very shallow relaxed breath exercise and communing with Lee at the same time. Then he seemed to be encouraging me to just get up off my behind and go downstairs and use the elliptical exercise machine I have not been near for many weeks. So I did. I could only do a little over a minute which is however 30 seconds longer than what I could do the last time I tried. Then I got a notion to walk over to the opposite end of the two enjoined rooms down there and see what changes (my daughter - instead of her name) has been making there. She had up two bookshelves that have not been there before -- since she got rid of a lot of other stuff at a yard sale last weekend. I walked over to see what kind of books were there. Some are ones from my parents' library that (my daughter) has had for some years since I had no place to put them. There were a few rather small ones stacked on each other where the titles could not be seen. From that stack of maybe four, I wound up extracting one that had the front cover with it but broken off. It is called The Romance of Leonardo Da Vinci. The book in Russian goes back to around 1900. This specific translation into English is from the 1920s. I opened it at random and was stunned. Leo and Lisa are described as if gazing into one another eyes like into mirrors that provide reflections into infinity. (This is like my dream notion at 17 of having to find Lee again in a Hall of Mirrors.) I do not think I have read this book before even if it was in our home back when I was a teenager. I do not think it is possible I might have read it before I first met Lee when I was 14. It is the story of our swimming around in one another's eyes. I left the book there but looked up about it here at home on the Internet. Ohhhh, there is a (very significant thing about a location that I have to delete for the forum), and they are like unspoken soul mates, and there is all of this ethereal lovey-dovey but no carnal involvement. It is fictional but also very definitely an esoteric text designed to speculate about Leonardo's involvement in Hermetic thinking long before The Da Vinci Code came along a century later than that book.

It does not take long on the Internet to find out the Egyptian and Gnostic Mysteries and then Rosicrucian significance of what the Russian author was implying. In the passage below, Giovanni is an apprentice of Leonardo's. The young woman Cassandro who is his friend is burned at the stake by the Catholic Inquisition for the beliefs expressed in this passage below:

The Holy Inquisition— 1506-15 page 297

Two days before their setting forth, Giovanni
was with Cassandra in her lonely room of the Palazzo
Carmagnole. The sunshine, veiled by the
thick cypress branches, was scarce brighter than
moonlight; the girl seemed even fairer and calmer
than was her wont. Now that parting was at
hand, Giovanni realised how dear she was to him.
''Shall I not see you yet once more?" he asked
her. ''Will you not reveal to me that mystery of
which you have spoken?"

Cassandra looked fixedly at him; then drew from
a casket a flat four-cornered stone of transparent
green. It was the famous "Tabula Smaragdina"
the emerald tablet said to have been found in a
cave near Memphis in the hands of the mummy of
a certain priest, who was an incarnation of Hermes
Trismegistus, the Egyptian Horus, the god of
boundaries, the guide of the dead to the underworld.
It was engraved both in Coptic and in
Greek with these verses:

"O'jpavoc 5v(o O'jpavo? xaTW,
'AjTEpa avw aaxepa xccto),
Ilav avo) xav touto xaTW.
Tauxa Xape xat euTu/s."
(Heaven above, heaven below;
Stars above, stars below;
All that is over, under shall show.
Happy thou who the riddle readest.)

"Come to me this night,"
she said gravely and
softly, "and I will tell you all that I know myself— END OF PAGE

Marla, Just shortly before reading your E-mail, I did a search directly from the selection above -- "Tabula Smaragdina" -- and the VERY FIRST result at Google was this:

Results 1 - 10 of about 33,200 for "Tabula Smaragdina ". (0.37 seconds)

Search Results
Secret Symbols of the Rosicrucians - TABULA SMARAGDINA HERMETIS
Tabula Smaragdina Hermetis - (Book One, 12th diagram) - On the "Interpretation and Explanation of the Tabula Smaragdina · Hermetis" text - (Book One, ...
http://www.crcsite.org/Tabula.htm - Cached - Similar

Emerald Tablet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Emerald Tablet, also known as Smaragdine Table, Tabula Smaragdina, .... Comments on the 13 sentences of Tabula Smaragdina and Introductions to Alchemy ...

The tablet text - Textual history - Influence - References
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Tablet - Cached - Similar

The Tabula Smaragdina Revisited
May 31, 2003 ... The fabled Tabula Smaragdina (the Emerald Table), is a document that influenced alchemical thought for generations. ...
http://www.istanbul-yes-istanbul.co.uk/ ... Spaper.htm - Similar

-------------------------------------------

P.S. Hmmm, I just discovered now at 12:42 AM Oct. 17 that this post above relates to Carl Jung and the recent post here at the forum on another thread about the recent publication for the first time of Jung's Red Book. I fixed the wiki link above to make it work and then took a look there to read more. Hey, look what was mentioned:

C.G. Jung identified "The Emerald Tablet" with a table made of green stone which he encountered in the first of a set of his dreams and visions beginning at the end of 1912, and climaxing in his writing Seven Sermons to the Dead in 1916.

OK, next, if you click on the link to more about the Seven Sermons, you get this:

Seven Sermons to the Dead (Latin: Septem Sermones ad Mortuos) was written in 1916 by the Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung and ascribed to the gnostic teacher Basilides. Somewhat in the style of the Red Book, yet more unified, the booklet was printed privately for Jung's friends but not widely available until it appeared as an appendix in his autobiography Memories, Dreams, Reflections in 1961[1]. The text speaks cryptically about the Pleroma, the Abraxas and the soul; therein, Jung also discusses his principle of Individuality and warns of the mystical tendency to 'unite' with God, which he interprets as a dangerous psychological desire to identify with the unconscious.

“That is one of the great difficulties in experiencing the unconscious—that one identifies with it and becomes a fool. You must not identify with the unconscious; you must keep outside, detached, and observe objectively what happens.... it is exceedingly difficult to accept such a thing, because we are so imbued with the fact that our unconscious is our own—my unconscious, his unconscious, her unconscious—and our prejudice is so strong that we have the greatest trouble disidentifying.”

—Jung, C. G. (1996), The Psychology of Kundalini Yoga: Notes of the Seminar Given in 1922 by C. G. Jung, Sonu Shamdasani (Ed.). Bollingen Series XCIX. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.[2]

The text was written by Jung in a time of difficulty around his break with Freud, which stemmed primarily from their differing concepts of the unconscious.

A commentary upon the work was written by the gnostic bishop Stephan A. Hoeller[3]. When bishop Hoeller inquired with the editor of The Red Book, Sonu Shamdasani, in mid 2009 about the relationship of the two books, Shamdasani said that the Seven Sermons was like an island, but the Red Book is like a vast continent.[4]

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sermons_to_the_Dead

Suzanne

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:58 am
Profile Personal album

Post Addition to the last post on Leonardo and Gnostics
LINK to review it: http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=8075#8075

Hi Everyone, this is a reply by E-mail, to the last post above, from my old friend Marla (we first met when we were 12, over 50 years ago) that she gave me permission to paste in here. Then there is a short video with Stephan Hoeller, a contemporary Gnostic scholar, which I would say is pretty close to my own current viewpoint.

In a message dated 10/18/2009 11:58:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Marla writes:

Well…first of all, I find I must disagree with Jung: “Seven Sermons to the Dead (Latin: Septem Sermones ad Mortuos) was written in 1916 by the Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung and ascribed to the gnostic teacher Basilides. Somewhat in the style of the Red Book, yet more unified, the booklet was printed privately for Jung's friends but not widely available until it appeared as an appendix in his autobiography Memories, Dreams, Reflections in 1961[1]. The text speaks cryptically about the Pleroma, the Abraxas and the soul; therein, Jung also discusses his principle of Individuality and warns of the mystical tendency to 'unite' with God, which he interprets as a dangerous psychological desire to identify with the unconscious.

[Quote from Jung] 'That is one of the great difficulties in experiencing the unconscious—that one identifies with it and becomes a fool. You must not identify with the unconscious; you must keep outside, detached, and observe objectively what happens.... it is exceedingly difficult to accept such a thing, because we are so imbued with the fact that our unconscious is our own—my unconscious, his unconscious, her unconscious—and our prejudice is so strong that we have the greatest trouble disidentifying.'”

Marla continues:

In my present experience, uniting with that which we call God is not mystical, it is our natural state. It is also not in the realm of identifying with the unconscious (what would be the point?), but consciously seeing ourselves as one with Source. There is the greatest possibility that being a fool in today’s world is to be highly desired, if being a fool means being in the moment, being open to all possibilities and being willing to set off without a destination in mind (keeping in mind that it’s the journey that matters)! Lastly, we now understand that one cannot ‘keep outside, detached and observe objectively…’, because whatever we observe we are part of and interconnected with (entanglement on the microcosmic level). END

Quotations from Stephan Hoeller in the video below: "Gnosis: Knowing of the True Divine... If even a small number of people address themselves inside fully, wisely, tolerantly to that necessity, a great deal can change for the better. Valentinus the great Gnostic said that if only one person achieves real Gnosis, the flaw in the universe, the crack in the fabric of the world is thereby to a considerable extent mended."

by Stephan A. Hoeller

Gospel of Thomas: When you make the two one...

... The bridal chamber, or pneumatic union, is by far the most frequently alluded to of the greater sacraments. The Gospel of Philip makes constant references to it and statements concerning it are scattered in a large number of the Gnostic scriptures. Irenaeus associates this sacrament primarily with the followers of Valentinus, but the theoretical foundations serving as its psychological rationale are present in the corpus of Gnostic writings generally. Thus the Gospel According to Thomas, which is generally considered to be relatively free of Valentinian influences, presents us with what might be considered the clearest formulation of the theoretical foundation of the bridal chamber in its 22nd Logion:

When you make the two one, and when you make the inner as the outer and the outer as the inner and the above as the below, and when you make the male and the female into a single one, so that the male will not be male and the female not be female . . . then shall you enter the kingdom.

The psychological basis upon which the bridal chamber ritual is founded is fairly easily understood. The Gnosis considers the human being as divided and fragmented within itself. The divisions have numerous aspects: We are involved in what modern psychology would call an Ego-Self dichotomy, in an Anima-Animus dichotomy, in a body-mind dichotomy, in a subjective-objective dichotomy, and many others. All of these divisions require mending, or healing. Even as the Pleroma, or divine plenum, is characterized by wholeness, so the human being must once again become whole and thereby acquire the qualifications to reenter the Pleroma. Contemporary, especially Jungian depth psychology envisions such a pneumatic union as the ultimate objective of what it calls the individuation process. Unlike Jungian psychologists who can offer only the practice of analysis as an instrumentality of the process of reunification, Valentinus was apparently inspired to document and ritually dramatize this union in the great sacrament of the bridal chamber. The Sophia myth serves in many ways as the mythological support of this sacrament. The myth implies that the creation of the imperfect world and the confinement of the soul within it originated through the disruption of the original spiritual unity of the Pleroma, so that the return of the soul into the loving embrace of her bridegroom, as indicated by the return of Sophia into the arms of Jesus, then represents the healing of this disruption and restoration of wholeness.

The sacrament of the bridal chamber more than any other feature of the Valentinian Gnosis gives us a clear indication of the psychological versus the theological character of Gnostic teaching and practice. The professed purpose of this rite is the individual and personal 'becoming one' of the soul of the initiate, and cosmic and eschatological considerations play no role in this. It is not abstract being or creation that is healed and unified in this sacrament but the interior being of a human individual. It might be fair to say that Valentinus practiced an individuation rite, the need for which in today's world is evidenced by the highest and best of psychological research. It is perhaps characteristic of the sad deterioration of the sacramental system in historic Christianity that this intrapsychic union has been allowed to devolve into the sacrament of matrimony, signifying a contractual relationship of two terrestrial personalities within the context of the flawed order of societal mores.

However, it is not sufficient to be unified in one's nature - so Valentinus implied - one must also be redeemed from the corrupting and confusing thralldom of the false existential world wherein one lives. This liberation from the clutches of the world of defect was accomplished by the sacrament of redemption (apolytrosis) sometimes also called restoration (apokatastasis). This might be called the final act of separation from the rule of illusory and deceptive states of mind. While it is by no means established whether the sacrament of the bridal chamber was administered first and the redemption later, it is the conviction of the present writer that this indeed was the case. The individual in whom the dualities have been united and the splits healed (the individuated person, as Jung might have called him or her) is now empowered to repudiate the forces bereft of illuminating meaning. This is well-expressed in one of the formulae of restoration preserved from Valentinian source:

I am established, I am redeemed and I redeem my soul from this aeon and from all that comes from it, in the name of IAO, who redeemed his soul unto the redemption in Christ, the living one. (Irenaeus, Adv. Haer. I. 21,5)

LINK to this entire wonderful article: http://www.gnosis.org/valentinus.htm

Suzanne

P.S. Quotations from The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci:

* The lover is moved by the beloved object as the senses are by sensual objects; and they unite and become one and the same thing. The work is the first thing born of this union; if the thing loved is base the lover becomes base.

* When the thing taken into union is perfectly adapted to that which receives it, the result is delight and pleasure and satisfaction.

* When that which loves is united to the thing beloved it can rest there; when the burden is laid down it finds rest there.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:48 pm
Profile Personal album

Post Leonardo's Notebooks & Infinity of Mirror Images - One

Leonardo da Vinci's notebook: Studies of reflections from concave mirrors.
Italy, probably Florence, from 1508 - British Library Arundel MS 263, f.86v-87

Description from The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci
Leonardo wrote this below.

PERSPECTIVE.

The air is filled with endless images of the objects distributed in it; and all are represented in all, and all in one, and all in each, whence it happens that if two mirrors are placed in such a manner as to face each other exactly, the first will be reflected in the second and the second in the first. The first being reflected in the second takes to it the image of itself with all the images represented in it, among which is the image of the second mirror, and so, image within image, they go on to infinity in such a manner as that each mirror has within it a mirror, each smaller than the last and one inside the other. Thus, by this example, it is clearly proved that every object sends its image to every spot whence the object itself can be seen; and the converse: That the same object may receive in itself all the images of the objects that are in front of it. Hence the eye transmits through the atmosphere its own image to all the objects that are in front of it and receives them into itself, that is to say on its surface, whence they are taken in by the common sense, which considers them and if they are pleasing commits them to the memory. Whence I am of opinion: That the invisible images in the eyes are produced towards the object, as the image of the object to the eye. That the images of the objects must be disseminated through the air. An instance may be seen in several mirrors placed in a circle, which will reflect each other endlessly. When one has reached the other it is returned to the object that produced it, and thence—being diminished—it is returned again to the object and then comes back once more, and this happens endlessly. If you put a light between two flat mirrors with a distance of 1 braccio between them you will see in each of them an infinite number of lights, one smaller than another, to the last. If at night you put a light between the walls of a room, all the parts of that wall will be tinted with the image of that light. And they will receive the light and the light will fall on them, mutually, that is to say, when there is no obstacle to interrupt the transmission of the images. This same example is seen in a greater degree in the distribution of the solar rays which all together, and each by itself, convey to the object the image of the body which causes it. That each body by itself alone fills with its images the atmosphere around it, and that the same air is able, at the same time, to receive the images of the endless other objects which are in it, this is clearly proved by these examples. And every object is everywhere visible in the whole of the atmosphere, and the whole in every smallest part of it; and all the objects in the whole, and all in each smallest part; each in all and all in every part.

Taken from The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci edited by Jean Paul Richter, 1880.

SOURCE: http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Richter-Not ... em-65.html

-----------------------------------------

Inside the Chamber of Mirrors - A Modern Reconstruction

Leonardo wrote: "... image within image, they go on to infinity
in such a manner as that each mirror has within it a mirror,
each smaller than the last and one inside the other..."

A work of modern art at the Tate modern, London.
Interactive, fun, and it gets you thinking and conversing.
What more could you ask for from a work of art?

Chris Valentine's music video interpretation
of possible meanings threading Leonardo da Vinci's
sketches and paintings. Titled Anima Sol.
Music by Reflection Theory

Category: Entertainment

Tags:
leonardo da vinci chris valentine brickler mona lisa
sacred feminine code meaning sketches paintings
louvre war male female jesus mary magdeline

Suzanne

For newcomers, or to review all here on the Ann-Suzanne Blog
about Leonardo, use this quick link:

Leonardo's Notebooks & Infinity of Mirror Images - Two-- will be the next post

Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:38 pm
Profile Personal album

Post Leonardo's Notebooks & Infinity of Mirror Images - Two
Hi All, Just started working on this post at 4 AM (my time) Monday the 16th. This will take me awhile, probably a day or two. Check back later to see whatever new items have been added to it. Suzanne

NOTE: I ended this post around 7 AM Tuesday the 17th.

Leonardo Da Vinci: April 15, 1452 – May 2, 1519

Self-portrait in red chalk, circa 1512 to 1515.

Royal Library of Turin

We are exploring here together the possibility (more like a very likely probability) that Leonardo Da Vinci may have had some metaphysical ideas (scientific and/or mystic stuff) that would have been considered by the Catholic Church of his time to be heresy. Accused heretics in those days could be arrested, tortured into confessions, and executed by such a very unpleasant manner as being burned alive at the stake. If Leonardo did have any kind of secret codes in his paintings, he was taking a grave risk of being made to endure horrific suffering for daring to do it. As seen in the illustration below, the execution of religious heretics by burning was at its most fanatic and effective heights during his lifetime.

Frequency of the Burnings of Heretics
Burning of heretics was most frequent during the 16th Century
(1500 to 1599) and ceased with the advent of the Enlightenment.

http://www.visualstatistics.net/East-We ... Trials.htm

Perhaps Leonardo might have been willing to die a horrible death, after horrific tortures as well, for the sake of expressing something hidden in his paintings about the possibility that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had a child. That would be certainly of some interest to us all, but let's give Leonardo credit for probably having a more profound motive than that. Here are a couple of brief items from Wiki about the influences upon Leonardo that may provide us with some vital clues:

Florence — Leonardo's artistic and social background

Leonardo commenced his apprenticeship with Verrocchio in 1466, the year that Verrocchio's master, the great sculptor Donatello, died. The painter Uccello whose early experiments with perspective were to influence the development of landscape painting, was a very old man. The painters Piero della Francesca and Fra Filippo Lippi, sculptor Luca della Robbia, and architect and writer Alberti were in their sixties. The successful artists of the next generation were Leonardo's teacher Verrocchio, Antonio Pollaiuolo and the portrait sculptor, Mino da Fiesole whose lifelike busts give the most reliable likenesses of Lorenzo Medici's father Piero and uncle Giovanni.....

.....With Alberti, Leonardo visited the home of the Medici and through them came to know the older Humanist philosophers of whom Marsiglio Ficino, proponent of Neo Platonism, Cristoforo Landino, writer of commentaries on Classical writings, and John Argyropoulos, teacher of Greek and translator of Aristotle were foremost. Also associated with the Academy of the Medici was Leonardo's contemporary, the brilliant young poet and philosopher Pico della Mirandola.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci

Leon Battista Alberti (February 18, 1404 – April 20, 1472) and Pico della Mirandola (February 24, 1463 – November 17, 1494) are two key figures in the Renaissance period whose life work can provide us with needed background for understanding Leonardo better as well. To get acquainted with these two men, take a read about each of them at Wiki:

Quote: Jacob Burckhardt portrayed Alberti in The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy as a truly universal genius. "And Leonardo da Vinci was to Alberti as the finisher to the beginner, as the master to the dilettante. Would only that Vasari's work were here supplemented by a description like that of Alberti! The colossal outlines of Leonardo's nature can never be more than dimly and distantly conceived."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Battista_Alberti

Quote: Pico spent several months in Perugia and nearby Fratta, recovering from his injuries. It was there, as he wrote to Ficino, that "divine Providence […] caused certain books to fall into my hands. They are Chaldean books […] of Esdras, of Zoroaster and of Melchior, oracles of the magi, which contain a brief and dry interpretation of Chaldean philosophy, but full of mystery." It was also in Perugia that Pico was introduced to the mystical Hebrew Kabbalah, which fascinated him, as did the late Classical Hermetic writers, such as Hermes Trismegistus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_P ... _Mirandola

Added 1:15 PM Monday the 15th: An earlier post here above on Leonardo had reference to his very probable awareness of the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus.

Re: 'Becoming' a swan & Leonardo Da Vinci

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=8075#8075

At the time, I did a Google search on that topic, and here was the top result:

Search Results
Secret Symbols of the Rosicrucians - TABULA SMARAGDINA HERMETIS
Tabula Smaragdina Hermetis - (Book One, 12th diagram) - On the "Interpretation and Explanation of the Tabula Smaragdina · Hermetis" text - (Book One, ...
http://www.crcsite.org/Tabula.htm - Cached - Similar

Quote from the Rosicrucian website: Article written by by Jack Courtis

The source of the Emerald Tablet is unknown, but the attribution of the astrological/alchemical body functions, is the Sefer Yetzirah. The Disciplines come from Christian tradition and their use is universal. The three paths of alchemist, magus and astrologer, are woven together, because each of us functions in a three-fold manner, through our three vehicles of consciousness. How do we know that we each have as vehicles of consciousness, a body, a soul and a spirit? This is partly explained by the apostle Paul in I Thessalonians 5:23. However if we have vehicles, what is the consciousness? What is the "I"? The Gnostics call it the divine spark. This is our true identity but we do not realise it in full awareness. It is this lack of knowledge of our true nature, which leads us to live as we do, driven by ignorance, fear and desire; the generators of karma.

However if we follow a disciplined path of intellectual, emotional, moral and spiritual development, we shall change so profoundly, that we shall be completely transformed. This process of self-transformation is called the Great Work. It has four stages that correlate with the four alchemical elements in their macrocosmic form and the four levels of reality of kabala. Here are the stages of the Great Work.

* First stage: 12 Disciplines
* Second stage: 7 Reconciliations of the Pairs of Opposites.
* Third stage: 3 Orientations to God.
* Fourth stage: Unity with God.

The above diagram is the best explanation of the Emerald Tablet of Hermes because it stimulates right brain responses. It arouses intuition, imagination and insight. Any verbal explanation is inadequate, but it gives us a starting point. Let us look at the diagram carefully. Around the outside there is a Latin saying. What does it mean? Centuries ago, a student asked his master, Basilius Valentinus, "What is the secret of alchemy?" The master replied, "In VITRIOL is the answer." Observe:

Visita Visit
Interiora the interior
Terrae of the earth;
Rectificando in rectifying,
Invenies discover
Occultum the hidden
Lapidem stone.

What does all that mean? First let us note that there are 7 Latin words in the statement. In alchemy, the Below, there are 7 metals. In astrology, the Above, there are 7 planets. In each of us there are 7 chakras. Taken together, they point to 7 levels of action internalised by us. Secondly, the "stone" is a reference to the Stone of the Philosophers. But beware, this is not the same as the Philosophers' Stone. The rectification is what changes the one into the other. Thirdly, the centre of the earth is a reference to our own being. We must rectify something that is utterly fundamental to our true nature. That should give us a starting point for meditation and visualisation.

http://www.crcsite.org/Tabula.htm

More later about Leon Battista Alberti work on optics that fits in with Leonardo's later development of perspective in his paintings... and finally to this post's topic of an Infinity of Mirror Images.

FINAL NOTE for this post: The Alberti material became very interesting, and also there are some illustrations he gave which can be compared to Leonardo's. The BIG BIG significance is however that Alberti got a lot of his information from the available works of an Islamic scholar Alhazen (Ibn al-Haytham, d. ca. 1041) who has been called the "first true scientist". I am going to end this specific post now at 7:10 AM and begin a new one later today Tuesday the 17th.

Next Post: Leonardo's Notebooks & Infinity of Mirror Images - Three

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:13 am
Profile Personal album

Post Leonardo's Notebooks & Infinity of Mirror Images - Three
Hi to all Leonardo fans following these series of posts on his probable connections to Gnostic, Neo-Platonist, and Hermetic heresies. This is of course a continuation of the previous two posts. The starting material here is about Leon Baptista Alberti (February 18, 1404 – April 20, 1472) and Pico della Mirandello (February 24, 1463 – November 17, 1494). Understanding more about these two men will help us understand Leonardo a lot better. His super genius did not just come flying in out of nowhere. A substantial part of his tremendous diversity of talents can perhaps be termed mysterious and only once in a thousand or more years likely to happen in one person, but... he did have sources of inspiration and information from many others before him as well as some contemporaries he knew in person. So, here are the two I have chosen to represent many others.

Leone Battista Alberti (artist)
Italian, 1404 - 1472
Self-Portrait, c. 1435
bronze

Leone Battista Alberti, among the most broadly talented men of the Renaissance, is celebrated for his treatises on painting, sculpture, and architecture. He was also accomplished in the fields of law, philosophy, mathematics, and science. Besides experimenting with painting and sculpture, he designed great churches in the north Italian cities of Rimini and Mantua, whose rulers he advised on the arts. He also served as architectural advisor to Pope Nicholas V.

This bronze is probably cast from a wax model, in a shape and design inspired by an ancient Roman carved gem. The folds around the neck suggest classical drapery. The closely cropped cap of hair can be associated both with Roman and mid-fifteenth-century styles. Its fluffy tufts recall the mane of Alberti's namesake, the lion (leone).

The clean, continuous lines, proudly lifted head, and distant gaze give Alberti's features a noble, idealized character. Under his chin is his personal emblem, a winged eye. Alberti wrote of the eye as the most powerful, swift, and worthy of human parts, reminding us to be ever vigilant in the pursuit of what is good.

The image is also meant to represent the all-seeing eye of God.

SOURCE: National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
http://www.nga.gov/fcgi-bin/tinfo_f?obj ... etail=none

The winged eye is glossed in the typically cryptical style of Florentine Neoplatonism, employing the Ciceronian device, QUID TUM (in English: What Then?), to powerful effect as a memento to live mindfully.

Centuries later, Robert Hooke would describe Alberti as “the Vitruvius of his Time: He being a Scholar, an excellent Painter, Sculptor and Mechanist, and an excellent Architect.”

For Edgar Wind, the medallion crafted for the Florentine humanist, Leon Battista Alberti (1404–1472), was a fine example of the symbol raised to a universal art form: “the image has an inherent eloquence ... it speaks the universal language of the imagination,” especially to “experienced men,” even if they have chosen to reject it. With this claim, Wind was responding to E. M. Forster’s contention that “if a work of art parades a mystifying element, it is to that extent not a work of art, ‘not an immortal Muse but a Sphinx who dies as soon as her riddles are answered’.” Countered Wind,

Certainly there are symbols which fit this admirable description. They disturb us as long as we do not understand them, and bore us as soon as we do. The winged eyes and ears that flutter around an Allegory of Fame by Filarete, who associated them with the “winged words” of Homer, are a good example of what Mr Forster means. But Alberti’s winged eye is a contrary instance. It shows that a great symbol is the reverse of a sphinx; it is more alive when its riddle is answered.

(Wind, Pagan Mysteries in the Renaissance 235)

All mystical images, because they retain a certain articulation by which they are distinguished as “hedges” or umbraculae, belong to an intermediate state, which invites further “complication” above, and further “explication” below. They are never final in the sense of a literal statement, which would fix the mind to a given point; nor are they final in the sense of the mystical Absolute in which all images would vanish. Rather they keep the mind in continued suspense by presenting the paradox of an “inherent transcendence”; they persistently hint at more than they say.

(Wind, Pagan Mysteries in the Renaissance 206)

SOURCE: Please visit this terrific website!
http://www.she-philosopher.com/gallery/ ... ciety.html

Just getting going on this and will be adding more this evening. Suzanne

------------------

Hi All, It's Thursday morning, going on 6 AM my time. I meant to add some quotes here about how Alberti considered his winged eye element as related to Egyptian hieroglyphics... but I have misplaced the link, so here is something else which definitely shows the immense influence of Alberti upon Leonardo.

This material comes from an article in 1994 about an exhibition of Alberti's multi-faceted works. It is presently only available in "cache" status at Google search.

LIANE LEFAIVRE - Author

LEON BATTISTA ALBERTI:

SOME NEW FACETS OF THE POLYHEDRON

"Leon Battista Alberti" exhibition, curated by Joseph Rykwert and Robert Tavernor. Held at the Palazzo Te, Mantua, Septem- ber 10 to December 11, 1994.

LEON BATT1STA ALBERTI, Joseph Rykwert and Anne Engel, editors, Olivetti/Electa (IvrealMilan), 1994, 565 pp., illus.

Leon Battista Alberti's output was immense, embracing poems, love stories and plays, political and moral treatises on civic humanism, painting, sculpture, architecture, garden design, urban design, mathematics and civil, mechanical, hydraulic, and construction engineering. And amazingly, there are still parts of this uniquely polymorphous body of work that remain enigmatic. It is so large that its exact limits have not yet been fully surveyed, despite the quantity of books devoted to it. Many of Alberti's works have disappeared, while others await definitive attribution. And at least one work, a renowned text most certainly authored by him, has been attributed to someone else for the last five hundred years.....

From Scaglia's study, Alberti the engineer emerges as a pale shadow of the picture Gadol painted: and certainly not the person whose engineering thinking so impressed Leonardo da Vinci - in particular Alberti's surveying techniques and his treatise De navis (Now lost), a technical book on ships. Scaglia presents him as a mere commentator of first-century Greek scientists Hero of Alexandria and Pappus. Two of Hero's inventions in particular might have influenced Alberti, she observes: a device for measuring distances traveled on land, called an odometer, and another for distances traveled on water, although they are also described by Vitruvius who lived a century before Hero. She establishes that the five elementary machines - the capstan, lever, pulley, wedge, and screw - described in De re are in fact paraphrases of Hero's Mechanica.

The two inventions Scaglia does allow him are the surveying device he employed in his map of Rome – which has been dealt with exhaustively by Gadol (who is not footnoted) – and something Alberti called the fontane a termini, an airpressure siphon in which air and water rise and fall alternately. Alberti comes out short-changed in this essay, which fails to give due credit to one of the most active mechanical, civil, hydraulic, and construction engineers of the Renaissance.

The last essay in the catalog, by Pietro Marani, reflects, very appropriately, on the relationship between Alberti and Leonardo. Leonardo's possession of Alberti's De navis is undisputed as he mentions it in his notebooks. Scholars have shown that he also knew of Alberti's De pictura, Ludi matematici, and one version of De re aedificatoria. Carlo Pedretti has established that San Sebastiano and San Andrea directly influenced Leonardo's architectural designs. Eugenio Garin has shown the influence of Alberti's Intercoenales (a collection of dialogues, apologias, and short stories), in particular, Lapides, on one of Leonardo's "ideal" designs. Marani curiously leaves out the influence of Alberti's map-making techniques on Leonardo's maps of central Italian towns, an observation that does appear in Franco Borsi's Leon Battista Alberti (Milan: Electa, 1975).

Nevertheless, Marani's conclusion - that, without Alberti, there would have been no Leonardo - rings true, casting light on the crucial importance of the transmission of knowledge to humanistic and scientific discovery.

SOURCE: Article in Google Cache

OK, we can get away from this more boring information about mechanical matters above and get back to our more favorite mystical matters below. I should be able to find the misplaced hieroglyphic info in a few hours. Interestingly Alberti and others like him who he associated with saw representations such as his own emblem of "the winged eye" of God (or is that Egyptian Horus?) has having some kind of mysterious properties where the material item could have a spiritual effect.

Image Image

Taking the winged eye as his personal emblem, Alberti praised the eye as "more powerful than anything, swifter, more worthy; what more can I say? It is such as to be the first, chief, king, like a god of human parts. Why else did the ancients consider God as something akin to an eye, seeing all things and distinguishing each separate one" (Watkins, "L. B. Alberti's Emblem," 256-57). Alberti shared the sentiments of Nicholas of Cusa, who also associated the eye with an all-seeing divinity: "God ...is called theos from this very fact that He beholdeth all things," including the "secret places" of the soul (Cusa, De Visione Dei, 7). The term theatre shares this divine etymology (théatron – seeing place). Drawn by Amelia Amelia after medal cast by Matteo Pasti.

SOURCE: http://www.gutenberg-e.org/kirkbride/de ... medal.html

In portraying himself, Alberti dispenses with both the Latin motto and the air of complacency to be found on de' Pasti's medal, identifying himself only by his gaunt face and his personal hieroglyph, a winged eye that radiates thunderbolts. The hieroglyphic image is a deliberate homage to ancient Egypt; Alberti claimed that Egyptian writing "could be understood easily by expert men all over the world, to whom alone noble matters should be communicated" (De Re Aedificatoria VIII.4, translated by Joseph Rykwert, Neil Leach, and Robert Tavernor). So, too, faces may communicate without words. Nonetheless, to a latter-day community for whom the Rosetta Stone has forever changed the means whereby noble matters Egyptian are communicated, the significance of Alberti's personal emblem, and hence the whole tone of his self-portrait, remain stubbornly hermetic. Whose hieroglyphic eye sheds these thunderbolts? What are the thoughts of this uncomfortably angular man with toga and shorn hair?

SOURCE: 'So What?' New York Review of Books
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2024

At the end of the last post on this topic, I said this. FINAL NOTE for this post: The Alberti material became very interesting, and also there are some illustrations he gave which can be compared to Leonardo's. The BIG BIG significance is however that Alberti got a lot of his information from the available works of an Islamic scholar Alhazen (Ibn al-Haytham, d. ca. 1041) who has been called the "first true scientist". So, here is the rest of what applies to the topic of optics... which will get us back around to mirrors.

Alberti regarded mathematics as the common ground of art and the sciences. "To make clear my exposition in writing this brief commentary on painting," Alberti began his treatise, Della pittura (On Painting), "I will take first from the mathematicians those things with which my subject is concerned." [4]

This treatise (Della pittura ) was also known in Latin as De Pictura, and it relied in its scientific content on classical optics in determining perspective as a geometric instrument of artistic and architectural representation. Alberti was well-versed in the sciences of his age. His knowledge of optics was connected to the handed-down long-standing tradition of the Kitab al-manazir (The Optics; De aspectibus) of the Arab polymath Alhazen (Ibn al-Haytham, d. ca. 1041), which was mediated by Franciscan optical workshops of the 13th-century Perspectivae traditions of scholars such as Roger Bacon, John Peckham and Witelo (similar influences are also traceable in the third commentary of Lorenzo Ghiberti, Commentario terzo).[5]

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Battista_Alberti

Legacy of an Islamic scientist 500 years before Leonardo Da Vinci

Ibn al-Haythem made significant improvements in optics, physical science, and the scientific method which influenced the development of science for over five hundred years after his death. Ibn al-Haytham's work on optics is credited with contributing a new emphasis on experiment. His influence on physical sciences in general, and on optics in particular, has been held in high esteem and, in fact, ushered in a new era in optical research, both in theory and practice. The scientific method is considered to be so fundamental to modern science that some—especially philosophers of science and practising scientists—consider earlier inquiries into nature to be pre-scientific.

Richard Powers nominated Ibn al-Haytham's scientific method and scientific skepticism as the most influential idea of the second millennium. Recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics Abdus Salam considered Ibn-al-Haytham "one of the greatest physicists of all time." George Sarton, the father of the history of science, wrote that "Ibn Haytham's writings reveal his fine development of the experimental faculty" and considered him "not only the greatest Muslim physicist, but by all means the greatest of mediaeval times." Robert S. Elliot considers Ibn al-Haytham to be "one of the ablest students of optics of all times." The author Bradley Steffens considers him to be the "first scientist", and Professor Jim Al-Khalili also considers him the "world's first true scientist". The Biographical Dictionary of Scientists wrote that Ibn al-Haytham was "probably the greatest scientist of the Middle Ages" and that "his work remained unsurpassed for nearly 600 years until the time of Johannes Kepler." At a scientific conference in February 2007 as a part of the Hockney-Falco thesis, Charles M. Falco argued that Ibn al-Haytham's work on optics may have influenced the use of optical aids by Renaissance artists. Falco said that his and David Hockney's examples of Renaissance art "demonstrate a continuum in the use of optics by artists from circa 1430, arguably initiated as a result of Ibn al-Haytham's influence, until today."

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Haytham

"Ibn al-Haytham proved that light travels in straight lines
using the scientific method in his Book of Optics (1021)."

Repeat comment from Suzanne: This was 500 years before Leonardo. Next, some illustrations from Alberti that would have influenced Leonardo's work with perspective and optics. In declaring one person the Super Genius, we tend to forget about all the others of many nationalities over many centuries whose work led up to somebody else's later and better known accomplishments.

BOOK: front cover is pictured here next - by Samuel Y. Edgerton
http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Window-Tel ... 0801474809

Mirrors in the late Middle Ages were not only objects of scientific optical study, but were believed to have some sort of divine significance. Pilgrims often carried them to sacred shrines in order to capture the reflections of holy relics, the miraculous powers of which were believed to be retained in the mirror even when the reflections themselves had disappeared (Schwarz, 1959, p. 90-105). Moreover, earthly reality itself was thought to be only a weakened mirror reflection of the perfect reality of heaven. Antonino often sermonized about the mirror as allegory of human mortality, especially as implied in the famous words of St. Paul in his Epistle to the Corinthians (I, 13:12): “videmus nunc per speculum in enigmata tunc autem facie ad faciem” in the Vulgate Latin, which was translated into the austere King James English as “For now we see through a glass darkly but then face to face” but which should be more literally rendered as, “At present we see things indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face.”

Brunelleschi’s demonstration indeed permitted viewers to believe that they had penetrated the very enigma of the mirror, to see both the virtual reflection and actual Baptistery ‘face to face’ behind the reflection, just as St. Paul had preached. His small hand-held panel of the Baptistery astonished fifteenth-century Florentines because it revealed not just a superior likeness in the modern secular ‘photographic’ sense, but rather because the artist’s perspective image seemed to enhance as never before the sacredness of the Florentine Baptistery. Moreover, Brunelleschi’s viewers were enticed to believe themselves envisioning the very process by which “the prophets see God or his divine mysteries behind the images and likenesses of sensible things,” as Antonino preached. “Spiritual geometry works to measure temporal things … It measures dimensions not as quantities but as virtues within God…” (Antonine, op. cit.; see also Edgerton, 1977, v. I, p. 115-30).

Nevertheless, the first written connection between art and optical science was not recorded until 1435, when the humanist-scholar, Leon Battista Alberti (1406-72), stepped literally into the picture. In that and the next year, Alberti wrote a book on painting in two versions: Della pittura in Italian and De pictura in Latin, the first book to treat the visual arts as an appropriate humanist subject, as worthy of the same intellectual study as the great classics of antique Greek and Roman literature (Alberti, 1972). Alberti, who certainly accepted without question all the religious analogies between perspectiva naturalis and divine intention, nevertheless preferred to bring the matter more down to earth, as it were. For him the real advantage of Brunelleschi’s method was that the very rigidity of its structure and strict adherence to such an absolute law of nature as Euclid’s geometry must signify not just divine order but also human moral order. Alberti was so taken by the fecundity of the arts flourishing in Florence (he dedicated the Italian version of his book to Brunelleschi) that he now believed that painting in particular, if it followed the rules correctly, could provide ethical guidance to noble human behavior just as surely as the writings of Cicero.

Alberti’s actual perspective method was no more than a codification of Brunelleschi’s method already in practice by a number of artists in 1435, but he did present it in the form of simple sequential steps which, as his treatise increasingly circulated in Italy and across the Alps, helped to proliferate the new art-science throughout Europe (Figure 9). His most original contribution, however, was what has ever since become known as ‘Alberti’s window’ (Figure 10), an open frame gridded by perpendicular threads through which the artist should view the scene to be painted, and then transfer the coordinate details in scale onto his similarly gridded picture. In essence, even if inadvertent, it shifted the purpose of perspective painting not as a depiction of divine mystery revealed by geometry, but as worldly perfection framed by geometry.

SOURCE of this excellent article above with lots more information by Samuel Y. Edgerton:
Brunelleschi's mirror, Alberti's window, and Galileo's 'perspective tube'
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S01 ... ci_arttext

Finally we are back around to Leonardo's
interest and inventiveness related to mirrors.

Below is a study of concave mirrors, producing solar heat, from one of Leonardo's Notebooks.

Next post: Leonardo's Notebooks & Infinity of Mirror Images - Four

Two basic topics for that one: 1. Pico della Mirandola 2. What this picture below means!!!

Mona Leo

Suzanne

Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:50 pm
Profile Personal album

Post Leonardo's Notebooks & Infinity of Mirror Images – Four
Pico Della Mirandola

February 24, 1463 – November 17, 1494

Hi to All readers interested in finding out more about Leonardo's probable use of Pythagorean, Gnostic, and Hermetic symbolism in his paintings. The same materials here deal as well with what may have been his own "hidden" esoteric speculations that were considered heresies by the Church. HIDDEN... because they had to be in a form of a visual "Da Vinci Code" in order for him not to be tortured and executed for dabbling in forbidden occult knowledge.

Man burned at the stake during Leonardo's era in Florence, Italy.

Just starting out on this... the 27th... here's a brief description of Pico I am borrowing for the moment from what I said to Patrick this morning over on the Dreams: Billy Graham - Vision experience 8:30-8:45 PM thread at http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=8641#8641

The other thing I was going to work on today was of course the post I keep saying I will do about Pico della Miran... maybe I need another rest!... can't spell. He was so instrumental in the translations of ancient Greek thinkers, plus works of Judaic and Islamic mysticism and philosophy that helped to bring about a greater Renaissance of inquiry and challenge to the Church's viciously cruel suppression of doctrinal dissent. Pico himself took the wiser, in some cases, approach to not being burned at the stake by returning to the arms of the Catholic fold before he died of natural causes at a fairly young age.

6:23 PM my time Friday Nov. 27: Of course this information about Pico is here because it is related to our better understanding of Leonardo. These two brief quotes are from a post I already made above in this thread.

.....With Alberti, Leonardo visited the home of the Medici and through them came to know the older Humanist philosophers of whom Marsiglio Ficino, proponent of Neo Platonism, Cristoforo Landino, writer of commentaries on Classical writings, and John Argyropoulos, teacher of Greek and translator of Aristotle were foremost. Also associated with the Academy of the Medici was Leonardo's contemporary, the brilliant young poet and philosopher Pico della Mirandola.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci

Pico spent several months in Perugia and nearby Fratta, recovering from his injuries. It was there, as he wrote to Ficino, that "divine Providence […] caused certain books to fall into my hands. They are Chaldean books […] of Esdras, of Zoroaster and of Melchior, oracles of the magi, which contain a brief and dry interpretation of Chaldean philosophy, but full of mystery." It was also in Perugia that Pico was introduced to the mystical Hebrew Kabbalah, which fascinated him, as did the late Classical Hermetic writers, such as Hermes Trismegistus.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_P ... _Mirandola

Modern edition of HEPTAPLUS
by Pico della Mirandola

(... that he was holding in his hands in the
large portrait of him at the top of this post.)

Quote:
Pico’s Heptaplus, a mystico-allegorical exposition of the creation according to the seven Biblical senses, elaborates on his idea that different religions and traditions describe the same God. De ente et uno, has explanations of several passages in Moses, Plato and Aristotle.

He wrote in Italian an imitation of Plato's Symposium. His letters (Aureae ad familiares epistolae, Paris, 1499) are important for the history of contemporary thought. The many editions of his entire works in the sixteenth century sufficiently prove his influence.

SOURCE: OK general info... but not as good as the next one after this:
http://www.answers.com/topic/giovanni-p ... -mirandola

There is the saying that "It takes one to know one"... in this case that a source which is esoteric itself may have better information for us about Pico and Leonardo than a stuffy philosophical or academic source. Personally I find this one really terrific and recommend a total reading for anyone who wants some real dynamic insight into the Renaissance revival of ancient classical and mystical studies as well as practices.

Quote:
Pico Della Mirandola

Islam spread swiftly, in the East from Arabia through Egypt and the Levant to the gates of Constantinople, in the West across Africa and Spain to Tours. The security of the Church was threatened, mocking its pretence to universal rule, physically by the seizure of the Holy Land, and metaphysically through the introduction of invigorating ideas into the very heart of Christendom. Great Arabic philosophers preserved and taught portions of the Platonic tradition; scientists developed astronomy, alchemy and astrology; Jewish esotericism flourished under the protection of the Koran and the influence of Sufi theosophy; Islamic political expansion into India renewed interest in mathematics and imported the Hindu numerals into the West, providing a system of notation suitable for advanced mathematical investigation.

Dissension within the Church, including the removal of the papal court to Avignon in 1309 and the simultaneous election of two 'Supreme Pontiffs' upon its return to Rome in 1377, weakened the credibility of any claim to universal authority. Brave voices like that of John Wycliffe (1320-1384) questioned superstitious dogmas – the forgiveness of sins, the power of excommunication and transubstantiation – and paved the way for rational reconsideration of the concepts of man, nature and deity.

The Second Impulsion found its richest expression in the jewel of the Italian Renaissance, Giovanni Pico della Mirandola (1463-1494), younger son of the Count of La Mirandola and Concordia. He studied at the universities of Bologna, Ferrara, Padua and Paris, mastering Italian, Latin, Greek, Arabic, Aramaic and Hebrew. Pico's reverence for prisca theologia, ancient wisdom, drew him to the Florentine Platonic Academy established by Marsilio Ficino under the aegis and encouragement of Cosimo dei Medici. His awareness of the universality of truth led him to reject such humanist tendencies as the emphasis upon oratorical style over philosophical reason and the exclusive dependence on ancient Greece for inspiration. Pico studied Zoroaster and Moses, Orpheus and Pythagoras, Christian theology, Islamic philosophy and the Hebrew Qabbalah. Ficino translated Plato into Latin and Pico studied his works avidly. When agents of the Medicis brought the Hermetic writings to Florence, Pico urged Ficino to translate them, holding that they contained the root of wisdom and the synthesis of philosophy, science and religion. Pico himself single-handedly brought the Qabbalah into the heart of the Renaissance... lots more...

Copyright 2000 Theosophy Library Online (rescued from oblivion, for Eclectic Theosophical History, June 2006) by Katinka Hesselink.

LINK: http://www.katinkahesselink.net/his/Pic ... andola.htm

Saturday the 28th, 4ish AM... Pico had a very intriguing passionate love affair with a married woman who he had run away with him... briefly. He was amazingly not sliced to pieces immediately for this offense although he was wounded and imprisoned but released by one of his powerful benefactors. Just in case people wonder why there may have been more male sexual liaisons with other men during that era instead of affairs with women outside of marriage... one factor could be that fornication with the opposite sex (other than prostitutes) or adultery was far harder to get away with. It is unusual that Pico did not wind up very painfully dead for what he was caught doing.

How this might apply to Leonardo will be dealt with next... as some sources such as Dr. Raymond Stites, of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC (who I talked with in the early 1970s) did believe that Leonardo may have had some potential romantic interest in perhaps three women he came into contact with.
Suzanne

Monday, Nov. 30 2:50 PM:
NEWS FLASH -- Pico was assassinated with poison!

Considering that I have been reading quite a few things about Pico for some weeks, it is surprising to find out only this morning this rather belated news of modern testing on his exhumed remains:
Quote:
Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Medici philosopher was murdered by poison
Mystery of Medici philosopher's death is finally solved
By Malcolm Moore
7 February 2008
The Daily Telegraph

AFTER 500 years, one of Renaissance Italy's most enduring murder mysteries has been solved by forensic scientists.

Ever since Giovanni Pico della Mirandola, a mystical and mercurial philosopher at the court of Lorenzo de' Medici, suddenly became sick and died in 1494, it has been rumoured that foul play was involved. Pico's fame has faded, but he was a celebrated figure at the Medici court.

He gained notoriety when, at the age of 23, he offered to defend 900 of his opinions on philosophy and religion against all-comers. His subsequent tract, The Oration on the Dignity of Man, has been called the "manifesto of the Renaissance''.

http://medievalnews.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... ed-by.html

Will finish this Pico post later today... and then move on to a new one about Mona Leo.

FINAL ADDITION TO THIS POST: So, what is the one more item about Pico going to be? I kind of wanted it to be something that would have "mirror" in its text to go along with the second half of the same theme in our last four post themes: Leonardo's Notebooks & Infinity of Mirror Images – Four... So, only about eight minutes ago, it is 5:16 AM my time Tuesday right now, one of those kind of monumental synchronicities took place that are impossible to explain as normal cause and effect or mere coincidence... I started out writing about it here in detail but have decided at 5:30 to end this post and make a short new one about the lovely meaningful coincidence I discovered when Googling about Pico and Mirror.

Suzanne

P.S. It will not be just "a short new one" because other marvelous themes presented themselves while I was collecting the quotes that are very worthwhile reading more completely than in a few snippets.

Last edited by Suzanne on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:22 pm
Profile Personal album

Post Leonardo Da Vinci, Pico della Mirandola, and Guess Who?
Hello to All our Leonardo secret code fans, We will have some good ones for you here this morning for sure! Here is a repeat of what I said a couple of hours ago at the end of the Pico della Mirandola post:

FINAL ADDITION TO THIS POST: So, what is the one more item about Pico going to be? I kind of wanted it to be something that would have "mirror" in its text to go along with the second half of the same theme in our last four post themes: Leonardo's Notebooks & Infinity of Mirror Images – Four... So, only about eight minutes ago, it is 5:16 AM my time Tuesday right now, one of those kind of monumental synchronicities took place that are impossible to explain as normal cause and effect or mere coincidence... I started out writing about it here in detail but have decided at 5:30 to end this post and make a short new one about the lovely meaningful coincidence I discovered when Googling about Pico and Mirror.

P.S. It will not be just "a short new one" because other marvelous themes presented themselves while I was collecting the quotes that are very worthwhile reading more completely than in a few snippets.

----------------------------------------------- NEW POST BEGINS:

As many readers here at the forum already know, I have been "suffering" for almost two years from the supposed delusion that a very nice (now deceased) man I knew 50 years ago has been communicating with me from his afterlife locale. Even if that might be a "nuts" ideas to have... my ghost man (who I call Lee) at least tends to offer good advice. A few days ago I was thinking about how hard it is to be patient with my husband's medical and cognitive problems... so I was saying to my deceased friend that trying to be more understanding and loving does not seem to work for long. I get overwhelmed anyway because I have a lot of onset of aging problems myself.

Sort of while just kind of thinking out loud about this, I was asking, "Nothing's working... What can I do?" My old friend/love replied, "Reverence him," meaning treat my husband in whatever way that term applied in this situation. Of course I assumed it did not mean to bow down like a slave before the master kind of thing. A day or two later, it took that long, it occurred to me that Ann and I have written so many posts on this Blog months ago about Albert Schweitzer that the word "reverence" should have made me immediately think of Schweitzer's teaching about "Reverence for Life". Just how do we reverence another person in the right way? In what way would reverencing someone be the same or different from trying to be more loving and patient? I was trying to look at this logically of course. I was thinking and thinking and thinking...

So, then my inner spiritual adviser when needed said, "Why not just FEEL what reverence is like?" That made a difference, and I actually was considerably more patient with my husband for a while, like half a day, and then I forgot how reverence felt and forgot I was even supposed to be doing it. Ann happened to write to me late last night, since we both have been busy during Thanksgiving time, and I wrote back to her that also, "Lee has me chugging along doing rather complicated interweavings in posts about the Renaissance and of course Leonardo". Then I decided to do the Googling of Pico and Mirror as mentioned in the post right above this one. I was going to end on whatever significant theme I found in the Google results.

OK, here is the one that caught my eye, must be something I can use on a COOL page like that!

MIRRORING THE MACROCOSM – Raghavan Iyer @ Theosophy Trust
... the mirror of an invisible universe that is around and beyond him. ... as did Pythagoras and Pico della Mirandola, as "the measure of all things". ...
theosophytrust.org/tlodocs/MirroringtheMacrocosm.htm

So I clicked on the link... YES... get ready for this BIG synchronicity... what could Pico have to do with... Schweitzer? The word REVERENCE appears at this link almost immediately.

MIRRORING THE MACROCOSM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the first place revere the Immortal Gods as they are established and ordained by the Law.
Reverence the Oath. In the next place revere the Heroes who are full of goodness and light.
Honour likewise the Terrestrial Daimons by rendering them the worship lawfully due to them.
Honour likewise thy father and thy mother, and thy nearest relations.

Of all the rest of mankind, make him thy friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue. Always give ear to his mild exhortations, and take example from his virtuous and useful actions. Refrain, as far as you can, from spurning thy friend for a slight fault, for power surrounds necessity.

Never set thy hand to the work, till thou hast first prayed the Gods to accomplish what thou art going to begin. When thou hast made this habit familiar to thee, thou wilt know the constitution of the Immortal Gods and of men; even how far the different Beings extend, and what contains and binds them together.

Thou shalt likewise know, in accord with Cosmic Order, that the nature of this Universe is in all things alike, so that thou shalt not hope what thou oughtest not to hope; and nothing in this world shall be hid from thee.

From -- The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Then two paragraphs down farther on the web page, it says this:

In our century man has to re-learn the ancient, archetypal truth that he is a microcosm, a world in himself, the mirror of an invisible universe that is around and beyond him. An educated person who does not recognize the value of reverence for Nature, for Nature's laws and for one's fellow men, cannot be regarded as a cultured individual. Intuitive thinkers of our time, like Dr. Albert Schweitzer, have realized that the collapse of civilizations came about in the past when men and women had lost their reverence for life, their sense of joy in adventure, their spirit of wonder and humility.

Reverence for life which I apply to my own existence, and reverence for life which keeps me in a temper of devotion to other existence than mine, interpenetrate each other.

In the third paragraph, right below this statement about Schweitzer is mention of... Pico:

The nature of this interpenetration cannot be fully grasped unless we regard man, as did Pythagoras and Pico della Mirandola, as "the measure of all things". Man is the centre of a series of concentric circles, of little worlds extending from the 'here and now' to the infinite expanse of Space and Time. Man is a microcosm in many senses and in different dimensions of his complete individuality. His family is a small macrocosm, the range and heritage and hereditary character of which he reflects in his own being. Each day in his life is like a miniature aeon during which he emanates and absorbs fresh currents of thought and energy. As a citizen, man reproduces the attitudes and characteristics of his neighbourhood, his locality, his village or city, his province and his country. As a member of present-day humanity and of the contemporary world, man embodies the trends and forces that constitute the matrix of this great macrocosm. Man's life in a particular personality reveals the spirit of the age to which he belongs.

Another amazing coincidence is that I wanted to quote quite a bit more from this author Raghavan Iyer and checked his bio at Wiki and found out he died in 1995, so he is unlikely to mind if we enjoy reading his material written in 1979 and probably only rarely accessed by Internet readership. It says he has a son... named... Pico... oh, and for our forum friends Patrick and Jan who along with me have been posting about singer Leonard Cohen over a few days this week... here:

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=8685#8685

Pico Iyer (born 1957) is a British-born essayist and novelist of Indian descent... also "has contributed liner-notes for four Leonard Cohen albums".

Don't ask me how these seemingly impossible series of synchronicities can happen. I don't know. They just happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raghavan_N._Iyer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_Iyer

More of what Raghavan Iyer wrote and link at end to the rest of his excellent material:

This manifold microcosmic nature of man gives rise to the complex of interactions between local and global, ephemeral and enduring cultures. A truly and fully cultured man is able to absorb the beneficial currents that flow from all directions and at all times; he perceives the beauty of the great macrocosm within the boundaries of the small; he enjoys the grandeur of lasting realities amidst the flux of fleeting illusions and shadows. He takes the whole universe for his province, regards the world as a city, considers humanity as his family. Like Goethe's Faust, he apostrophizes the passing moment: "Stay! How wonderful thou art!" In appreciating art, music and literature he compares the unfamiliar with the familiar and proceeds from the known to the unknown, showing an awareness, however slight, of the patterns and rhythms of Nature, the cosmic dance of the elements, the changing positions of the stars, the strange music of the spheres, the mighty magic of prakriti (matter). Recognizing that in every speck in space and in every form of matter is to be found the motion of invisible intelligences, of devas (gods) and devatas (nature spirits), he pays honour first to the Immortal Gods of whom Pythagoras spoke, of whom Plotinus wrote in his fifth Ennead:

For them all things are transparent, and there is nothing dark or impenetrable, but everyone is manifest to everyone internally, and all things are manifest; for light is manifest to light. For everyone has all things in himself and sees all things in another; so that all things are everywhere and all is all and each is all, and the glory is infinite. Each of them is great, since the small also is great. In heaven the sun is all the stars, and again each and all are the sun. One thing in each is prominent above the rest; for it also shows forth all. There a pure movement reigns; but that which produces the movement, not being a stranger to it, does not trouble it. Rest is also perfect there, because no principle of agitation mingles with it.

Reverencing those cosmic intelligences which we call Gods of Wisdom, we are able to see the Order that "hath established Their Choirs". We can attempt to mirror on earth that Divine Harmony or Rta and its action or Karma by reordering our social institutions in terms of Dharma, the Law of Duty, the Religion of Works, and Swaraj, the Rule of the One Self. In the memorable words of the sixth Book of The Republic of Plato:

. . . are not those who are verily and indeed wanting in the knowledge of the true being of each thing, and who have in their souls no clear pattern, and are unable as with a painter's eye to look at the absolute truth and to that original to repair, and having perfect vision of the other world to order the laws about beauty, goodness, justice in this, if not already ordered, and to guard and preserve the order of them – are not such persons, I ask, simply blind?

For he, Adeimantus, whose mind is fixed upon true being, has surely no time to look down upon the affairs of earth, or to be filled with malice and envy, contending against men; his eye is ever directed towards things fixed and immutable, which he sees neither injuring nor injured by one another, but all in order moving according to reason; these he imitates, and to these he will, as far as he can, conform himself. Can a man help imitating that with which he holds reverential converse?

http://theosophytrust.org/tlodocs/Mirro ... rocosm.htm

Will be fixing this for awhile at 7:21 AM -- just wanted to get it posted first, then edit if needed -- It's an hour later at 8:24... I just noticed two other synchronicities since I was working on editing the above material. Farther down on the page by Raghavan Iyer at the link just given, there are these two sentences:

Integrity, uprightness and self-respect – these are the very roots of real culture. Intelligent, deliberative action and an awareness of the norms of goodness and beauty (of what the Greeks called arete) – these constitute the fragrance or aroma of culture, the "sweetness and light" of which Matthew Arnold wrote.

On Wednesday evening when I got home from my daughter's house, I noticed that she had placed a rather old small book in my carry bag without saying she had from boxes she had been storing since I do not have room at my condo. It was the The Poems of Matthew Arnold 1840-1866, and the print date for it was 1915. This book would have belonged to my deceased father who was born in 1890.

The next synchronicity was actually because of just a hunch I had. I wondered if this Raghavan Iyer had any connection to my old philosophy professor Kurt Leidecker who was one of the early Western academics to actually teach Oriental Philosophy at college level and also lived here in Virginia. He and his wife were both my dear friends for many years until they died around 1990. I had mentioned them in a post when this Blog was first getting started. The very first Google result:

- An Index to The Canadian Theosophist, 1920-2007, index 1959-67 ...
... of Grammar and Language' by Kurt F Leidecker -- Joan Sutcliffe ...... review: 'The Bhagavad Gita with The Uttara Gita' ed by Raghavan Iyer -- Ted G Davy ...
http://www.austheos.org.au/indices/CANTH2.HTM - Cached

In closing, I will recall for our regular readers that in one of my early posts, I said something that is similar to a quote from the material above by Raghavan Iyer.

For everyone has all things in himself and sees all things in another; so that all things are everywhere and all is all and each is all, and the glory is infinite.

When I was starting college in Washington, DC in 1961, this event happened in connection with the deceased man who supposedly communicates with me now. From Suzanne Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:07 am -- One day, when I was at Mr. Smith's office (a counselor), I told him I seemed to be going insane over an older man and wanted his advice. I handed the oddball message to him, and he looked it over and said something along the lines of, "Do you always write like this? This is amazing, like out of a Gothic novel." The main theme of this brief note: "You and I have chosen to see ourselves in each other and each other in ourselves."

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=5984#5984

Where did I get such an unusual idea at age 17? I still do not know "where from" since I have never found those exact words in any book, movie, or in Internet searches. But just maybe it has something to do with this picture but not necessarily reincarnation.

Mona Leo

SOURCE: http://design.osu.edu/carlson/history/lesson9.html

Our next post will be ONLY about this topic of ourselves in each other.

Suzanne - otherwise sometimes known as Sue Lee
:wink:

P.S. To All Registered Forum Friends, Please feel very free to comment on this specific post as it is not one of a series of primarily Renaissance informational posts. I would like to have your contributions and critiques. Let's see if some of you come up with some interesting synchronicities related to this topic as well.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:21 pm
Profile Personal album

Post Celestial Cities - Part 1
A number of strands have come together for me, and I want to express a few ideas. This is very much a convergence of some of my interests, involving links that I had not previously seen.

I want to begin with the work of Peter Kingsley. On a practical level, his technique of Incubation parallels to some extent methods and experiences discussed here involving bodily awareness. Incubation was used by the Presocratic Greeks as part of a tradition that has reawakened, like a sleeping king beneath a hill. Actually, it was also practised in my own native Britain, in connection with healing dreams.

In his recorded talks, Kingsley sometimes touches upon themes that are not mentioned in his books, and there are some that have played a part in the development of these ideas. He states that the tradition of ancient Greece is an expresion of a spiritual tradition that has a particular note, that creates civilistions. That created our Western civilisation in order to develop rational thought. And this seed, this impulse, was brought from the Underworld by shamanic figures such as Parmenides and Empedocles. It was the root of our rationality and its methods, even if there has been a deviation, as Kingsley claims.

He also suggests that in some way, there was a change in our world at about this time - I am not sure of the date he gives. But prior to this change, he believes that we should proceed with caution in assessing the civilisations of which we have knowledge.

To be continued.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Last edited by Patrick Booker on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:20 am

Post Celestial Cities - Part 2
Kingsley discussed the relationship of this ancient Greek tradition (which according to him was brought from Tibet by shamans) to Sufism, most specifically the Sufism of Iran. The latter took the ideas of the Greeks and developed them, when the West was developing them in another way. A key modern teacher here is Henry Corbin - I haven't read any of his books, but I believe that he knew Jung. Anyway, there is a Sufi idea of Celestial Cities, that I believe Corbin discusses. These are archetypal patterns of organisation, from which our civilisations are derived. Kingsley discussed how ancient cities were based upon such patterns, with the knowledge these cultures possessed of sacred geometry, number, sacred language, number and sound. He mentions Jerusalem as an example. But different cities, different patterns. Astrology comes into this, but something beyond what we know as astrology.

I have an interest in sacred geometry, and suggest that some of its recurring themes relate to these patterns. The Celestial Cities are in the Celestial Earth according to Corbin, but here is a figure by John Michell, which I have myself constructed many times, using compass and straight edge.

These are John Michell's 'New Jerusalem' paintings.
http://www.thehope.org/njframe.htm

They are an example; there are of course others I could have chosen.

So our ancestors could access these patterns through their own bodies. This is what Pythagoras did according to Kingsley, and I have discussed in another thread how there are people today who solve scientific problems through bodily posture.

To be continued.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Last edited by Patrick Booker on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:48 am

Post Celestial Cities - Part 3
A further interest of mine is so-called 'alternative history', with its examination of ancient cultures that apparently were using technologies in advance of our own. This has given rise to the extra-terrestrial hypotheses, the Atlantis legend (itself an archetype), and numerous attempts to reconstruct history. Egypt is perhaps the prime candidate here, and an engineer called Chris Dunn has looked at the Great Pyramid from his perspective as a specialist in he use of tools. He concludes that we could not match the builders' engineering standards, and believes that it was used as a sort of power station using the MASER principle and utilising the vibrations of the earth. I am not an engineer, although I have read his book, so I am not going into detail here. There are numerous examples, and legends of the use of sound for levitation. There does seem to be something that conventional scholars are ignoring.

So were these people using an advanced technology? I offer an idea, merely a suggestion, that the significant fact is that they were drawing upon the patterns of the Celestial Cities. So although they may not have been part of our cycle of developing science and rationality as we know it, these applications were in a sense implicit and embedded in the patterns. So we can discover these in what remains, and rediscover it for ourselves.

Certain writers have suggested that the ancients left us warning messages in their works, and in a sense, this turns out to be true. There is a strong stellar/astrological aspect to what was going on, and various writers have shown connections to certain constellations - Orion, Cygnus. Could these be connected to the Celestial Cities - gateways perhaps? Dan Brown's new novel 'The Lost Symbol' focuses on aspects of this knowledge being utilised by the American Founding Fathers, and this theme has been discussed by a number of writers.

The ancient knowledge has been preserved, at least in part, in sacred alphabets, the use of sound, sacred number - many disciplines. Perhaps these disciplines were used in a different way to us, but because of their archetypal nature, contain keys appropriate to where we are now.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:16 am

Last edited by Gone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:57 pm

When I wrote this down, I just felt a surge from within, and it all made perfect sense. Now, I can see that there are things I need to think through, maybe express more clearly. But I do feel that there is some sort of insight there.

With regard to the 'Sleeping King', I only meant it as a metaphor, but it is connected with a number of sites in the UK, most famously in connection with Arthur, the 'Once and Future King' who will awaken at a time of national peril. It is sometimes connected with a horn that needs to be blown to awaken a king and his knights. It is probably connected with nationalism, although I wasn't really thinking of it that way. Probababy Churchill drew upon it to some extent. I suspect that the nationalism is a later veneer, coated onto something more fundamental.

I was trying to look at apparent ancient technological knowledge (for which I think that there is at least a case), and to consider just how the people of those times might themselves have viewed it. I haven't completely clarified it to myself, but I think that they would have seen it very differently to us. There are those we say that the ancients inherited something from a lost civilisation that they didn't understand (not being clever rationalists like us), and turned it into myths and rituals. That isn't what I am saying here, but there are old texts that can be seen that way. Perhaps our ancestors didn't make the strict distinctions that we do between inner and outer experience, and this is throwing us.

Your friend's story is very interesting - in another time and place, he might have found a different evaluation (it could have been worse, of course - at one time the Church would have thought he was possessed).

Best,

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Last edited by Patrick Booker on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Post Re: Celestial Cities & Greek Mysteries & Leonardo
Patrick Booker wrote:
A number of strands have come together for me, and I want to express a few ideas. This is very much a convergence of some of my interests, involving links that I had not previously seen.

I want to begin with the work of Peter Kingsley. On a practical level, his technique of Incubation parallels to some extent methods and experiences discused here involving bodily awareness. Incubation was used by the Presocratic Greeks as part of a tradition that has reawakened, like a sleeping king beneath a hill. Actually, it was also practised in my own native Britain, in connection with healing dreams.

Suzanne replies: Here is the link belatedly to the thread that Jan started where he, Patrick, Kristin, and I (so far) have been discussing this topic. Minoan Culture, Greek Isles as Portals to Otherworld. Lots of mention about Peter Kingsley and "incubation" as described in his book:

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=8683#8683

In his recorded talks, Kingsley sometimes touches upon themes that are not mentioned in his books, and there are some that have played a part in the development of these ideas. He states that the tradition of ancient Greece is an expresion of a spiritual tradition that has a particular note, that creates civilistion. That created our Western civilisation in order to develop rational thought. And this seed, this impulse, was brought from the Underworld by shamanic figures such as Parmenides and Empedocles. It was the root of our rationality and its methods, even if there has been a deviation, as Kingsley claims.

He also suggests that in some way, there was a change in our world at about this time - I am not sure of the date he gives. But prior to this change, he believes that we should proceed with caution in assessing the civilisations of which we have knowledge.

To be continued.

Patrick

Hello Patrick, Thanks for these posts you are making. In the night, instead of going to sleep laying down, I happened to go into another state of mind for a couple of hours while reclining just slightly in my all-purpose chair in the living room where I prop a plastic lapdesk with computer on my navel to knees. I was in some semi-dark locale watching what I assumed was an initiation ceremony. I could not detect any clues as to where or when it might have been historically. Some parts of this experience seemed "realer than real" but as has happened in a couple of other recent scenarios like this, even though things looked very vivid and detailed while "there", the recall faded out after I awakened fully back "here". Shortly thereafter, though, I got the notion to look up that phrase I mentioned at the end of my last post:
Quote:
In closing, I will recall for our regular readers that in one of my early posts, I said something that is similar to a quote from the material above by Raghavan Iyer.

For everyone has all things in himself and sees all things in another; so that all things are everywhere and all is all and each is all, and the glory is infinite.

When I was starting college in Washington, DC in 1961, this event happened in connection with the deceased man who supposedly communicates with me now. From Suzanne Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:07 am -- One day, when I was at Mr. Smith's office (a counselor), I told him I seemed to be going insane over an older man and wanted his advice. I handed the oddball message to him, and he looked it over and said something along the lines of, "Do you always write like this? This is amazing, like out of a Gothic novel." The main theme of this brief note: "You and I have chosen to see ourselves in each other and each other in ourselves."

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=5984#5984

Where did I get such an unusual idea at age 17? I still do not know "where from" since I have never found those exact words in any book, movie, or in Internet searches.

If I search that entire phrase, as I have done a couple of times before, the only resulting link comes right back here to this Blog and my usage of it. So, I took the (") marks off, and I liked the description in the 3rd result:

story 6 - Only the meek of heart will discover the truth
We need other people to learn to see ourselves, to learn to recognise .... That you have learnt all that you can learn from each other and that it is time ...
http://www.yasminverschure.nl/eu/main/story/story6.htm

Quote:
‘Only the meek of heart will discover the truth’

Ultimately, this whole book is about relationships. Relationships in the material dimension are the fertile soil in which our unconditional love can grow. We need other people to learn to see ourselves, to learn to recognise ourselves. In the relationship with your parents, your children, your friends and your partner, you recognise the dark and light sides of yourself when you are ready for it. Our external world consists of mirrors showing us which aspects of ourselves we still need to improve on and which rough edges still need smoothing off thus enabling our inner light to shine more and more to the outside. And our energy infallibly attracts the right mirrors we need for our growth process.

You cannot miss out any of the steps. You cannot have a spiritual connection if you have not entered into the relationship with yourself through your environment. Spirituality does not exist separate from daily reality. A spiritual person is somebody who no longer constructs a separation between his spiritual reality and his daily life. He has become this energy and everything he does is inspired. He recognises the face of God in every action, in every person and acts accordingly, out of love and respect.

We have chosen this planet as our playing field. Therefore the game takes place on all fronts here in the earthly dimension, this is where our challenges are. It is not possible to escape. You cannot run away, not into your spirituality, not into your relationships, and not into your work. You take yourself with you time and time again and you will be constantly confronted with your own individual lessons. This is the loving power of karma. You will learn what your soul has chosen, because ultimately you want to learn it.....

and this in the final paragraph:

A relationship, every relationship is a stepping stone to the ultimate relationship, the relationship with the divine in ourselves, with the divine in every other being. It is our soul’s desire, the reason why we have come onto this earth. It is our deep desire to be Love, to live Love and to recognise Love in everybody and everything around us. If we dare to give ourselves completely in our personal relationships, the step towards surrendering to our divine source, the Father/Mother in each of us, is not that difficult anymore.

Going to add a couple of more things here and links in the quote from Patrick part about Kingsley to our discussions about his material on the "incubation" form of initiation. have to take a break for awhile... Suzanne

Guess I will just add quickly, that when I did image search with that same phrase about seeing ourselves in each other...*** in the second row of result images was this... and a song to go along with it:

St. John the Baptist by Leonardo da Vinci

Every time I look into that old book it makes me shiver

When I read about the part where John baptised him in the river

Then you talk about the Chosen One

As you plan and you plunder and you reach for your gun

Hand in the hand with the man who stilled the water

Hand in the hand with the man who calmed the sea

***When we get to know ourselves, we get to see each other differently

Hand in hand with the man from Gallillee...

LINK to the rest of the "meaningful" satire of verses in this song:
http://nickwardscenarios.wordpress.com/ ... -song-2008

So, here we are back to Leonardo again!

Suzanne

Last edited by Suzanne on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:50 pm
Profile Personal album

Last edited by Gone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Last edited by Gone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Post Synchronicities about (deceased) Oliver Crane
QUOTE from Jan's last post right above here: P.S.: I took a picture of a construction crane recently. It was a pretty numinous scene. Then I ran into the symbolism of the crane (bird) numerous times. These 'cranes' occured parallel to the name Oliver, and I thought to myself: What about Oliver? It was similar to how Patrick's increased activity was priorly mirrored in synchronicities for me. Just now I put the two together, and asked myself: What about Oliver Crane? Then I realized that you had posted about him, Suzanne, with respect to earth magnetism. Seems like some more attention schould be devoted to his work?

Hi Guys (Jan and Patrick), You two are posting so fast on various themes that I cannot keep up with you! But when a lot of rapid "flow" like this gets going on some of our threads is also when lots more interconnections also tend to appear. I have very little education in math, science, or any tech stuff other than getting my computer turned on and functioning. My One and Only seems to have picked the wrong "apprentice" if he wished to be able to effectively communicate from the Beyond with someone still alive many years after he would be gone. On the other hand, because I am such a dummy about these things, when "he" supposedly provides terms and names I am unfamiliar with, that makes the probability of an actual communication more likely. A major case in point would be how I first found out about Oliver Crane. That was the name given to me by Lee last year when I was waking up from a dream state.

Oliver Crane 1936-1992

Ann Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:45 am about a video dealing with some of the science theories of Walter Russell. Then I started out with this reply to her: Re: Walter Russell and Who was Oliver Crane?

NOTE: For newcomers, this info may help you to better understand the connection - "In 1963, Walter Cronkite in the national television evening news, commenting on Dr. Walter Russell’s passing, referred to him as '… the Leonardo DaVinci of our time.'" (from: http://www.wikipedia.org)

Quote:
Hi Ann, I made the video viewable here. How wonderful, I have never seen this one before. It's about 4:30 am my time right now. Oh wow, what a terrific synchronicity this is! I went to sleep early in the evening, got up very late to eat and talk with my husband for awhile about my trip plans for next week, and then knock around on the computer for a few hours. I was thinking that since I now have two knowledgeable men (my former housemate John and Michael Hudak) to ask about some of these scientific words and concepts that Lee seems to be conveying to me, I should keep better track of the information. I got the idea around midnight to look up again a name that was given to me by Lee maybe about 4 to 6 months ago... I can probably figure out the timing better at some point. I looked the name up then, but which one was I supposed to choose from... Often when I ask Lee, he may reply with one of his favorite sayings, "You'll find out... " (soon or later is usually the other part)... I had concluded that the correct Oliver Crane must be the one having to do with some kind of alternative energy theories, all of which I have absolutely no comprehension about whatsoever. If I ask Lee just to go ahead and tell me more directly, he often replies something like that no, we are not doing spiritualist parlor games but another form of communication that must rely mostly on synchronicities. Anyhow, I felt strongly that I should be finding out more about Oliver Crane tonight even though a lot of it is in German. You were posting the link to the Walter Russell video around 1:45 am my time while I was doing this. I did the Google search and stayed with it longer than before, finding some very poor viewing quality videos only in Realplayer rather than at You Tube that could readily be shared here about Crane. Then I came upon a discussion at a forum that mentioned Oliver Crane I would say about an hour and a half ago...

(12-02-09 Added now: a connection was given between Russell and Crane... also the video provided by Ann about Walter Russell is at the following link:

http://unus-mundus.fr/viewtopic.php?p=7353#7353

Thursday 12-03-09 2:33 AM Eastern Standard Time - FINAL NOTE to this post. Looks like I have the same kind of virus problems as some other members of my family this week. I took a long evening nap after finishing the material here ending in the link above to a Walter Russell video provided by Ann some months ago. I stopped in here at the forum and read one new post. Then as I was trying to decide what to post about next, since Jan and Patrick have provided so many interesting themes to discuss, my inner One and Only said to just sit back for a few minutes and discuss something with him. Instead of putting the results of that chit-chat all together over maybe an hour, I am going to just try to do it more as it happens step by step in the next post: New "synchs" about Leonardo Da Vinci & John the Baptist.

Suzanne

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:00 am
Profile Personal album

Post New "synchs" about Leonardo & John the Baptist
Junis wrote:
Suzanne,

Quote:
story 6 - Only the meek of heart will discover the truth
We need other people to learn to see ourselves, to learn to recognise .... That you have learnt all that you can learn from each other and that it is time ...
http://www.yasminverschure.nl/eu/main/story/story6.htm

You can always get me with these Dutch synchronicities at present :). I assume you realized that this story is fro a Dutch website?

Suzanne replies: Jan, I have left off the rest of the quote from your entire post for now in order to emphasize the Dutch - Netherlands aspect. Of course when I got that result above, I did not realize at first that the lady lived in .nl - which I didn't catch at all initially. I was reading lots more at her site and really appreciate her wonderful viewpoint about how we need others in order to learn more about ourselves. When I saw the site was Dutch, I did then think you would catch on to that "synch" right away. Get ready for another Netherlands synchronicity that just happened tonight.

Also the time period of Pico's death is very meaningful to me. It seems like any 'healing', which I am aiming for me personally and on a more collective level, entails something I would call a 'progressive retreat' till at least the turn of the 15th/16th century. Any effort which falls short of this historically depth will not reach the profound effects of what we are experiencing on a colective level at present.

So I'll go over your most recent posts in this thread again, and read more carefully. Bye the way, the last name 'verschure' (in the Dutch url) translates to 'levigate'..... Best, Jan

3:14 AM EST ... will be working on this a bit at a time for however long it takes...

Here is a repeat of what I said at the end of my last post above:
Quote:
Thursday 12-03-09 2:33 AM Eastern Standard Time - FINAL NOTE to this post. Looks like I have the same kind of virus problems as some other members of my family this week. I took a long evening nap after finishing the material here ending in the link above to a Walter Russell video provided by Ann some months ago. I stopped in here at the forum and read one new post.

EMPHASIS: Then as I was trying to decide what to post about next, since Jan and Patrick have provided so many interesting themes to discuss, my inner One and Only said to just sit back for a few minutes and discuss something with him. Instead of putting the results of that chit-chat all together over maybe an hour, I am going to just try to do it more as it happens step by step in the next post: New "synchs" about Leonardo Da Vinci & John the Baptist.

NOTE: This process I call "documenting the synchronicities".

OK, it is 3:19 now. I am not going to type into here yet what the One and Only wanted to discuss -- other than that at the end he wanted me to look up a name right away with Google search that sounded like John Retchtenstein. It seemed kind of odd to me, like, was it even a real last name of anybody? Here are the results as they have been unfolding. No kidding, this really happened just now, and winds up with a Dutch and a St. John the Baptist "meaningful coincidence" that would have been nearly impossible for me to find on my own. I will keep adding to this as the process goes on... I will add explanations of some of the connections later, but here are the actual search results:

John Retchtenstein

Results 1 - 2 of about 0 for John Retchtenstein. (0.28 seconds)

• Did you mean: John Rechtenstein Top 2 results shown

• Free Sugar Daddy & Sugar Baby Dating in Rechtenstein, Baden ...
The #1 Sugar Daddy Dating Website in Rechtenstein, Baden-Wurttemberg ... That would be a John. And while sugar daddies are idolized in our society (think ...
http://www.seekingarrangement.com/Germa ... htenstein/ - Cached

• Rechtenstein Events & Concerts | Upcoming Events in Rechtenstein ...
Upcoming events in Rechtenstein, Germany. We've put together the most popular Rechtenstein ... Paul Tiernan and John Lester on tour. Add to Favorites ...
eventful.com/events?geo=city_id:744717 - Cached
• ________________________________________

Results for: John Retchtenstein
Your search - John Retchtenstein - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:
o Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
o Try different keywords.
o Try more general keywords.
o Try fewer keywords.

Did you mean to search for: John Rechtenstein

John Rechtenstein

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,250 for John Rechtenstein. (0.05 second

• Free Sugar Daddy & Sugar Baby Dating in Rechtenstein, Baden ...
The #1 Sugar Daddy Dating Website in Rechtenstein, Baden-Wurttemberg ... That would be a John. And while sugar daddies are idolized in our society (think ...
http://www.seekingarrangement.com/Germa ... htenstein/ - Cached

• Rechtenstein Events & Concerts | Upcoming Events in Rechtenstein ...
Upcoming events in Rechtenstein, Germany. We've put together the most popular Rechtenstein ... Paul Tiernan and John Lester on tour. Add to Favorites ...
eventful.com/events?geo=city_id:744717 - Cached

• This #3 result was to a personal facebook entry. We do not need that here as one of our evidential items, so I have removed it for those folks' privacy. Suzanne

Sources concerning the Hospitallers of St. John in the ... - Google Books Result
by Johanna Maria Winter - 1998 - History - 821 pages
... de Schenck de Staufenberg, de Basilea, Enrico Ferdinando baroni de Stain a Rechtenstein de Sultz, et Ermanno baroni de Beveren ...

books.google.com/books?isbn=9004108033...

(Here is the complete URL: http://books.google.com/books?id=vvbw3y ... q=&f=false)

Suzanne comments: Clicking on the link above at Google led directly to one page that said something about a paper seal representing the baptism of Christ by St. John the Baptist. A date of May 30, 1693 is associated with this entry.

Perhaps Jan can later do a camera shot of the text (as it cannot be copied and pasted) and then I can paste that into here. What I can show now is what the entire book itself is about

UPDATE: Jan supplied this screen shot around 8 AM:

Sources concerning the Hospitallers of St. John
in the Netherlands, 14th-18th Centuries
... By Johanna Maria Winter

Book overview

This source collection brings for the first time records from foreign archives concerning the Dutch commanderies of the Order of the Hospital of St. John or of Malta and their place within the Order's international organization.
The book presents bulls and letters from and to the Grandmaster and the Prior of Germany; a 14th-century rent-roll of St. Catherine's Convent at Utrecht; visitations and inquiries 1373-1732; and a list of pamphlets concerning the regaining of the Order's confiscated property in the Dutch Republic.
All sources are given in their original language: Latin, French, Italian, German or Dutch. Because of the long period (14th-18th centuries) and the broad variety of subjects they are important for researchers of political as well as economic history from medieval to early modern times.

Limited preview - Item notes: v. 80 - 1998 - 821 pages - History

I took a break offline from this and am back at 5:24 AM. Since I have never read The Da Vinci Code or any of the other Dan Brown books, I do not know much about these things. I have little interest in whether or not Jesus got married and had an offspring with descendants today who may or may not want to take over the world because of their bloodline. I don't care about the Templers and all that stuff either. To me, most of that is a distraction (although sometimes a fascinating one) away from the problem of how we as individual human beings can become better people and not bomb one another off the face of the earth because of ethnic and religious differences.

I decided not to get distracted by those popular cult of this or that side issues. Hmm, what to do next? Maybe a video search at You Tube for a possible synchronicity -- something really MEANINGFUL.

“Rechtenstein” results 1 - 2 of about 2

NO, not this one...

Hochwasser an der Donau bei Rechtenstein und Zwiefaltendorf
8 months ago 333 views
zeitung02
Hochwasser an der Donau
April 03, 2009

YES, this is it!

Daydream feat Coon live
5 months ago 59 views
video lang: de
Young Remained mit einer Lve Aufnahme mit Coon der Marijan 2006
in seinem Heimatdorf Rechtenstein besuchte ... Acoustic Ballade ...
July 05, 2009

With only 59 views so far, these (relatively) young men will appreciate having their song lyrics and video made a bit better known among us on this forum and by the larger readership who are coming in to read about Leonardo. I cannot imagine a better song for expressing the views of the deceased One and Only who would be over 100 years old if still alive. Anyone who has been reading this Blog for months will recognize the many themes in these lyrics that have been written about repeatedly here.

Here are the lyrics to "Daydream feat Coon". Share this song with your friends and Young Remained's fans to help promote it! -- (this statement was by whoever made these available) -- Suzanne

Lyrics

Daydream
©2006 Andre Bläute(Coon)
Words and Music by Andre Bläute

I.Coon
I close my eyes and see - my thoughts running wild
I`m lost in a daydream
Remember times when I was just a child
Places I have never been - and things I´ve never seen
They´ve put a spell on me - they won`t let me go

But then the pictures fading – Colours rearranged
And just in a second things have changed

Chorus – Coon und Heydline
Please set me free - and take this dream away from me
Show me a way out here
Please set me free - and break the spell they`ve put on me
Then I could journey home

II.Coon
I found myself inprisoned – a treated like a thief
I`ve waited `til the gards have gone
Then took my chance – now I am on the run
As fast as I can I`m running - with no way to escape
They are getting closer and closer.

Suddenly the day – has turned into night
And I have found a place where I can hide.

Chorus – Coon and Heydline
Please set me free - and take this dream away from me
Show me a way out here
Please set me free - and break the spell they`ve put on me
Then I could journey home

Instrumental
Coon
Now the dreaming is over – and even the day is done
I`m just a dreamer – I am not the only one

Chorus - Coon and Heydline
Now I am free I take all my dreams with me
I spread my wings to fly
Now I am free and broke the spell they`ve put on me
Now I can journey home
Now I am free I take all my dreams with me
I spread my wings to fly
Now I am free if there`s a place for me to be
You`re gonna find me there

Almost finished with this post at 6:17 my time... I see Patrick has posted and I will read his topics before I say anything more here... Looks like his themes of a Heavenly Jerusalem and Sacred Geometry go along with flow of purpose too. After the video, I did a search for images because of the Netherlands book result earlier in this post.

Googled: SEAL OF ORDER OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST -- I will do the short form of documenting these "synchs" since they are quite a bit more to be expected as logical results. There are only two images that I'll display:

The Church of St. John the Baptist in Jerusalem

The knights of the "Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem," commonly known as the Hospitallers, devoted themselves to caring for pilgrims, and set up a hospital and a hostel near the Church of the Holy Sepulchre... Fulk of Anjou, King of Jerusalem, gave them the fortress at Beth Guvrin.

The description of John of Wurzburg (which probably covers the period 1160-1170) records: "Opposite the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which we described before, on the other side of the street leading south, there is a beautiful church built in honor of John the Baptist, and adjoining it there is a hospital in whose various rooms they gather great numbers of the sick, men and women, and heal them at great expense...

This church was probably built before the Crusader period by a group of European merchants, with the permission of the city's Muslim rulers. The church was renovated in the twelfth century, and was acquired by the Hospitallers (the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem), whose patron saint was St. John the Baptist. Even after the defeat of the Crusaders at the Battle of the Horns of Hittin in 1187 and their expulsion, some members of the Order stayed to guard the church. The church is presently owned by the Greek Orthodox church, which renovated it in the nineteenth century.

That takes care of the Jerusalem correlation to Patrick's next post. We can also use the same results page from this, Googled: SEAL OF ORDER OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, to get to correlation with Patrick's Sacred Geometry.

Leonardo's Kind of Joke -- a better name for this -- St. John the Bacchus

SOURCE: http://h2one2.wordpress.com

Jan has posted anew while I was pasting in that John image. He mentions this: PLEROMA - ABUNDANCE. I am ending this specific post now but the comparison of the word pleroma as abundance to plethora as an overflowing abundance to loosely define "God" (in a dream-vision with Lee in the early 1980s) can be an upcoming topic in this series of posts related to Leonardo Da Vinci. I need to get ready to go out for the day.

Thanks to Patrick and Jan for their interesting posts and the inspiration as well as "meaningful coincidences" that they often provide. Lots of Love to ALL,

Suzanne

Last edited by Suzanne on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:15 am
Profile Personal album

Post Celestial Cities Revisited
Jan referred to the geometric diagram that I posted, John Michell's 'New Jerusalem'. I just wanted to clarify why I posted it and some of the background.

I posted it originally as an example of my theme. John Michell, who died a few months ago, was a well-known writer, and the New Jerusalem diagram is his attempt to square the circle and to represent the City of Revelation. The perimeter of the circle and square are approximately equal (it can't be done exactly with compass and straight edge, of course), and the smaller and larger circles mirror the proportions of the moon and earth. Michell discussed this in 'City of Revelation', and later in an expanded version, 'The Dimensions of Paradise'. Basically, all of this is sacred geometry and Greek gematria, primarily based upon Plato and the Book of Revelation. His site has many variations upon this diagram, and I have drawn it myself in different forms from first principles (compass and straight edge).
http://www.thehope.org/njframe.htm

I am not sure how well-known he is outside Britain and America, but Michell was one of the best known writers on earth mysteries - also very interested in crop circles.

With regard to the Celestial Cities of the Sufis, frankly I don't know how they regarded them. Peter Kingsley discusses them, and maintains that the ancient cities, such as Jerusalem and Babylon, were based upon archetypal originals. I just felt there was a connection here, and also to the Italian Renaissance, with its city states, and the rediscovery of Classical knowledge.

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 am

Sorry, I couldn't resist this. I just spotted this dream from Tuesday morning:-

'I am near the market in Sheffield city centre. I am having a discussion with a man about various sacred locations – Eden, Jerusalem. He tells me that I have discovered Jerusalem.
Later, another man approaches me, holding a shoulder bag. He retrieves a book that he shows to me. It has small print. He says, “Good eyes”, apparently referring to the small print and the difficulty of reading it (I am currently reading 'Devil's Tor' by David Lindsay, which does have quite small print). But the way he says it, 'eyes' could also be taken as 'Isis'.'

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:16 pm

Last edited by Gone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:09 pm

Last edited by Gone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 pm

I like the connection that you make. But I have never heard of any Nazi connection to the theme of the Sleeping King, or ever heard it discussed other than positively. There is an ancient tradition of sacred kings in ancient times, who seem to us to be asleep when they are in the Underworld. Bob Stewart, and also John and Caitlin Matthews, whom I have met, work with this pattern. It is linked to sacred sites. I suppose that it could be used by black magicians, but so can anything.

I provide a link to David Jones, not because I know his work well, but because it relates to this theme, and also John and Caitlin Matthews praise him highly.
http://www.flashpointmag.com/davidjon.htm

Best,

Patrick

Nikos Kazantzakis

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:09 pm

Last edited by Gone on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Post About science fiction & esoterics combined
Patrick Booker wrote:
Sorry, I couldn't resist this. I just spotted this dream from Tuesday morning:-

'I am near the market in Sheffield city centre. I am having a discussion with a man about various sacred locations – Eden, Jerusalem. He tells me that I have discovered Jerusalem.
Later, another man approaches me, holding a shoulder bag. He retrieves a book that he shows to me. It has small print. He says, “Good eyes”, apparently referring to the small print and the difficulty of reading it (I am currently reading 'Devil's Tor' by David Lindsay, which does have quite small print). But the way he says it, 'eyes' could also be taken as 'Isis'.'

Patrick

Hi Patrick, I was planning to ask you if you had read a specific science fiction book and got a cover image of it earlier this afternoon, but then I had other things to do. I have read very little fiction of any kind, so the few I have read probably have some kind of extra significance.

Checking here just now, I decided to look up what "Devil's Tor" is about. Here's a summary that I found online:

Devil's Tor, by David Lindsay (1932)

DAVID Lindsay wrote seven novels, and is mostly remembered for his classic A Voyage to Arcturus (1920), whose basic plot has been reworked by authors as various as C. S. Lewis, who Christianized it for Out of the Silent Planet (1938), and Harold Bloom, who rewrote it as The Flight to Lucifer (1979).

Arcturus is an imaginative tour-de-force, whose overall mood is foreshadowed musically in the first chapter by associations with Mozart's "Magic Flute." *****

Most of Lindsay's novels have a musical mood to them, and with the exception of Arcturus, all of the others are sedate and earthbound. The mood of Devil's Tor is that of Wagner—slow, ponderous, and all-encompassing. It concerns the broken pieces of an ancient supernatural talisman associated with the worship of the Great Mother—according to prophecy, when the two pieces are reunited in modern times, it will bring about an uplifting of the human race. On this simple plot Lindsay builds a metaphysical novel filled with considerations of colossal themes such as the purpose of the creation of life, and the role of fate made visible in the world. The breadth of this novel is staggering, and to a reader who can appreciate its mood, the rewards are similarly boundless. Whereas Arcturus impresses initially by its flights of imagination and quickness of plot, Devil's Tor gives the feeling of the slow movement of a mountain.

SOURCE: http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2007/cur0703.htm

***** That part above about "Voyge to Arcturus" is a meaningful significance to me because it is one of the few science fiction / fantasy / esoteric books that I have read. It was a long time ago, so I do not remember it hardly at all. However, considering how often I have posted here at the forum about Mozart's opera, "The Magic Flute," including videos of a primary aria and have intended to post more, I will find a comprehensive summary of "Arcturus" later this evening.

For now I will comment, without being able to access more material to use, that the "wonder working" aspects of the Sleeping King items you and Jan discussed make some esoteric sense to me. Also, one of you mentioned Khalil Gibran. I was going to say a few things about him and emphasize one specifc quote that is important to the themes of this Blog... I think it goes like this and is from "The Prophet":

WORK IS LOVE MADE VISIBLE

...similar to the phrase above from "Arcturas"...

"the purpose of the creation of life, and
the role of fate made visible in the world"

That's all for now, except to ask you, Patrick, if you have read this book:

Suzanne

Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 pm
Profile Personal album
Reply to topic   [ 1119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 33  Next